The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

I don’t see why Juneteenth shouldn’t get cookout accoutrements like every other holiday.

”It’s the freedom for me” is pretty hilarious 😂

One last post on the Tim Anderson/Josh Donaldson situation, and it is something I think most Black folks have had to deal with at some point in their lives.

When conflicts like this occur, it is often the case that there is a presumption that the Black man must have done something, even it was just to provoke the aggression by the white person. It was hard to watch that interview at the locker and see TA have to immediately say “I wasn’t bothering anybody” because of those exact assumptions.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So I didn't know who this guy was but this article certainly has an interesting take on what happened. :|

628cb7941e0000caeb1b55bc.png?cache=44rFz
WWW.HUFFPOST.COM

The fight reportedly started when the employee asked Langley for the wheelchair he used to carry his luggage.

The video on TMZ starts a little sooner than the one in the tweet, but still doesn’t show the start of the fight. I laughed when the employee kinda squares up and bounces back and forth like he’s imitating boxers he’s seen in movies. 

On 5/25/2022 at 6:41 AM, TheLeon said:

The video on TMZ starts a little sooner than the one in the tweet, but still doesn’t show the start of the fight. I laughed when the employee kinda squares up and bounces back and forth like he’s imitating boxers he’s seen in movies. 

The other video starts earlier and the employee still appears to slap him first but like you said, it's nowhere near the beginning of that altercation. This guy is baffling because he goes for several rock-backs with his hands down like he watched too many showboating clips on YT and doesn't realize he's in a real fight. He gets rocked over and over with his hands down. It's baffling because he clearly THINKS he's boxing here.

I'll be curious to see the full footage hit at some point because based on the filmed shit, it sure looks like employee guy bitch-slapped him first.  

13 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Book banning in the US: The authors of color censors are trying to silence

220517073103-banned-book-authors-hero-su
WWW.CNN.COM

Young adult authors of color are fed up with being targeted.

Of course, this is being done under the guise of an utterly depraved interpretation of MLK's vision of a "colorblind" society.  In essence, the white power structure co-opted that message and twisted it to mean that ANY race-centric work (especially if it comes from a non-white source) represents a violation of King's noble vision.

Always and forever:

6 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Of course, this is being done under the guise of an utterly depraved interpretation of MLK's vision of a "colorblind" society.  In essence, the white power structure co-opted that message and twisted it to mean that ANY race-centric work (especially if it comes from a non-white source) represents a violation of King's noble vision.

Yes this came up in a piece I produced and edited Damn near ten years ago. I'll let the President of the NAACP Legal Defense Fund explain it best... 

Remember this was almost TEN years ago.

• Halal 3

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0605%2Fr1021796_
WWW.ESPN.COM

A number of Rays players decided not to wear rainbow-colored logos on their uniforms as part of the team's annual "Pride Night" on Saturday that recognized the LGBTQ...

"So it's a hard decision," Adam told the Tampa Bay Times. "Because ultimately we all said what we want is them to know that all are welcome and loved here. But when we put it on our bodies, I think a lot of guys decided that it's just a lifestyle that maybe -- not that they look down on anybody or think differently -- it's just that maybe we don't want to encourage it if we believe in Jesus, who's encouraged us to live a lifestyle that would abstain from that behavior

Need to ban this Bible people keep hiding behind to justify their hatred

The whole Rays Pride Night situation reminded me of this tweet from the other day which I think perfectly sums up how I feel anytime big companies *talk* about justice issues but don’t really do anything

On the one hand...yes, many companies are just trying to fit in with younger generations and don't actually care. On the other...it's a good litmus test to see where the assholes are, the ones who refuse to even do these easy performative measures. The people who say things like "Changing your profile pick or flying a pride flag doesn't aktually help queer people" are 100% correct, but also usually 100% assholes who have issues with queer people.

56 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

On the one hand...yes, many companies are just trying to fit in with younger generations and don't actually care. On the other...it's a good litmus test to see where the assholes are, the ones who refuse to even do these easy performative measures. The people who say things like "Changing your profile pick or flying a pride flag doesn't aktually help queer people" are 100% correct, but also usually 100% assholes who have issues with queer people.

This is not limited to pride month. You see businesses that will promote things like women’s rights while still have an all male board and a most male executive team. Same thing when Black History Month rolls around and a bunch of white dominated companies will talk about the importance of Black folks in our society, yet have a long history of denying Black employees opportunities.

Show what matters to by your actions

30 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is not limited to pride month. You see businesses that will promote things like women’s rights while still have an all male board and a most male executive team. Same thing when Black History Month rolls around and a bunch of white dominated companies will talk about the importance of Black folks in our society, yet have a long history of denying Black employees opportunities.

Show what matters to by your actions

Absolutely.

• 3 weeks later...
700.png
APNEWS.COM

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Public schools in Texas would describe slavery to second graders as “involuntary relocation” under new social studies standards proposed to the state's education board. A group of nine educators submitted the idea to the State Board of Education as part of Texas' efforts to develop new social studies curriculum, according to the Texas Tribune .

• Guillotine 2

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

ROME (AP) — Soprano Angel Blue says she won’t perform in an opera in Italy this month because blackface was used in the staging of a different work this summer on the same stage. The U.S. singer posted a note on her angeljoyblue Instagram page saying she will be bowing out of “La Traviata” at Verona’s Arena this month because the theater recently mounted another Giuseppe Verdi opera, “Aida,” that had performers...

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:
3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

ROME (AP) — Soprano Angel Blue says she won’t perform in an opera in Italy this month because blackface was used in the staging of a different work this summer...

I remember a similar thing coming up with a German production company and an American performer like 15 years ago and the Germans sincerely just didn't get what the big deal was. It's always struck me as cultural imperialism to demand that people abroad should just automatically take things exactly the same way you'd expect an American to. 

On 7/16/2022 at 9:56 PM, Jason said:

I remember a similar thing coming up with a German production company and an American performer like 15 years ago and the Germans sincerely just didn't get what the big deal was. It's always struck me as cultural imperialism to demand that people abroad should just automatically take things exactly the same way you'd expect an American to. 

Huh? Slavery and racism isn't just an American thing. Black face is wrong here and its wrong in Europe and anywhere else as well. How is pointing that out "Cultural imperialism?" Damn... that's a new one. Anywhooo

barnes-31.jpg
NEWPITTSBURGHCOURIER.COM

Photo: Getty Images The daughter of a late Black kidney patient wants justice against the security guards who attacked and wrongly detained him, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. The shocking incident begins with Hughie Robinson heading back to the Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis after staff told him he left his wallet there. Just … Continued

28 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Huh? Slavery and racism isn't just an American thing. Black face is wrong here and its wrong in Europe and anywhere else as well. How is pointing that out "Cultural imperialism?" Damn... that's a new one. Anywhooo

barnes-31.jpg
NEWPITTSBURGHCOURIER.COM

Photo: Getty Images The daughter of a late Black kidney patient wants justice against the security guards who attacked and wrongly detained him, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. The shocking incident begins with Hughie Robinson heading back to the Barnes-Jewish...

I just finished reading this story after refusing to watch the video. The craziest part is that there's one security guard there that was asked by hospital staff to help their patient find his car and instead of helping him or telling the other guards he was a patient, he joined in on the beating.

Sue the hospital and each one of those guards. They aren't cops. They shouldn't get immunity. The fact they haven't been charged with a crime is criminal. Again, I get why it happens with cops, but this is hospital security.

WTF, I didn't realized security tried to ban him from the hospital AFTER they verified he was a patient just looking for his car.

On 7/5/2022 at 2:12 PM, Keyser_Soze said:
700.png
APNEWS.COM

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Public schools in Texas would describe slavery to second graders as “involuntary relocation” under new social studies standards proposed to the state's education board. A group of nine educators submitted the idea to...

Isn’t that just a fancy way to say kidnapping and kidnapping doesn’t necessarily also mean brutal beatings and forced hard labour so it’s not the correct word.  I think slavery is the correct word

• 2 weeks later...
3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

BOSTON (AP) — A suburban Boston police officer who was pursuing a white suspect pinned a 20-year-old Black man to the ground as he was walking home and placed a knee on the man's neck despite having no evidence that he was involved in any crime, according to a federal civil rights lawsuit filed Wednesday.

• Guillotine 1