The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

black-class-action-20220928.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

Black civil servants are ramping up their pressure on the federal government by filing a complaint with the United Nations alleging Ottawa violated their civil rights.

"This complaint details systemic and anti-Black racism in hiring and promotions within Canada's federal public service," said Nicholas Marcus Thompson, executive director of the Black Class Action Secretariat.

55 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is a hard one for me. I agree with your POV about Mormons and how over the top not racist they are, but the interview with the player felt like she was being genuine. I also think it could be true that it didn’t happen but could also be true that she believed she heard what was actually something else. Doesn’t feel like the Jussie Smollet situation to me.

This is where I lean on that particular story. When you're in a loud enclosed space where people are going to shout a word that sort of rhymes with that word ("Cougar", BYU mascot) then I could see how a mistake could be made.

6 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

This is where I lean on that particular story. When you're in a loud enclosed space where people are going to shout a word that sort of rhymes with that word ("Cougar", BYU mascot) then I could see how a mistake could be made.

You dirty ass cougar. Go back to Utah!

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean...aren't there more than a few stories of visiting teams in Utah getting very racist treatment from fans?

Two thoughts on this. I've heard those stories about Jazz games.

1. But I've heard those kinds of stories for other places too. I lived in Detroit and heard that kind of shit all the time.

2. Utah is very white. I don't know that our number of racists is higher per capita than other places, but the racists will definitely feel less anxiety about being racist when everyone around them is similarly pigmented.

“They’re raising him like a little white kid,” Martinez said. “I was like, this kid needs a beatdown. Let me take him around the corner and then I’ll bring him back.”

The kid in question isn't even three years old.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Colonialism is quite the bitch.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's pretty bad especially in Latin America. Afro Latinos have been fighting for their rights for decades in Latin America.

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I honestly had no idea how much racism there was by Latin Americans towards Black people until I began visiting my wife’s family down at the border. 

In the series of episodes of Mike Duncan's "Revolutions" podcast that dealt with the Spanish-American Wars of Independence and the Mexican Revolution(s), the treatment of the African populations of those societies was very much a topic of discussion.  If anything, the racial laws in those societies might have even been more stringent than those of the United States.

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

In the series of episodes of Mike Duncan's "Revolutions" podcast that dealt with the Spanish-American Wars of Independence and the Mexican Revolution(s), the treatment of the African populations of those societies was very much a topic of discussion.  If anything, the racial laws in those societies might have even been more stringent than those of the United States.

Colorism is REAL deep in Latin America. My ex is Spanish and Afro-Cuban but growing up in Los Angeles that made her and her siblings "Black" by default according to the predominately mexican neighbors she grew up around despite the fact that Spanish is her first language and she didn't learn English until she was five. Shit, just see how The Dominican Republic treats their Hatian neighbors... or any Dominicans who LOOK like they could be Haitian. I've heard of cases of native born Dominicans being "deported" to Haiti simply because they "Looked Haitian."

It's crazy given Mexico's history dealing with race and how Mexico abolished slavery and granted freedom to any slaves who set foot in Mexico. Shit, Mexico beat America to the punch by 200 years. They had their first black president in the 1800's.

20 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Colorism is REAL deep in Latin America. My ex is Spanish and Afro-Cuban but growing up in Los Angeles that made her and her siblings "Black" by default according to the predominately mexican neighbors she grew up around despite the fact that Spanish is her first language and she didn't learn English until she was five. Shit, just see how The Dominican Republic treats their Hatian neighbors... or any Dominicans who LOOK like they could be Haitian. I've heard of cases of native born Dominicans being "deported" to Haiti simply because they "Looked Haitian."

It's crazy given Mexico's history dealing with race and how Mexico abolished slavery and granted freedom to any slaves who set foot in Mexico. Shit, Mexico beat America to the punch by 200 years. They had their first black president in the 1800's.

It's some fucked up, misplaced anger and resentment. Can't be angry at the colonists because they'll kill you, so instead let's redirect our anger at the poor blacks that are being brought in to replace all our people that as we're being killed off. Then, once the slavery ends and everyone is free, the colonist gets to keep all that money. At first there's misplaced resentment and now it's time to further otherize them while trying to buddy up with the rich and well off folk, because it's always easier to work your way up when there are others you can push down.

This tweet reminded me of something that many Black and brown people experience on a regular basis, the assumption that they must be “the help” or some other sort of low level labor. My wife experienced this on many occasions when our daughter (who looks just like my very Irish mother) was a baby. People would assume my wife was the nanny, because of course a Hispanic woman toting around a white baby must be the nanny

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This tweet reminded me of something that many Black and brown people experience on a regular basis, the assumption that they must be “the help” or some other sort of low level labor. My wife experienced this on many occasions when our daughter (who looks just like my very Irish mother) was a baby. People would assume my wife was the nanny, because of course a Hispanic woman toting around a white baby must be the nanny

Similar experiences with my fiancé.

White guy out with a black woman in an affluent area in fucking California of all places, “oh do you and your friend have questions?” Or, how she’s treated in the same places vs how were treated when we’re together.

I share this story as often as I can; I as a cis straight white male with “pretty privilege” fully understood white privilege at an emotional level when I watched my fiancé have to alter her tone based on what social context she was in. I’ve never had to do that.

• Halal 1

35 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It's always cool being mistaken for a janitor when you're one of the IT managers. There's one company in particular I can think of that always had folks telling me about clogged toilets even while my desk is covered in laptops.