The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

Downtown Minneapolis is fucked.  Watching a live stream of somebody roaming around the city.  There's an insane number of buildings on fire and pretty much every business under the sun has been looted.  I cannot even fathom to guess how much damage there will be when this is all said and done.  

Hah!  Russian state media is ABSOLUTELY making hay of this according to my flat-mate who is speaking with her family.  The story is running practically 24/7 over there.  The story is largely focused on the "fascism" and "racism" of American law enforcement.  The Kremlin is running the IDENTICAL playbook that they used from the 1950s/1960s with the American law enforcement response to the civil rights movement.

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

So we're just excusing looting now as long as you have a good reason?

The state murdered a man without reason on video for the world to see. The same state that isn't properly providing for people during a time when huge swaths are unemployed, sick, dead, and just not getting the assistance they need to reduce those everyday stresses everyone is feeling. Oh, and it's also lying about how many people are dying. At the exact time, the president is baselessly calling a journalist a murderer against the plees if the deceased's family and retweeting a video saying the only good Democrat is a dead one to the cheers of conservatives.

By state here, I'm just referring to government in general. So yeah, people probably have a good reason to riot and loot and I'm shocked it even took this long to happen. Anyone not expecting some looting and rioting to happen under Trump's pandemic response is crazy.

It might not all technically be related, but that's just a semantic argument this many months in.

1 minute ago, Firewithin said:

no tears are being had at a billion dollar corporation who pays as little as possible to employees and who will get everything back from insurance 

No no, David Target and Issac AutoZone worked their whole lives and poured everything into their stores

20 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

The state murdered a man without reason on video for the world to see. The same state that isn't properly providing for people during a time when huge swaths are unemployed, sick, don't, and just not getting the assistance they need to reduce those everyday stresses everyone is feeling. Oh, and it's also lying about how many people are dying. At the exact time, the president is baselessly calling a journalist a murderer against the plees if the deceased family and retweeting a video saying the only good Democrat is a dead one to the cheers of conservatives.

By state here, I'm just referring to government in general. So yeah, people probably have a good reason to riot and loot and I'm shocked it even took this long to happen. Anyone not expecting some looting and rioting to happen under Trump's pandemic response is crazy.

It might not all technically be related, but that's just a semantic argument this many months in.

Don't forget the same state downplaying the pandemic so people can go back to work when it clearly isn't safe yet but ya kno fuck you got mine. Get back to your job slaves I need to make more money. 

Much like the rest of disconnected America, one of my largest concerns during all of this is the plethora of bystanders who are just going about their own lives, yet get affected by this sort of thing, just because they're in the middle of it when it happens, and neither the people protesting or the people who are protected from the protesters, are under any type of safety umbrella. I remember this during the Rodney King riots while I was living in San Francisco. I commiserated with a lot of the people who were protesting, but at the same time, when I had to return home from work (the whole thing erupted in the middle of the day while I was at work), I literally had no way of getting home and ended up stranded on the streets waiting for a bus that never showed up while the streets were practically deserted aside from wandering vehicles of marauders actually looking for potential victims to actually assault (which they did). I got lucky and ducked my way around obstacles (it was like walking through a post-battle war zone, which I had actually done in my lifetime already for real), and talk about some PTSD moments there.

After all this was over, I remember liberal voices actually stating that those "innocent bystanders" deserved everything they got because they're part of the system, as if some Marxist academic approach forgives the fact that society had pretty much just collapsed in the middle of a metropolitan US city over something that happened in Los Angeles.

So, academically, I understand how all of this happens and is justified in all avenues, but at the same time I don't think anyone really wants to have any of these moments happen. I hate racism more than you can possibly imagine, but I can't do anything about it either. Sure, I can school people around me when I see the behavior, but I don't live in communities where that sort of behavior is prevalent, which means when these sorts of things erupt, they usually happen and flow right  over all sorts of communities that are equally supportive but powerless to make a difference. It's like saying that I'm responsible for all of the stupid shit that Trump does because I live in a country that somehow managed to put him into the presidency, even though I never would have and never will vote for someone that moronic. It's that same wort of academic response to "you're part of your institution" and thus, responsible for the ramifications of your system that drive me nuts.

I've been writing about racism for years in so many different mediums. I've taught about it and how to counter it in numerous college institutions, but when it comes down to it, this sort of shit just keeps happening in this country because statistically, we suck horribly and no, we're not getting any better. Some of us are, but the numbers that make the difference (and keep in mind, it only takes one or two to really spoil the whole apple cart) continue to be the shitheads that they've always been. And we reward them because we're so good at overlooking their problems until those problems emerge at a level that causes some cop to choke a man to death, or some arbitrary citizen to murder another person on the streets because "I was defending myself" from imagined threats.

Anyway, as you can guess, this has been kind of bothering me a bit, and I'll go back to my cave now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1