The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

• Jason changed the title to The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/federal-government-denies-disaster-aid-for-minneapolis-riots-11594513653

The federal government has denied a request from Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz for federal funds to rebuild and repair fire damage from the unrest that followed George Floyd’s death.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported that Mr. Walz’s spokesman Teddy Tschann confirmed that the request for federal aid was denied, saying the governor is “disappointed.”

36 minutes ago, CayceG said:

On "Big Government" and why it's actually just an excuse to uphold racism.

Read this entire thread. 

The anti "Big Government" argument was always a euphemism for the the South being defeated in the Civil War and then being compelled to integrate Schools in the sixties. It was just a way to market systemic racism to folks who don't see themselves as racist by saying that "Big Government" steps on THEIR freedoms as well meanwhile The South can continue their racist programs, policies and practices with little to no opposition. Naive libertarians and even some liberals fell for it and here we are... with a weak federal government in a "first world" country that can't manage a pandemic and has resorted to "just live with it." The result? A lot of people are going to die unnecessarily before this is over.

EDIT: Great thread btw. Michael Harriot writes for The Root.

EDIT 2: Fareed Zakaria is on TV right now making the case for how damaging the argument against "Big Government" has been to our ability to actually govern and why our response to Covid has been so bad.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

On "Big Government" and why it's actually just an excuse to uphold racism.

Read this entire thread. 

Man learning that the first suit was about a black community just wanted a bus got grouped into Brown vs Board blew my mind.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The anti "Big Government" argument was always a euphemism for the the South being defeated in the Civil War and then being compelled to integrate Schools in the sixties. It was just a way to market systemic racism to folks who don't see themselves as racist by saying that "Big Government" steps on THEIR freedoms as well meanwhile The South can continue their racist programs, policies and practices with little to no opposition. Naive libertarians and even some liberals fell for it and here we are... with a weak federal government in a "first world" country that can't manage a pandemic and has resorted to "just live with it." The result? A lot of people are going to die unnecessarily before this is over.

EDIT: Great thread btw. Michael Harriot writes for The Root.

EDIT 2: Fareed Zakaria is on TV right now making the case for how damaging the argument against "Big Government" has been to our ability to actually govern and why our response to Covid has been so bad.

Michael Harriot is without a doubt one of my favorite political/historical/cultural writers. he has just an absolutely incredible way with words and I always look forward to learning something new every time he tweets or has an article up on The Root. 

1 hour ago, Chadatog said:

Man learning that the first suit was about a black community just wanted a bus got grouped into Brown vs Board blew my mind.

Yep! It's always fun/horrible to learn these little tidbits. 

Also, seeing the vote breakdowns in congress was a stark example of racism. 

3 hours ago, CayceG said:

Michael Harriot is without a doubt one of my favorite political/historical/cultural writers. he has just an absolutely incredible way with words and I always look forward to learning something new every time he tweets or has an article up on The Root. 

I find his writing style mostly grating. Works best in a quick hit tweet instead of long form for me. 

Sitting in the grass while black

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/07/all-lives-matter-church-hangs-no-trespassing-sign-above-black-woman-for-sitting-in-the-grass/?fbclid=IwAR39z-G8uduca7jNF12L3NSjX_fey6uXnfiS0oIX_nh0SG6tyZEfhXjvOsY#.XwZDPNEnroA.facebook

I KNOW the woman this happened to. We used to work together and she's a friend. I just saw it because a bunch of mutual friends were sharing the story.

• Shocked 2

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/07/all-lives-matter-church-hangs-no-trespassing-sign-above-black-woman-for-sitting-in-the-grass/?fbclid=IwAR39z-G8uduca7jNF12L3NSjX_fey6uXnfiS0oIX_nh0SG6tyZEfhXjvOsY#.XwZDPNEnroA.facebook

I KNOW the woman this happened to. We used to work together and she's a friend. I just saw it because a bunch of mutual friends were sharing the story.

Fozzie Bear Reaction GIF

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I saw this story when it popped up. It's a crazy small world. Sitting in the grass with a laptop on your lap must be terrifying.

from that article

“How am I threatening your life?” the woman sitting in the grass asks.

“Because you’re arguing with us,” the white woman insists.

I mean, GTFO of here with that shit. Fucking racist snow flakes. Arguing = Threatening? We need to bring back exiling people. They need to go. 

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

But why was she on probation and other racist takes?

Reading the article it seems “Assault” for biting her mom’s fingers when her mom took her phone away, and “larceny” for stealing another student’s cell phone, because her mom had taken her’s. 

it reads like her and her mom have some serious issues. 

The protest march ended at the home of Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron, who requested the demonstrators be removed from his property.

Lamont Washington, a spokesperson for the Louisville Metro Police Department, told Aulbach the participants were given an opportunity to leave the area before officers started making arrests.

Washington added the protestors were arrested "due to their refusal to leave the property and their attempts to influence the decision of the attorney general with their actions."