The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

In other news, "Stand Your Ground Strikes Again (Back?)

William Marcus Wilson, a 21-year-old black man from Sharpsburg, Georgia, has been charged with felony murder and aggravated assault in the shooting death of Haley Hutcheson, a white teen from Bellville. He was arrested after fatally shooting at a “truckload of belligerent racists” who were attempting to steer him off the road. Wilson’s attorneys say he should be held to the same legal standing as white defendants who utilize the state’s controversial Stand Your Ground laws, his defense attorneys stated, according to NewsOne.

Bystanders Thwart an attempted lynching?!

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/506073-indiana-police-investigate-allegation-attempted-lynching-video

Police in Indiana are reportedly investigating an incident, partially captured on video, in which a crowd of white people allegedly threatened to lynch a Black man over the weekend.

A lengthy Facebook post on Sunday from Vauhxx Rush Booker, who said he was "almost the victim of an attempted lynching," included videos with one showing several white men holding Booker on the ground against a tree while telling the person filming the incident to leave. One white man can be heard using a racial slurs, directed at Booker and another person who is off-camera.

According to Booker's Facebook posts, in moments that were not caught on video, at least one person began yelling "get a noose" and "other choice slurs." The incident ended when white onlookers refused to leave and began filming the scene, causing the group to release Booker, wrote on Facebook.

• Guillotine 1

18 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Serious question:  Is the term "Latinx" used within Spanish speaking countries very much?  For a language that relies heavily gendered nouns, it seems weird - but I'm not a Spanish speaker or have much of a connection to those cultures. 

No it's an American thing. 

18 hours ago, johnny said:

Isn’t latinx also supposed to be more inclusive for those who do not identify as male or female? Or maybe I just added that myself. 

Spanish uses masculine and feminine, the default for groups of ppl is masculine so American Latinos (see what I did there) find that sexist and think Latinx should be used to not imply a sex, therefore being a feminist term. Since then LGBT inclusivity advocates have latched onto it. 

"Latinx" is definitely a touch too far if you ask me. Our language doesn't do that. Either get comfortable with using a (one or the other i don't care) gender form as the default or do the hard work of not flattening the "Latin-American" experience like we do with black Americans. 

14 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

"Latinx" is definitely a touch too far if you ask me. Our language doesn't do that. Either get comfortable with using a (one or the other i don't care) gender form as the default or do the hard work of not flattening the "Latin-American" experience like we do with black Americans. 

The Spanish/Latinx community is absurdly patriarchal and misogynistic, which is what leads to the kind of silly but understandable Latinx term. 

4 minutes ago, Jose said:

The Spanish/Latinx community is absurdly patriarchal and misogynistic, which is what leads to the kind of silly but understandable Latinx term. 

This is where I stand. It's what I grew up in. The culture is just wildly misogynist and that's with me growing up in the States where all of that is tempered a bit. Like I said previously, there's no reason to be less inclusive, especially when the company I keep knows what Latinx means. Like, I wouldn't use the term around my grandmother because it would take hours to explain it to her and she could totally be feeding me in that timespan.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jose said:

I'm aware but this isn't gonna be what changes things. Insisting on taking the smaller slice of pizza and doing the dishes helps a lot more. If it weren't linguistically awkward the story might be different. 

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I hadn't seen anyone part this, so...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsandler/2020/07/08/country-group-lady-a-files-trademark-lawsuit-against-blues-singer-who-goes-by-same-name/amp/

The band Lady A originally intended to work out a solution with White that would allow both to perform under the name Lady A—but in a statement, the band says they “reluctantly” decided to sue after White asked for $10 million and negotiations broke down, according to Billboard.

According to the lawsuit, though the band has held the trademark for “Lady A” since 2011, though White had been performing under the moniker for years before then.

The band is not asking for monetary damages and does not want White to stop performing as Lady A, but is instead asking for the court to rule that its use of Lady A is lawful and doesn’t infringe on White’s “alleged trademark rights.”  

“When we learned that Ms. White had also been performing under the name Lady A, we had heartfelt discussions with her about how we can all come together and make something special and beautiful out of this moment. We never even entertained the idea that she shouldn’t also be able to use the name Lady A, and never will—today’s action doesn’t change that,” the band said in a statement.

On 7/6/2020 at 2:27 PM, Ghost_MH said:

Who are people supposed to march against? Who are they supposed to demand change from? Gang violence has been on the decline for years, but until we get drug laws, poverty, and over-policing of minority neighborhoods under control there's not a lot that can be demanded from the less reputable members of society.

Look, I Iunderstand full well the changes that need to be made to reduce gang and other forms of inner city violence. I'm an inner-city born and raised minority. My first encounter with gang violence was a buddy of mine being stabbed on the playground when we were in sixth grade. The most severe was another buddy of mine getting killed in a drive-by outside a pizza place because he was dating the wrong girl. Hell, the triple decker apartment I lived in while I was in middle school was a literal crackhouse one floor down.

The police deserve the protests they're getting here. Everybody you and I know puts more and more of our tax dollars into funding their military LARPing adventures while taking money away from the very social services and education we need to improve things in the impoverished neighborhoods like the one I grew up in.

My current city only spends like 8% of their annual budget on police and fire while dropping some 50% on education. It's one of the reasons I moved here. My home town has started to do much better when they did the same. Now they're spending some 8% on police and fire and a whole crazy 70% on education. Also, shocker. Crime has gone down and we don't have a police killing people problem. Those are the kinds of demands people need to make for their towns and cities and the same ones police departments across the nation are trying to avoid.

March against those causing destruction in your neighborhood. Change the education narrative in the neighborhood. Change the appearance of the neighborhood. All solutions start at home; those solutions don't require outside help, black USA history has shown that. 

Stop waiting on people, who have little interest in your neighborhood, other then how they can use you (white people have been fighting each other over black people since the inception of the country, and still are today), to come and save you. 

I live in a neighborhood much like yours, but guess what, while the money helps, it only helps because the mentality is different. Heck, significantly less money is spent per student here than neighboring Cleveland, yes, I know the factors of why; but its beyond silly to think throwing money at the issues will solve the problem. 

Goes with what I was talking about calling people out in the community and how it can help. 

Three days ago, the wife and I were driving to her parents house in another city. Taking the city streets, we pass through one of the worse part of the Cleveland (55th and Kinsman). There were kids on the side of the road selling bottles of water. While stopped at the light they came up to the car for a sell.

I told them "I'm not interested, but I liked their hustle. However, I don't like that you are leaving trash all over the place."

One kid interjected "its not all theirs."

I replied, "I know, but you are running a business in the middle of it. But here is what I'll do. I'll be back through this area later, if its cleaned up, I'll give you all $20 a piece; and if you aren't here, I'll be back the next day."

"Cool" they said.

Came back through later, it was cleaned up, but they were gone. So I came back the next day (I'm sure their lives are full of broken promises, so it was extremely important to get back), the ground was a bit junky, but better then the last time, and they had a trash bag with them. I pulled up, gave them their money. Told them there was more if they want, I just want them to make the best of where they live, provided some contact information.

Got an email from one of them this morning. We'll see where this goes. I'm up to paying a them (seems to be a crew of five, 9 - 14) $50 a piece to clean up some areas. Trying to change how they think, the rhythm with which they move, what actions are endorphin generators, nurture their positive hustle. 

27 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

March against those causing destruction in your neighborhood. Change the education narrative in the neighborhood. Change the appearance of the neighborhood. All solutions start at home; those solutions don't require outside help, black USA history has shown that. 

Stop waiting on people, who have little interest in your neighborhood, other then how they can use you (white people have been fighting each other over black people since the inception of the country, and still are today), to come and save you. 

I live in a neighborhood much like yours, but guess what, while the money helps, it only helps because the mentality is different. Heck, significantly less money is spent per student here than neighboring Cleveland, yes, I know the factors of why; but its beyond silly to think throwing money at the issues will solve the problem. 

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but that only gets you so far. When kids live in run down apartments and go to run down schools with underpaid teachers that can't afford to care with parents that might actually care but are working multiple jobs and are rarely home, it becomes a systemic issue that needs to be resolved by the only people with the power to change the rules. The other stuff just goes by the wayside when folks don't feel society has abandoned them and the state is out to kill them. All the while pasty politicians and pundits are telling the rest of the nation that they suffer only because they don't care enough not to, that their plight is not real, and that systemic racism is a myth.

Seattle city council, in a veto-proof majority, intends to cut police budget in half.

A veto-proof majority of Seattle’s city council has backing a blueprint from activists at Decriminalize Seattle to cut the city’s $400 million police budget by 50 percent, and redirect much of that funding into community-led public safety initiatives and affordable housing. The Seattle Times reports that seven of nine city councilors have come out in support of the cuts; six are required to overcome opposition from Seattle’s mayor, who is urging caution.

Let's hope they follow through.