Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update: Update 2.1 "Overview" trailer and patch notes

legend

I dunno, I haven't had issues finding big changes. I think the bounced colored lighting is actually one of the most noticeable changes. When you're out in the world in daytime some of this stuff can be hard to notice, but then you hit areas that have a completely new mood and feel (that I think is vastly superior):

PS6RCrX.jpg

Y4CqBEs.jpg

2 hours ago, stepee said:

69.08 quality

83.61 balanced

100.23 performance

116fps (capped by vsync) ultra performance 

Edit: I’ll probably actually play on performance after watching them all!

Just re-ran everything on mine:

Quality - 66.01

Balanced - 78.19

Performance - 95.68

Ultra Performance - 130.88 (it looked like ass - there was an NPC with a pinstriped shirt and the DLSS AI had no idea what to do with the pinstripes until the NPC was closer to the camera: the lines were going all over the place on the shirt)

I definitely probably shouldn't upgrade my CPU until the next gen :p 

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Just re-ran everything on mine:

Quality - 66.01

Balanced - 78.19

Performance - 95.68

Ultra Performance - 130.88 (it looked like ass - there was an NPC with a pinstriped shirt and the DLSS AI had no idea what to do with the pinstripes until the NPC was closer to the camera: the lines were going all over the place on the shirt)

I definitely probably shouldn't upgrade my CPU until the next gen :p 

Well, as long as everyone learns from this and optimizes the cpu in the same way :P

It’s super impressive performance here honestly. Try dlss ultra performance with frame gen off and see how high your cpu goes I bet you still end up gpu capped.

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well, as long as everyone learns from this and optimizes the cpu in the same way :P

It’s super impressive performance here honestly. Try dlss ultra performance with frame gen off and see how high your cpu goes I bet you still end up gpu capped.

Once RTX I/O finally starts getting used, I’m going to downgrade to an Intel Core2Duo

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I dunno, I haven't had issues finding big changes. I think the bounced colored lighting is actually one of the most noticeable changes. When you're out in the world in daytime some of this stuff can be hard to notice, but then you hit areas that have a completely new mood and feel (that I think is vastly superior):

PS6RCrX.jpg

Y4CqBEs.jpg

Also in the daytime if anyone is having issues finding huge differences they can look at any npc

Man I can’t wait until the expansion hits so I can dive fully into this again. I just spent hours doing nothing but looking at stuff. What’s crazy is when you switch back and forth to see how much better it looks that’s over psycho rt which was already better looking than almost every other game.

• Hugs 1

4 hours ago, stepee said:

Man I can’t wait until the expansion hits so I can dive fully into this again. I just spent hours doing nothing but looking at stuff. What’s crazy is when you switch back and forth to see how much better it looks that’s over psycho rt which was already better looking than almost every other game.

Give me Idris or give me death! :sun:

• Hugs 1

I hate clickbait so much but YouTube loves recommending it to me. I haven’t watched any of the videos in question but suddenly there’s so many with ridiculous thumbnails and titles like “NVIDIA LIED ABOUT PATH TRACING IN CYBERPUNK!” in the thumbnail with a derpy angry face and the title/description is “CP2077 Path Tracing works on non-4000 series GPUs!”… jfc, when TF did nVidia say otherwise? 

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I hate clickbait so much but YouTube loves recommending it to me. I haven’t watched any of the videos in question but suddenly there’s so many with ridiculous thumbnails and titles like “NVIDIA LIED ABOUT PATH TRACING IN CYBERPUNK!” in the thumbnail with a derpy angry face and the title/description is “CP2077 Path Tracing works on non-4000 series GPUs!”… jfc, when TF did nVidia say otherwise? 

Can’t stand that shit at all, it’s such a huge turn off. It blows my mind that the reason people do that is because it drives engagement, it’s like kryptonite for me clicking on a video.

There are already mods that let us tweak the Path Tracing settings to get better performance, basically a providing an in-between the RT Psycho and PT game settings.

8059-1681326459-1453809236.png
WWW.NEXUSMODS.COM

Grab some almost free fpsTM!

Thumbnail is an exaggeration, expect more like a 25% uplift on Nvidia GPUs. Perhaps it has a bigger impact on AMD.  There are also other PT mods for those curious.

Finally got home and ran the benchmark on my rig.

3440x1440, maxxed out with path tracing, DLSS 3 with Quality settings.

72fps.

Side note -- when I turn on HDR in the menu, all the blacks get washed out (which reddit posts from over a year ago tell me is a bug).  Anyone running this on Oled that has done an A/B to see if using a mod to lower the minimum black levels to 0, and turning on HDR is better than AutoHDR?

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077 - Information Thread, update: "Phantom Liberty" Official Trailer (26 September 2023 release)

From a Reddit post:

TL;DR: This is not a DLC. This is Cyberpunk 2.0.

• virtually every system of the main game has been changed and/or updated
  • police system is completely reworked with multiple tiers of NCPD/mercs chasing you down in vehicles according to your wanted level, apparently on level 5 maxtac will chase you down and it will be some sort of bossfight against them (source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riK1i8lQwRM&t=511s)
  • perks and skills have been completely overhauled, no longer simple passive stat boosts, much more active abilities like different melee finishers, a dash, or the ability to deflect bullets with melee weapons
  • an entirely new 6th skill tree that uses a different type of skill points (relic points) that will be used to add new abilities to your cyberware
  • the difficulty curve is reworked/rebalanced
  • the loot tiers are reworked
  • archetypes of enemies have been redone for more variety in combat encounters
  • installing cyberware now has an effect on your body and you cant install too much or else you will go cyberpsycho (no idea what that looks like in game)
  • installing cyberware now has a first person cutscene added to it, just like in the prologue at Vik's clinic
  • you can now "attune" cyberware to one of your attributes, making it more efficient if you have invested in that attribute; example here optical camo is attuned to the "cool" attribute: https://i.imgur.com/1UI9SEX.png
  • armor is no longer tied to clothing, it instead tied to your cybernetics
  • vehicle combat is added to the game, you can even use your katana on your bike
  • vehicles are no longer bought from fixers, but bought through a website set up by mama welles
  • some vehicles have guns installed on them (machine guns, rocket launchers)
  • new type of infinitely replayable/repeatable missions are being added where you need to steal certain vehicles marked on your map
  • new activity introduced "airdrops", loot caches that drop randomly on the map that you can fight over and retrieve for yourself
  • tons of new random events/activities are added to make the world feel more alive, like car chases and gang fights

f24c1522915da82df33f33d6fbf00ad7.jpg
    KOTAKU.COM

Maybe there is no saving Cyberpunk 2077, but CD Projekt Red seems keen to try

After spending an hour in Cyberpunk 2077’s one and only expansion Phantom Liberty, it feels like the spy thriller side story is the actualization of a narrative everyone has been touting in the years since the game’s disastrous launch. Many, including Kotaku’s own Luke Plunkett, have argued that no amount of technical changes and patches can salvage a game that was, at its core, a fairly unremarkable RPG adorned in neon lighting and dreams of being something bigger than it had the stomach to swing for. For a long time, I agreed and felt the only way to make a good capital C Cyberpunk game would be to make a new one. Now that I’ve had the chance to experience some of the changes CD Projekt Red has implemented alongside its spy thriller story starring Idris Elba (Luther, Sonic the Hedgehog 2), it feels like parts of Phantom Liberty aren’t just expanding upon Cyberpunk 2077, they’re gutting it and creating something new in the empty space.

Idris Elba and the spy thriller plot might be the headliner for Phantom Liberty, but as a person who’s put hundreds of hours into the original game, that’s not what sticks out to me most. CD Projekt Red has completely overhauled growth progression in a way that feels in-line with what the game always promised. If there was an alternate version of Cyberpunk 2077 where you can actually craft playstyles that don’t inevitably end with a shootout, this is it. The expansion brings new character builds and revamps old ones, and is geared toward build-defining abilities and augmentations, rather than the base game’s tedious numbers-go-up grind of incremental but meaningless stat boosts.

CP77_Phantom_Liberty_KV_16x9_RGB_4K_01_E
    WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

CD Projekt Red explains how Phantom Liberty is rebuilding perks, skill trees, vehicle combat, AI…

Cyberpunk 2077’s major expansion, Phantom Liberty, is set to add a meaty chunk of story with a spy thriller featuring Idris Elba, but its Summer Game Fest trailer omitted the most significant discovery of our behind-closed-doors demo: it also totally overhauls the original game’s systems – and even base game owners will receive the updates.

Set for release in September, Phantom Liberty adds a new district of Night City called Dog Town. It takes place during the main story of the original game and players can access it via any of their existing save games. However, with such a substantial number of overhauls to the core systems, many may be tempted to give 2077 another playthrough from the start.

According to creative director Pawel Sasko, virtually no system of the original game has been left untouched. The designer told VGC that, before he departs for a new adventure in the USA establishing the team who will one day create a sequel, he’s determined to leave the original game – famously criticised at launch – in the best shape he can.

cybperunk-2077-motorcycle-mech.jpg?resiz
    WWW.DIGITALTRENDS.COM

After swearing off Cyberpunk 2077 when it launched, a strong Phantom Liberty demo has me ready for a return to Night City.

With its upcoming expansion, Phantom Liberty, CD Projekt Red has a second chance to pull me back in. With a much more stable base game, I’ve been hopeful that the developer could deliver a story that’s a little easier to grasp onto this time. And based on an hour-long hands-on I had with the game around Summer Game Fest, it certainly seems like I’ll get what I want.

Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty builds on everything I found promising about the base game, but seems to do away with a lot of its pain points. It all makes for what’s shaping up to be a sleeker expansion with narrative heft that’s not as bogged down with dense technobabble. Instead, it’s a good old-fashioned spy thriller that presents tough questions about when to trust authority.

Cyberpunk2077_Phantom_Liberty_Hell_Or_Hi
    WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

We got hands-on with a demo of Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty and found it's shaping up not only as a worthy DLC, but a worthy update to the base game, too.

I've spent around an hour with Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty, the one and only expansion for Cyberpunk 2077 starring your boy Idris Elba. Yes, I saw him in the game, and yes, he fits in great. But what really struck me about the new DLC was how it had morphed the overall combat into a chunkier, more flavoursome affair. Whereas before your guns had about as much impact as the buzz of your phone in silent mode, they now feel like they've got some real weight behind each trigger pull. The new area of Dogtown is pretty sweet, too.

Not long ago I watched Netflix film The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker (which was actually pretty sad by the time the credits rolled), where Kai, the hitchhiker who wields the hatchet, says he's come straight from "Dogtown" to a bemused reporter. Dogtown is in fact where Phantom Liberty takes place as well (and judging by some of the locals there, Kai would probably fit right in). After being guided through some linear story stuff that culminated in a timeskip, I was able to explore a very small slice of its open world.

4151109-cyberpunk2077_phantom_liberty_do
    WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty is shaping up to be a robust expansion that aims to correct a lot of Cyberpunk 2077's missteps.

Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty feels more like a top-to-bottom overhaul of the original game than a standard expansion. Of course, it will feature a new story with new characters and a new area to explore, but what left me most excited is how this expansion could potentially shake up the original experience and address many issues players had at launch.

Before our hands-on demo, quest director Paweł Sasko and quest designer Despoina Anetaky told us that nearly every system had been changed, tweaked, or redone entirely.

Unlockable abilities in the skill tree feel more like perks rather than passive stat bonuses; the cybernetics are a lot more robust, offering more gameplay options; and the infamous police response system has been rebuilt from the ground up. This isn't the first time developer CD Projekt Red has done something like this--The Witcher 3's final expansion brought with it a number of changes to the UI and combat--but Phantom Liberty is attempting to comprehensively rewrite Cyberpunk's DNA.

Phantom Liberty isn't just a glorified update, though. It brings with it a story that leans heavily into the spy thriller genre and new characters including the gruff sleeper cell agent Solomon Reed (portrayed by the illustrious Idris Elba) and a new lawless district of Night City called Dogtown. The setup seems fairly simple: A mysterious character who goes by Songbird promises V that she can remove the deadly biochip from their head, if she can save and protect the president of the New United States after her aircraft crashes in Dogtown.

2A3RJ8LQx5qb36UKk7e3KN-1200-80.jpg
    WWW.WINDOWSCENTRAL.COM

I went hands-on with Phantom Liberty, Cyberpunk 2077's upcoming expansion. This is a literal game changer.

While I loved Cyberpunk 2077's story delivery, its world, and Netrunner gameplay, subsequent playthroughs have emphasized the game's shortcomings. I always felt like the Netrunner playstyle was more fleshed out than some of the game's other combat styles, with melee play feeling a tad archaic, and gunplay struggling to differentiate itself in some ways. Itemization has been improved already since the base game, now that CD Projekt RED has implemented a transmog system similar to other loot-based games that offers deeper visual customization. However, Phantom Liberty takes things several steps forward, adding a variety of new combat abilities atop other revamped systems. 

The first thing I did after sitting down was fire up the menus, and lo and behold, Phantom Liberty completely revamps the game's skill trees. I always felt like the skill trees were underbaked, and a little "dull" with nodes offering boring +2% incremental upgrades that were just completely unnoticeable. A lot of these nodes have been either removed or consolidated, and now extend out of a gameplay-altering central node that feels far more compelling to unlock and hunt down. 

In addition to these far superior skill trees, combat itself has undergone something of a revamp. Crouch is now on a stick click by default, putting quick dodge moves onto the B button instead on your controller. This alone feels far more intuitive, although you will be able to swap it back if you prefer. Beyond this, many of the game's existing weapons have gotten new moves. With melee weapons, you can now sprint while blocking to unleash a ramming attack, which also reduces incoming damage while moving. This is great as a melee character, as it helps you get around the battlefield more quickly without getting mowed down in a hail of bullets for dropping cover. 

d6570d4576e0601ddc88a6200e590fb2.jpg
    KOTAKU.COM

CD Projekt Red explained how its team created Johnny Silverhand and Solomon Reed rather differently

“When we were designing a story for and then decided to cast Keanu Reeves, it was slightly different than with Idris Elba,” Sasko said. “With Keanu Reeves, we already had a story that we knew we wanted to tell, and we were on the level of scenarios when we casted an actor. Then this is where Keanu Reeves came in. With Idris Elba, it was slightly different because we were on the level of story outlines. So, even before you go into screenplays and scenarios, so just very general. Then we started thinking about an actor that could actually fill that role.”

The team then reached out to Elba, who was interested in joining the project, and according to Sasko, having him signed on to portray Solomon early on informed the entire conception process for the character, his story, and how the player would interact with him in Phantom Liberty.

Cyberpunk2077_Phantom_Liberty_PS5_Are_Yo
    WWW.VG247.COM

CD Projekt Red has been hard at work on making Cyberpunk 2077 a prettier, better, and smarter game – and it really shows.

In terms of gameplay, the two most meaningful updates I picked up on were the alterations to armour/clothing, and the new Relic skill tree. Combined, these new elements expand the depth of the RPG systems in the game. On their own, they add more granularity to how you develop and perfect your build.

Relic, as a skill tree, adds things like Vulnerability Analytics (see enemy weaknesses in the HUD), Emergency Cloaking (activate camo during combat), Spatial

Mapping (increase liklihood of critical hits and dismemberments with Mantis Blades), and Sensory Protocol (activate slo mo when detected whilst crouching). It’s all about combat utility, and interacting with whatever build you’re running, and giving you more non-combat options if you do get drawn into a gunfight. I only had chance to play ‘Fast Solo’ – think MGS’ Raiden and you’ve got an idea of the build.

I say, without a shadow of a doubt, that combat Phantom Liberty feels even better than the main game; parrying bullets into hired goons moving in to provide support as you slice and dice the doomed meatbags closer to you? Airdashing into a vanguard unit and slicing their throats open as they reel in shock? Popping your camo when you get overwhelmed, flanking the bastards and coming in with one of their own pilfered shotguns? It feels more like Bulletstorm, or Shadow Warrior, or something – Cyberpunk wasn’t designed to be a game like those, yet with the right build, it feels right at home in the genre.

Sez6jM3Q5FBMPZHdZcgBn7-1200-80.jpg
    WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Hands-on | There’s more than meets the eye to all the changes in Phantom Liberty

The truly fascinating bit of Phantom Liberty is what’s happening beneath the hood, so to speak. The inventory and skills have seen a major redesign, though it was difficult to tell what exactly all of them did given my brief hands-on time. Perks are now designed in such a way as to make it feel impactful with every choice that you make. Previously, they could feel extremely incremental, adding 5% to this or 2% to that, but now every upgrade seemingly adds some new direct skill or ability, passive or otherwise. For example, one ability might allow you to reload while sliding while another might allow you to fight better in vehicles.

Because that’s a thing you can do now: vehicular warfare. Certain cars are straight-up armed in Phantom Liberty. One vehicle in my demo had two machine guns affixed to the front of it, with laser dots showing where I was firing. Aiming was a fairly intuitive endeavor on the PS5, and shooting the guns on the car felt quite satisfying if I am being honest, though it’s hard to gauge what the greater impact of this might be.

cyberpunk2077_phantom_liberty_uninvited_
    WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

We played the upcoming Phantom Liberty expansion for Cyberpunk 2077 for an hour and came away ready for more.

I left Phantom Liberty excited to play more. It feels like a return to the seedy home of Night City I enjoyed in 2077, and it promises to bring a new type of story to this world. With just an hour of hands-on time, I can’t say Phantom Liberty feels or looks all that different. But I’m not sure it’s meant to. It’s an additive story to an existing campaign that takes place long before that campaign comes to a close. However, CDPR says Phantom Liberty does add flavor to the story of 2077, going so far as adding a new ending to it, too. 

But it’s a standalone expansion in its own right, too. CDPR says you can play the campaign and when you reach Phantom Liberty content, you’ll receive a text that indicates you can begin the expansion storyline. Or, you can start a new game and “fast forward” right to the expansion if you’d like. And those who beat 2077 can also jump back into that save and play through this new story. 

It’ll be the latter option for me when Phantom Liberty is released on September 26, and this small taste was just enough to remind me that I enjoy playing around in Night City. Right now, it feels like more 2077 – which is great – but it’s the narrative of this expansion that I expect will set it apart from the base game. What I played set up that narrative nicely, but I honestly have no idea where it could go. I’m excited to find out.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty (26 September 2023) - Information Thread, update: multiple hands-on preview articles posted, "Official Trailer Developer Breakdown" video