Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update: Update 2.1 "Overview" trailer and patch notes

legend

Absolutely stunning. I haven't been this impressed with a jump in graphics since Cyberpunk. Which is a weird thing to say!

Now I really have to think about whether I want to get a 4090 or wait for the next generation like had been my previous plan.

• Shocked 1
  • Hugs 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077 (Early Access) - Information Thread, update: RT Overdrive Technology Preview (Digital Foundry)

verticalimage1675968921790-2951976.png?w
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Update: We've just added to our Cyberpunk 2077 RT Overdrive video coverage with a new Night City tour captured entirely…

We've opted not to use frame generation here, mainly because it requires v-sync to be disabled, which would add some ugly tearing to the captures. V-sync can be forced at the control panel level, but the RT Overdrive upgrade really doesn't like it. Thankfully, for much of the game - especially the exteriors - the RTX 4090 has enough brute force grunt to sustain 60 frames per second.

We'll be adding further reporting based on in-depth testing of the new upgrade, along with a range of graphics card benchmarks, but what I can share now is that while the game obviously runs best on RTX 40-series cards, 30-series GPUs can still produce a decent experience. For example, the RTX 3080 10GB can run it at between 40-60 frames per second at 1440p resolution using the DLSS balanced mode. More to come then, but in the meantime, we hope you enjoy the new video.

WT96UEiKfQp3FHCmznmtq5-1200-80.png
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

AMD and older Nvidia GPU owners are bang out of luck.

With DLSS including frame generation the RTX 4090 was shown returning over 100 fps. But frame generation is only available on the latest RTX 40-series family of GPUs. That may be why the release notes say the patch is currently only supported on RTX 40-series board and then just the RTX 3090 from the RTX 30-series.

For other GPUs with at least 8GB of VRAM that support ray tracing, there's an option to render, "path-traced screenshots in Photo Mode. This is possible because it means rendering just one frame, as opposed to rendering several frames every second (i.e. FPS), which would happen when playing the game."

32 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I don't know, I've read elsewhere that people with 3080s and 3070s are able to turn on path tracing, no problem.

Yeah that’s confusing didnt DF just say they could run it dlss balanced at 1440p on a 3080?

Also seeing conflicting reports on frame gen working correctly with vsync - maybe they put the wrong dlss version lol

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
WT96UEiKfQp3FHCmznmtq5-1200-80.png
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

AMD and older Nvidia GPU owners are bang out of luck.

I think the "only supported on" thing is confusion based on this: 

cp2077PT.jpg

It's mostly just a warning about performance.

Anyway, DLSS set to quality and frame gen on I avg 67fps in the benchmark, DLSS set to balance I get 78fps, I didn't bother dropping down to performance because a 78fps avg is fine for me when I finally play this.

44 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I think the "only supported on" thing is confusion based on this: 

cp2077PT.jpg

It's mostly just a warning about performance.

Anyway, DLSS set to quality and frame gen on I avg 67fps in the benchmark, DLSS set to balance I get 78fps, I didn't bother dropping down to performance because a 78fps avg is fine for me when I finally play this.

Is there really a problem with frame gen w vsync? Or is that just with vsync only and it is fine with gsync/vsync turned on in control panel?

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

Is there really a problem with frame gen w vsync? Or is that just with vsync only and it is fine with gsync/vsync turned on in control panel?

Vsync doesn't work in-game with frame gen on any title, you have to force it in nvidia control panel. That was done via a driver update and not a DLSS3 version. I'm not sure what people are talking about with it here.

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Update: We've just added to our Cyberpunk 2077 RT Overdrive video coverage with a new Night City tour captured entirely…

We've opted not to use frame generation here, mainly because it requires v-sync to be disabled, which would add some ugly tearing to the captures. V-sync can be forced at the control panel level, but the RT Overdrive upgrade really doesn't like it. Thankfully, for much of the game - especially the exteriors - the RTX 4090 has enough brute force grunt to sustain 60 frames per second.

It's also a problem with the RT Overdrive, not just with DLSS.

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

That’s what I’m asking, confirmation and clarification on that part as that is surprising and makes no sense to release it with that broken lol

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

They're wrong. I just forced vsync in the nvidia control panel and dropped my refresh rate down to 60hz and vsync is 100% working. 

@stepee

And even if it wasn't, if you're using a VRR display (dear god, why wouldn't you?) it should eliminate tearing without vsync unless your fps is exceeding your monitors refresh rate.

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

They're wrong. I just forced vsync in the nvidia control panel and dropped my refresh rate down to 60hz and vsync is 100% working. 

@stepee

And even if it wasn't, if you're using a VRR display (dear god, why wouldn't you?) it should eliminate tearing without vsync unless your fps is exceeding your monitors refresh rate.

yeah I would have just believed it if it was Alex reporting but since it wasn’t I was skeptical since how could they let that slip :P

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

yeah I would have just believed it if it was Alex reporting but since it wasn’t I was skeptical since how could they let that slip :P

Is it just Eurogamer stating this? I forced vsync in NCP, saw the menus were locked at 119fps instead of the 500fps without vsync and knew it was working, booted my save (from 2 years ago apparently :lol:) and everything was fine. Then, to make sure, since I was "only" getting 70-80fps with PT enabled, I exited, dropped my refresh rate down to 60hz, booted the game back up, loaded my save, and everything was stuck at 60fps. Didn't notice any artifacting or issues.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Is it just Eurogamer stating this? I forced vsync in NCP, saw the menus were locked at 119fps instead of the 500fps without vsync and knew it was working, booted my save (from 2 years ago apparently :lol:) and everything was fine. Then, to make sure, since I was "only" getting 70-80fps with PT enabled, I exited, dropped my refresh rate down to 60hz, booted the game back up, loaded my save, and everything was stuck at 60fps. Didn't notice any artifacting or issues.

I mean, what does “it doesn’t really like it” even mean? 

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'm pretty sure John did the montage video on Cyberpunk, so I would guess he was having troubles with capturing it at 60fps with V-sync on.

Locking to a lower fps with frame-gen enabled can increase input lag and increase the chance of irregular frames being rendered (this is something in all titles). If you have have your refresh rate set to 98hz+ then this isn't a problem. 

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, but... 720p :sick:

Ultra Performance is honestly the only one where I "notice" DLSS at 4k :p 

I've read/heard that at 8k it's great, though.

Oh yeah I’m not playing it that way :P I’ll probably use balanced also but just wanted to see how they optimized this on cpu end compared to W3 with RT (much better)

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

@stepeewhat do you get in the benchmark at Quality and Balanced? (all settings maxed, obviously :p )

69.08 quality

83.61 balanced

100.23 performance

116fps (capped by vsync) ultra performance 

Edit: I’ll probably actually play on performance after watching them all!

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 1

For another test on the cpu side I did frame gen off and dlss ultra perf and got 104.27fps - so you could have a cpu only half as powerful as mine and with frame gen still be all good. This actually lowers my worry about cpu with ray tracing with the optimization here on a path traced open world game.

• Halal 1

While I'm enjoying things like the insanely cool reflections (just standing on a car driving around the city looking at the reflections in the paint and knowing where I am, or seeing a guy standing by some coolers picking a drink and there's a reflection of him in every pane of glass) I still think this early ray tracing suffers from too much noise and latency, especially with shadows. And by latency I don't mean controls, I mean how you can see trails as the light bounces happen that just gives it a very noisy and unsynched look.

Like, overall I think it looks massively improved, but it also introduces these new issues that just kind of spoil the new image quality.

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

While I'm enjoying things like the insanely cool reflections (just standing on a car driving around the city looking at the reflections in the paint and knowing where I am, or seeing a guy standing by some coolers picking a drink and there's a reflection of him in every pane of glass) I still think this early ray tracing suffers from too much noise and latency, especially with shadows. And by latency I don't mean controls, I mean how you can see trails as the light bounces happen that just gives it a very noisy and unsynched look.

Like, overall I think it looks massively improved, but it also introduces these new issues that just kind of spoil the new image quality.

sorrrrrrryyyyyy that this is only like 5 years ahead on the tech curve instead of 10 :P

Just now, Xbob42 said:

:nottalking:Not good enough!

I do know what you mean though, but I think shadows do that worse in Witcher 3 than here. But yeah it’s cool when you play with say RT Mario 64 and can play with denoiser and see how clean this stuff will eventually look.

My 4080 does seem to get at least 60fps, but usually around 70 with DLSS performance mode on, as opposed to 100+ when I turn it off. At first I couldn't even launch the game, but then I remembered I had a couple mods installed. Once I took those out I got it going.

I will admit that it's often not as dramatic a difference as I thought it might be. I'm very thankful that you don't need to restart in order to turn it on and off, so I've been doing it quite a lot to see the changes. I actually think the improved shadows are one of the more directly noticeable things that I'm seeing with path tracing. Psycho RT already covered most of the more dramatic reflections and the first GI bounce.

I don't know if it's just that I'm paying more attention or if a higher % of my frames are being generated or what, but I'm noticing a lot more frame gen artifacts. It's not terrible, but it's definitely catching my eye from time to time.

Also, this would have been a great time to add a freaking flashlight to the game. Would have been a fun thing to show off. Is a personal light source really that demanding a thing?