Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update: Update 2.1 "Overview" trailer and patch notes

legend

I believe long story short it depends on how much the game engine was already trying to denoise itself or not. Since CP was, this now alienates some of that burden. However a lot of games don’t or don’t do much there, so there is no burden to relieve so you won’t necessarily notice as much of a performance uplift as here just by other companies going back and adding 3.5 or in the future. But the image quality, every game stands to gain.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Does releasing shit games that are fundamentally broken beneficial for them? They should be happy people still play this and have given them a pass. Most companies would have be ruined. 

There’s no good excuse for the state this game released in, especially on last gen hardware. 

But they have remedied it and then some it seems. 

• Halal 1

29 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I haven't seen any console comparisons on 2.0, for v1.6 the comparison I saw had the XSX version running at a slightly higher resolution -- but it was VERY close.

In the end, I think they are very comparable.

I believe he means if console 2.0 is a lot improved over 1.6. To that I only know that the gameplay and game itself, yes, should be massively improved just like it is on pc.

Tech wise, I haven’t heard beyond knowing if you never played 1.6, that version obviously massively improved it on current gen console.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I believe he means if console 2.0 is a lot improved over 1.6. To that I only know that the gameplay and game itself, yes, should be massively improved just like it is on pc.

Tech wise, I haven’t heard beyond knowing if you never played 1.6, that version obviously massively improved it on current gen console.

Oh.  I thought he was deciding on which version to play, as he just got the XSX.

6 hours ago, Brian said:

I played the intro on the XSX and decided I will wait until I get a decent laptop to play it on so I’m excited to finally play it. 
Happy Little Girl GIF by Demic

If you’re still planning on getting the same laptop here is what what looks like maxed out!

yYPnH2i.jpg

Not bad for a little 14” guy 

• Hype 2

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

Omg they changed it on gamepad so on the settings menu it’s no longer left or right to change the option, you instead hit RT/LT and it’s driving me up a fucking wall because I have too much muscle memory on this particular settings menu. 1/10 patch update 

I just assumed this was a KB/M game - you’re playing with a game pad?

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I just assumed this was a KB/M game - you’re playing with a game pad?

Yeah, but I play literally every game with gamepad, I don’t play with kb/m period. I had that fragenstein thing back in the old days when some games like Bioware stuff wouldn’t have gamepad.

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah, but I play literally every game with gamepad, I don’t play with kb/m period. I had that fragenstein thing back in the old days when some games like Bioware stuff wouldn’t have gamepad.

If you’re playing FPS’s with a game pad you’re a monster. Anything with a cursor too. You’re dead to me. 

• Haha 2
  • Halal 1

Finally cpu capped it at 768p dlss ultra performance which I think is like 160p??? That’s kind of crazy itself how legible it actually still is on a 65” screen.

292fps average for the 7800x3D then (I disable one of my ccd) I haven’t tested it it performs better as a 7950x3D but obviously there is no need to bother changing it from how I normally have it.

Out of curiosity I tried it without frame gen and got 143.26fps average and it never dipped below 120fps, so just fantastic results for the cpu optimization. Miles better than anything recently.

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

Having a real cop system is great. The ray reconstruction is beyond what I expected honestly, I didn’t expect it to be that pronounced, definitely gives it a bit more of a “CG movie” look. That combined with just how great dlss performance looks nowadays and the performance, and probably some other stuff they did, it’s really impressing me all over again.

Its insane how quickly we jumped from Portal path traced to fucking Cyberpunk path traced with better denoising lol

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Having a real cop system is great. The ray reconstruction is beyond what I expected honestly, I didn’t expect it to be that pronounced, definitely gives it a bit more of a “CG movie” look. That combined with just how great dlss performance looks nowadays and the performance, and probably some other stuff they did, it’s really impressing me all over again.

Its insane how quickly we jumped from Portal path traced to fucking Cyberpunk path traced with better denoising lol

Best visuals right now? Finally a game is working properly for you!

16 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Best visuals right now? Finally a game is working properly for you!

Oh yeah, I don’t even need to think about it. I’m not sure I can put anything else in its league right now until maybe when Alan Wake 2 comes out. Even just the performance they get out of the visuals is impressive. It’s an amazing tech showpiece of what computers can do today.

• Like 1
  • Hype 1

9 minutes ago, best3444 said:

So there is a difference between 77fps and 90? 

I'm sure Spork can speak for himself, but yes there is. Especially when you're using a mouse to control the game, it can be very noticeable. And beyond that, you don't want to tune by average frame rate really anyway. It's a useful statistic, but more important is that it doesn't dip to troublesome levels, so you usually want your average framerate higher to give a buffer.

• Halal 1

WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty gives us our first look at Nvidia's vision for the future of graphics

Whatever you want to think about real-time ray tracing effects in games, the fact is that the technology now exists. And ray tracing isn't some new concept; it's been used in the movie space for decades, because it's the best way we've found to do realistic graphics. There are around 100 games that I'm aware of that use DirectX Raytracing — or VulkanRT, though Quake II RTX and Wolfenstein: Youngblood are the only two VulkanRT games I'm aware of. Out of those hundred or so titles, I'd make the argument that ray tracing clearly looks better in 15–20 of the games.

That's not an awesome hit rate so far, but here's the thing: All it takes is one game that really makes good use of the technology and suddenly it becomes much more important. Games released with RT support over the past five years aren't really a predictor of what future games would do with the technology, any more than the first DirectX 11 games were a predictor of what current games can do, fourteen years later.

It's no surprise that Nvidia, the company that pioneered ray tracing in GPUs and has been doing it for five years, remains at the forefront of the RT hardware race. It continues to put more resources into improving ray tracing performance each generation as well, so the RT hardware in RTX 30-series was more capable than the RTX 20-series hardware, and RTX 40-series improves things yet again.

We started down this road five years ago with the first RTX 20-series GPUs. Now there's a pretty major gap between Nvidia and AMD GPUs when you enable ray tracing, and the more RT effects a game uses, the bigger the gap becomes. Games that only make limited use of RT for only shadows or only reflections may have AMD and Nvidia on relatively level ground, while games that use so-called path tracing (full ray tracing) like Cyberpunk 2077 in RT Overdrive mode can result in massive differences in performance — as shown here, AMD's currently fastest GPU, the RX 7900 XTX, can't even keep up with the three years old RTX 3080.

Now, with Ray Reconstruction, that performance gap is set to become a performance chasm, because not only does Nvidia deliver vastly superior RT performance, but it can also provide clearly superior image fidelity. And Intel's GPUs, which generally have proportionally better RT and AI capabilities than AMD's offerings (though not necessarily in Cyberpunk 2077 2.0), don't get a break either since they're also left out in the cold with the Ray Reconstruction have-nots.

It's a messy situation, and it's not likely to get any better in the near term. If there were some hypothetical universal solution that could provide upscaling, frame generation, ray reconstruction, and whatever Nvidia's engineers come up with next, things might be different. But it's increasingly looking like anyone purchasing a new graphics card will have Nvidia hardware with all the bells and whistles on one side, and everything else on the other. That's a potential massive blow to competition, and we don't like the long-term ramifications. Yes, Nvidia might make superior ray tracing hardware, but all we have to do is look at the generational price increases on the RTX 40-series to guess where that will lead us.

And yet, the graphics enthusiast in me still wants to see what other cool things might come in the future from Nvidia's research. In fact, I want more games to go all-in on ray tracing, like what Cyberpunk 2077's RT Overdrive mode does. It's possible, and it looks great, and at least some of us have the hardware to handle it. Because if we stick with the status quo, things will never change. I don't want to miss out on some awesome tech in the future in the name of supporting open standards. If I were buying my own graphics card, DLSS 3.5 is another major point in favor of Nvidia. It may lead down a path to more limited choices in the future, but who's to blame for this: Nvidia or AMD?

It's not a win for everyone, that's certain. What remains to be seen is when the truly killer ray tracing games will start to arrive, how quickly developers will begin leveraging Ray Reconstruction, whether AMD and Intel can offer a competing alternative, and when we'll pass the tipping point where RT performance can't be considered an optional extra. And while all that is going on, Nvidia will likely be researching even more AI-powered "neural rendering" techniques.

It's never good for the consumer when one company becomes so dominant in its advantage in technology.

Nvidia recognized where it wanted to go (in terms of the future of graphics years ago, and has been aggressively developing the hardware and software to get there.  IMHO, Cyberpunk is the first that REALLY pulls all of it together -- and their lead really becomes visible and indisputable.  Hopefully, AMD and Intel catch up soon -- so that prices on cards become better.