Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update: Update 2.1 "Overview" trailer and patch notes

legend

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The Bloody Baron quest is highly regarded as one of the best quests in gaming history. I dunno, sci-fi appeals to me more than medieval fantasy as well but Cyberpunk just felt like a good looking yet mediocre first person shooter. I plan on replaying it at some point, but It didn't grab me on my first playthrough. To be fair neither did The Witcher 2. That game really shined for me on the second playthrough when I really started understand the nuances of the gameplay. Pretty sure I bought the special edition Cyberpunk with season pass so maybe the DLC is included in that? I don't know. I'll play it eventually. Curious to see what it looks like with the next gen patch anyway.

FWIW, I found blade builds in Cyberpunk the most enjoyable combat wise. Really fun darting between enemies.

Also, never drive the cars. Drive the motorcycles. In first person. Without brakes.

• True 1

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The Bloody Baron quest is highly regarded as one of the best quests in gaming history.

I heard that quest is really good, I didn’t get that far in the game. A lot of the quests that I played were the usual go here and kill this monster type of quests, and I was expecting to be doing a little more interesting things based on the praise that the game received for both its main and side quests. But I admit that I didn’t play a whole lot before quitting, because the game wasn’t really pulling me in. However, I was liking it enough to want to play it again at some point.

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I dunno, sci-fi appeals to me more than medieval fantasy as well but Cyberpunk just felt like a good looking yet mediocre first person shooter. I plan on replaying it at some point, but It didn't grab me on my first playthrough.

You didn’t like it that much because you played as male V instead of as female V. :p I found the female voice actress more appealing than the male one myself, and I personally wouldn’t have enjoyed the game quite as much if I played as male V instead of as female V. But as you know I have a preference for playing as female characters in games, but there are games where I feel that a male character is more fitting for the role. However, this isn’t one of them because the dynamic between V and Johnny Silverhand seemed designed with V being female instead of male.

1 hour ago, legend said:

FWIW, I found blade builds in Cyberpunk the most enjoyable combat wise. Really fun darting between enemies.

Loved using a katana. Then I got a good monowire, which completely trivialized like 90% of encounters because it just took off heads immediately. 

3 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

You didn’t like it that much because you played as male V instead of as female V. :p I found the female voice actress more appealing than the male one myself, and I personally wouldn’t have enjoyed the game quite as much if I played as male V instead of as female V. But as you know I have a preference for playing as female characters in games, but there are games where I feel that a male character is more fitting for the role. However, this isn’t one of them because the dynamic between V and Johnny Silverhand seemed designed with V being female instead of male.

I didn't enjoy the game mostly from a gameplay perspective to be honest. The A.I. was just stupid and I didn't like the way COP would just appear out of thin air the minute you did something wrong. Graphically the game looked amazing but like I said, the gameplay left a lot to be desired. Once I got Johnny's gun, I pretty much stuck with that for the whole game. On my next playthrough I will probably do a blade build and see how that goes and my intention WAS to play as a female this go round. Again, I would have probably enjoyed this game more if it was third person. It feels like it SHOULD be... why give me a fully customizable character that I can never see??? That part made no sense to me. Also the bugs in this game were awful. The experience you are having with Saints Row is kinda what I experienced with Cyberpunk 2077. I had to restart several missions because the game fucked up. I had bosses that glitched and wouldn't fight back so I just killed them. All kinds of silly shit. Plus I thought the ending to the game was stupid. Like I said, I'm willing to give the game another shot... I hope my impressions of it change. This game was one of my biggest let downs as a gamer though.

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

I heard that quest is really good, I didn’t get that far in the game. A lot of the quests that I played were the usual go here and kill this monster type of quests, and I was expecting to be doing a little more interesting things based on the praise that the game received for both its main and side quests. But I admit that I didn’t play a whole lot before quitting, because the game wasn’t really pulling me in. However, I was liking it enough to want to play it again at some point.

To be more serious, no game is for everyone, of course, but I do recommend you try another play through getting at least as far as the The Bloody Baron quest. The game opens up a lot as does the the uniqueness of the different side quests. If you still don't like it after The Bloody Baron, then maybe it's safe to say it's not for you. Before that though and you really haven't experienced much that the game has to offer.

I find it difficult to articulate just how involved the game made me in its world and the characters. People often comment that Geralt is emotionless, but this so far from the truth. His character puts up that front when talking to randos, but it's made *very* clear it's not the case. It has some of the most emotionally charged events in any game for me. Things I can't describe without spoiling the story. On top of that, the game has one of the most satisfying endings I've played and it was such a breath of fresh air after being repeatedly disappointed in endings to games and shows I otherwise enjoyed a lot. Part of the reason the ending worked so well is it can also go horribly wrong. The game does a good job showing you throughout the game that your choices do have consequences on the narrative, and the final outcome is not as simple as choosing between A, B, and C, in the last hour of the game (*cough* Mass Effect *cough*). It's a culmination of many decisions throughout the game.

Finally, I'll add that the narrative weight largely works because this is a game. The narrative of some games is good because the narrative is good and the game is almost secondary. But that's not the case here. They do a great job making you feel the weight of all the trials you've been on. Part of that is again due to the seriousness with which they take decisions to something more complex than "be good or be evil" and part of it is through the rich world building and interesting quests you engage in along the way that evolve organically from what you're doing. That is, being an active participant makes everything carry more weight.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

To be more serious, no game is for everyone, of course, but I do recommend you try another play through getting at least as far as the The Bloody Baron quest. The game opens up a lot as does the the uniqueness of the different side quests. If you still don't like it after The Bloody Baron, then maybe it's safe to say it's not for you. Before that though and you really haven't experienced much that the game has to offer.

I find it difficult to articulate just how involved the game made me in its world and the characters. People often comment that Geralt is emotionless, but this so far from the truth. His character puts up that front when talking to randos, but it's made *very* clear it's not the case. It has some of the most emotionally charged events in any game for me. Things I can't describe without spoiling the story. On top of that, the game has one of the most satisfying endings I've played and it was such a breath of fresh air after being repeatedly disappointed in endings to games and shows I otherwise enjoyed a lot. Part of the reason the ending worked so well is it can also go horribly wrong. The game does a good job showing you throughout the game that your choices do have consequences on the narrative, and the final outcome is not as simple as choosing between A, B, and C, in the last hour of the game (*cough* Mass Effect *cough*). It's a culmination of many decisions throughout the game.

Finally, I'll add that the narrative weight largely works because this is a game. The narrative of some games is good because the narrative is good and the game is almost secondary. But that's not the case here. They do a great job making you feel the weight of all the trials you've been on. Part of that is again due to the seriousness with which they take decisions to something more complex than "be good or be evil" and part of it is through the rich world building and interesting quests you engage in along the way that evolve organically from what you're doing. That is, being an active participant makes everything carry more weight.

Thanks for this detailed explanation as to why you feel that I should give the game another chance, and why you yourself like it so much. Open world action RPGs are one of my favorite genres, and based on what you said here I think that I’ll like The Witcher III if I give it more time than I originally did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, legend said:

All of this is true plus I think people really missed the point with the combat. When this game came out, it was when Dark Souls was REALLY popular and people wanted to play the game like that by blocking, circle strafing and attacking. That's not how you play this game. You play it like a Witcher. By evading, parrying and attacking. Using sgins and potions and gadgets. And using Oils, really approaching encounters like a Witcher would. I remember saying at the time that the game is basically a Witcher simulator. @Phaseknox prefers to play as female characters so Geralt may not be appealing to you but I also know you like to get lost in worlds and Lore and The Witcher has some of the best world building and lore in gaming. Plus you can adjust the difficulty to your liking. I HIGHLY suggest you give this game another chance.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

@Phaseknox prefers to play as female characters so Geralt may not be appealing to you but I also know you like to get lost in worlds and Lore and The Witcher has some of the best world building and lore in gaming. Plus you can adjust the difficulty to your liking. I HIGHLY suggest you give this game another chance.

While I admit that I would prefer to play as a female protagonist since I like playing as female characters in games especially third person action adventure games and RPGs, Geralt is a fairly likable character so playing as him isn’t too unappealing to me especially since you can romance attractive women in the game. :] But I’ve heard that you play as Ciri in the game sometimes as well, how much of the game do you play as her?

After what you and @legend have said about the game, I realize that I didn’t give it enough of a chance when I originally played it. I really have no doubt now that I will enjoy it when I play it again, and experience more of what it has to offer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phaseknox said:

But I’ve heard that you play as Ciri in the game sometimes as well, how much of the game do you play as her?

I didn't know if you knew that or not so I didn't mention it. You play as her in chunks for a decent amount of time but the majority of the game is Geralt. Ciri's gameplay is pretty good though and you definitely leave her wanting a full game as her.

6 hours ago, stepee said:

What timing!

The-Witcher-3-geralt.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

Following a couple of delays, the game will arrive in the fourth quarter of the year…

I also call bullshit but I’ll take it if true!

If this is true then it's time for me to revisit all things Witcher. That means finishing season 2 of the show, replaying 2 and 3 (again) and FINALLY powering through the first game and beating that. I fell in love with this world and even started reading the books. I think there's a couple I haven't read yet. Need to track those down too.

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded the new patch today and messed around for about 30 minutes. It still looks really fuckin good and I miss playing that game. It was so much fun and it's my ideal type of game in general. 

For those curious, I chose option 2 for my penis when creating my character because I wanted him to look like @stepee

Option 2 is the bigger penis in case you're wondering. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

For those curious, I chose option 2 for my penis when creating my character because I wanted him to look like @stepee

Option 2 is the bigger penis in case you're wondering. 

So you’re playing as male V this time so that you can tap Panam’s ass, I don’t blame you bro because she’s fine af. :]

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, stepee said:

So they just announced Cyberpunk 2. Looks like CP did all right in the end. Interestingly Red is working on that and it’s a spin off studio working on the new Witcher.

Yep. Imo cyberpunk is a success and I really look forward to a sequel!

• Halal 1

22 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yep. Imo cyberpunk is a success and I really look forward to a sequel!

I was afraid after the last gen console disaster it would be the end of it, as it’s a more interesting world to me than the Witcher. Glad it seems after the netflix show it’s back to positive mindshare as a brand now. Guess I’ll need to watch that.

6 hours ago, stepee said:

So they just announced Cyberpunk 2.

Great news, I really liked the first and I played it at launch on PS4. I could only imagine what I would think of it now playing it on PC. I will have a PS5 by the time that the sequel comes out. Heck, I could have a PS6 by then. :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Brian said:

For a single player game to have that many daily users this far from a terrible launch is fucking impressive and demonstrates how the Netflix show is boosting the game significantly

The question is does it only work for CDPR?

Not that Resident Evil needed help but I didn't hear about a bump for that show (Although, allegedly people didn't like it)

Will be interesting to see what happens after the Last of Us show.

8 minutes ago, Brian said:

For a single player game to have that many daily users this far from a terrible launch is fucking impressive and demonstrates how the Netflix show is boosting the game significantly

Netflix absolutely helped it but overall the game is fantastic so that shines through. 

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The question is does it only work for CDPR?

Not that Resident Evil needed help but I didn't hear about a bump for that show (Although, allegedly people didn't like it)

Will be interesting to see what happens after the Last of Us show.

Maybe the closer equivalent would be to ask about Arkane since Arkane, like Edgerunners, was actually good? (But Edgerunners was still better.)