Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update: Update 2.1 "Overview" trailer and patch notes

legend

12 minutes ago, legend said:

I should mention, ray reconstruction does not work on 3080 cards. They said it works on 3000 series, but even if that's "true" to enable it in the game, you have to enable path tracing, and path tracing requires 4000s series.

Path tracing just fine on my 3090. Dlss balanced. 

50 minutes ago, legend said:

Hmm interesting. I'll have to recheck it. My understanding it was locked for 4000 series. I'm not super optimistic about my 3080 handling it at sufficiently good framerate though.

Yeah path tracing will work on 3000 series just not well (besides on a 3090 on a lower res gets close to 60) - you might be able to get away with a 40fps cap at dlss performance 1440p but if you are playing on tv that’ll look rough. Maybe with ray reconstruction now you could bill that up to dlss balanced though.

But I was surprised to see ray reconstruction not work without it. I didn’t remember hearing anything about it. Does ray reconstruction work at all if a game isn’t path traced?

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah path tracing will work on 3000 series just not well (besides on a 3090 on a lower res gets close to 60) - you might be able to get away with a 40fps cap at dlss performance 1440p but if you are playing on tv that’ll look rough. Maybe with ray reconstruction now you could bill that up to dlss balanced though.

But I was surprised to see ray reconstruction not work without it. I didn’t remember hearing anything about it. Does ray reconstruction work at all if a game isn’t path traced?

I'm not familiar enough with how exactly it works. I initially thought it was, because sparse ray casting issues exists whether you're doing full path tracing or not, but maybe the network is outputting the final image in a way that only makes sense for full path tracing. E.g., if you just had GI lighting magnitudes, you can't use a network trained to output the full RGB.

• Halal 1

Just now, legend said:

I'm not familiar enough with how exactly it works. I initially thought it was, because sparse ray casting issues exists whether you're doing full path tracing or not, but maybe the network is outputting the final image in a way that only makes sense for a full solution. E.g., if you just had GI lighting magnitudes, you can't use a network trained to output the full RGB.

That would make sense! A little disappointing if so though just because that means so many less games will be able to use this near future wise :(

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

That would make sense! A little disappointing if so though just because that means so many less games will be able to use this near future wise :(

Agreed. That path tracing is viable at all on current PCs does suggest we might see it a lot next gen, but then we're waiting till next gen :p 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

I love the NASA-punk aesthetic, the overall more hopeful tone, and the space faring setting of Starfield, but it also feels like a much older and lesser game than Cyberpunk in both form and function. Cyberpunk may be a couple years old, but it remains a graphical high water mark. It's not just the ray tracing either, character interactions are so much better animated and choreographed, and Night City feels so much more completely realized than everything in Starfield (though it obviously benefits from being focused on a single location). While both games often offer both combat and non-combat options, it's Cyberpunk that gives the player significantly more choice in how any individual scenario plays out, and if you choose violence, Cyberpunk offers more varieties of that as well.

Despite all that, I've already spent much more total time in Starfield than I have in Cyberpunk. It's just a setting I enjoy spending time in, even if the game itself feels anachronistic at times. I also think Starfield more variety in the ways that you can spend time. Cyberpunk offers more options for achieving the goals it gives you, but Starfield gives you more goals you can set for yourself. There are a wider variety of big story lines to follow, you can spend time optimizing outposts (though to no real end), or building ships, or you can just wander around scanning planets and playing with generated content.

In the end I've been more impressed by Cyberpunk, and I think my time spent in Starfield only raised my opinion of what CDPR was able to accomplish with their game, but I probably enjoy Starfield more.

• Halal 3

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Although if someone bought you a top of the line PC to play Cyberpunk, like someone got you an XSX for Starfield, I'm sure you'd like Cyberpunk more. :p

Very doubtful. I’ve played Cyber Punk on my PS5. Wasn’t impressed and it wasn’t because of the graphics or performance. The game is stupid af. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

Very doubtful. I’ve played Cyber Punk on my PS5. Wasn’t impressed and it wasn’t because of the graphics or performance. The game is stupid af. 

I guess I'm stupid af. I've gone back to play Cyberpunk multiple times after beating it, I just started a new character last night. Starfield on the other hand, I gave that up after 10 hours. It bored me tears.

• Hugs 1

32 minutes ago, Joestradamus said:

I guess I'm stupid af. I've gone back to play Cyberpunk multiple times after beating it, I just started a new character last night. Starfield on the other hand, I gave that up after 10 hours. It bored me tears.

Doesn't make you stupid af. I just think in my opinion the game premise is stupid af. Also 10 hours into StarField is like 1 hour into a normal game. It starts super slow.

I can manage path traced at 1440p DLSS at ultra performance but man the resolution drop is not worth it. 

In performance mode it’s actually all good, except the frame rate is in mid 40s and low 50s, which unfortunately just a bit too low for me even with gsync. I like that I can at least do it for photo mode though. 

6 hours ago, Dodger said:

This and Starfield make me wish I could afford a beastly gaming PC

No idea what your budget could be (or if you even have one in mind :p ), but this a crazy good deal: 

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/desktops/legion-desktops/legion-t-series-towers/legion-tower-7i-gen-8-(34l-intel)/90v7003bus?clickid=ROYSQa1q%3AxyPUSmRgjX1ly7TUkFRjURxLyIh2M0&irgwc=1&PID=1442478&acid=ww%3Aaffiliate%3Abv0as6&cid=us%3Aaffiliate%3Acxsaam

Use code BENGEXTRA6 and it drops to $2660: 13900KF, RTX 4090, 32gb DDR5. Will run pretty much everything smoothly at 4k. I’m not sure you could build one for that price tbh.

Alternatively for roughly $1k less ($1665): 

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/omen-40l-desktop-gt21-1490xt-bundle-pc?source=aw&subacctid=318621&subacctname=IGN&adcampaigngroup=91539jumpid=af_gen_nc_ns&utm_medium=af&utm_source=aw&utm_campaign=IGN&campaignID=&utm_content=318621_IGN_&awc=7168_1695464658_bd19c5d8ef59810ee6c0a98fce2354df

Use code 10GAMER2023: 13700k, 4070 Ti, 16gb DDR5. Great 1440p machine.

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

No idea what your budget could be (or if you even have one in mind :p ), but this a crazy good deal: 

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/desktops/legion-desktops/legion-t-series-towers/legion-tower-7i-gen-8-(34l-intel)/90v7003bus?clickid=ROYSQa1q%3AxyPUSmRgjX1ly7TUkFRjURxLyIh2M0&irgwc=1&PID=1442478&acid=ww%3Aaffiliate%3Abv0as6&cid=us%3Aaffiliate%3Acxsaam

Use code BENGEXTRA6 and it drops to $2660: 13900KF, RTX 4090, 32gb DDR5. Will run pretty much everything smoothly at 4k. I’m not sure you could build one for that price tbh.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

9 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Alternatively for roughly $1k less ($1665): 

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/omen-40l-desktop-gt21-1490xt-bundle-pc?source=aw&subacctid=318621&subacctname=IGN&adcampaigngroup=91539jumpid=af_gen_nc_ns&utm_medium=af&utm_source=aw&utm_campaign=IGN&campaignID=&utm_content=318621_IGN_&awc=7168_1695464658_bd19c5d8ef59810ee6c0a98fce2354df

Use code 10GAMER2023: 13700k, 4070 Ti, 16gb DDR5. Great 1440p machine.

Damn that is good. I was thinking it’s like 4 grand. I’ll have to think about this.

• Hype 1

It seriously kind of makes everything else worse in comparison in a way that makes the flaws in other games stand out more now. This and probably Alan Wake 2 are the start of next gen preview games and it feels soooo early this gen for that. I really hope ray reconstruction doesn’t need path tracing. They can’t really disassemble path tracing for consoles so it would be a lot of extra work for a pc only feature it seems.

• Hugs 1

15 minutes ago, stepee said:

I really hope ray reconstruction doesn’t need path tracing.

It doesn’t. CD Projekt locked it behind path tracing for some reason but it’s not a requirement for the tech. You can force it on in Cyberpunk without PT by editing the settings .ini (“DLSS_D” needs to be changed to “true” iirc).

• Hype 1

On 9/22/2023 at 9:33 AM, legend said:

I should mention, ray reconstruction does not work on 3080 cards. They said it works on 3000 series, but even if that's "true" to enable it in the game, you have to enable path tracing, and path tracing requires 4000s series.

this is exactly why I decided to bite and get a 4000 series card. Not just for CP2077PL, but for all the games going forward that might also use Ray reconstruction. Maybe some will use it with just regular RT, but for those that employ path tracing, even if they allow it to be turned on for a 3000 card, I don’t think a 3070ti has the grunt to pull it off with decent performance. I’d probably have to be doing DLSS performance mode at 1080p just to get at or above 30fps. Which would make Nvidia’s claims technically true, but far from ideal. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

this is exactly why I decided to bite and get a 4000 series card. Not just for CP2077PL, but for all the games going forward that might also use Ray reconstruction. Maybe some will use it with just regular RT, but for those that employ path tracing, even if they allow it to be turned on for a 3000 card, I don’t think a 3070ti has the grunt to pull it off with decent performance. I’d probably have to be doing DLSS performance mode at 1080p just to get at or above 30fps. Which would make Nvidia’s claims technically true, but far from ideal. 

Turns out you can do pathtracing at 1440p on DLSS performance mode with a 3080 and get frame rates above 30, which was impressive to me. But that's also still unacceptable to me so off it goes and back to non-path-traced raytracing!

The game is still a looker with "regular" ray tracing so I'm going to stick to my plan of waiting for a 5090 release to upgrade, and just suppress the urge to go balls out :p 

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I played 10 minutes of Cyberpunk today to make sure my settings were tuned for the Phantom Liberty drop. The presentation and animation in this game make Starfield feel like it’s a decade old, it’s insane.

Are you speaking about pc? Because I fired up 2.0 on XSX and thought the visuals in Starfield looked better. 

Just now, best3444 said:

Are you speaking about pc? Because I fired up 2.0 on XSX and thought the visuals in Starfield looked better. 

PC yes. I don’t mean purely in terms of fidelity though. Starfield is using a similar approach to conversation framing and animation to what they’ve had in place since Oblivion. It’s fine, it just comes off as dated.