The Outer Worlds - Information Thread, update - "Spacer's Choice Edition" announced for $60 ($10 if you already own base game + both DLC expansions)

Game Information

Game Title: The Outer Worlds

Platforms:

• PC (Oct 25, 2019)
  • PlayStation 4 (Oct 25, 2019)
  • Xbox One (Oct 25, 2019)

Developer: Obsidian Entertainment

Publisher: Private Division

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 86 average - 96% recommended

Critic Reviews

EGM - 10 / 10

The Outer Worlds is an impressive spiritual successor to Obsidian's work on Fallout: New Vegas, mixing familiar design elements and the same zany attitude with an imaginative new universe and even deeper role-playing. While you can breeze through the main questline a bit quicker than in similar games, this is the sort of RPG experience you'll want to play through multiple times, with multiple builds, to see all the systems and narrative paths on offer.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 10 / 10

The combination of The Outer Worlds' stunning visuals and immersive story telling have positioned the game to be an amazing start to a beloved franchise. We've only just scratched the surface with Halcyon's tale, and I am certain Obsidian has begun planting seeds for its future.

PlayStation Universe - 10 / 10

With a startlingly original new world to play in – combined with a warm feeling of familiarity – Obsidian has managed to deliver the one of the best first-person RPG's. This is the game that fans of this genre have been craving, and it is a pure joy to watch Obsidian plop the role-playing crown back squarely down on its head.

We Got This Covered - 5 / 5 stars

Dizzyingly deep, painstakingly polished, remarkably replayable, and marvelously moreish, The Outer Worlds is one of the most refined and well-written RPGs of the generation.

DualShockers - 9.5 / 10

The Outer Worlds is an extremely well-written RPG and one of the best games of 2019.

Stevivor - 9.5 / 10

The Outer Limits has something for everyone — like intricately designed RPGs that have come before it, I found myself plotting my next moves while at work or even playing hockey, desperate to get back into its world and continue my journey.

TechRaptor - 9.5 / 10

Obsidian created a universe that's easy to get lost in. The Outer Worlds oozes personality and charm, and the robust character creator encourages multiple playthroughs just to see how different archetypes affect the gameplay.

Game Informer - 9.3 / 10

Finding your way through (or around) various problems is fun, and a streak of silly humor keeps the tone light enough to counterbalance the darker themes

GamePitt - 9.3 / 10

Personally, I feel that The Outer Worlds is much more than ‘Fallout in Space’, it’s a brilliant masterpiece which strives on player-choice and morality. Whether you’re exploring the numerous planets, working your way through the many quests, trying to get on the good side of a faction, or simply having a ‘blast’ killing everyone, there’s always something to do. Visually the game is simply gorgeous, Mechanically it’s deep and highly customisable for your playstyle, and in terms of the story and lore, there’s so much to read, discover and become a part of.

The Outer Worlds isn’t a simply a game, it’s another universe awaiting your direction.

Xbox Achievements - 92 / 100

The Outer Worlds is not only a breath of fresh air and easily one of Obsidian's best ever games, but it's an experience that can truly wear the player choice badge with pride. From the RPG elements to how you play, The Outer Worlds truly is your adventure. Just don't kill anyone's parents in it, okay?

COGconnected - 91 / 100

The Outer Worlds is a first-person shooter like no other. Offering an open world sandbox in which the entire game is your play-thing, I was easily sucked in and didn’t want to leave.

GamesBeat - 91 / 100

The Outer Worlds is Obsidian's final game as an independent company (it's now part of Xbox Game Studios), and it's one helluva swansong.

Bloody Disgusting - 4.5 / 5 stars

It’s a game that keeps on giving as you can miss so much depending on your choices, and in that sense, it’s very much got a classic game feel to it. It’s a mixture of eras poured into a satirical sci-fi romp and it’s such a joy to experience.

The Outer Worlds may not be exactly what I thought it would be, but I’m so glad it turned out to be what it is.

CGMagazine - 9 / 10

The long awaited follow-up from Obsidian knocks it out of the Tossball park

Daily Dot - 4.5 / 5 stars

Put simply: The Outer Worlds is everything you’d want from a modern RPG.

Destructoid - 9 / 10

Despite some nominal issues that might be easier for some to hand-wave than others, Obsidian has out-Fallouted recent Fallout efforts. The Outer Worlds is more limited from a size standpoint compared to a lot of other open world adventures, but it makes up for it in charm and a succinct vision without much bloat.

Game Rant - 4.5 / 5 stars

Obsidian Entertainment seeks to build on its RPG pedigree with The Outer Worlds, a sci-fi space adventure that is brimming with options.

Game Revolution - 4.5 / 5 stars

This is a must-play for RPG fans, and an absolutely vital game for Fallout fans.

GameSpace - 9 / 10

I think anybody that enjoyed playing the Fallout games, as well as anyone that has enjoyed the Mass Effect titles, would unequivocally enjoy their time playing The Outer Worlds. I had so much fun exploring every nook and cranny, scouring out-of-the-way locations for loot, taking everything that wasn't nailed down, and immersing myself in the otherworldy locations around Halcyon.

GameSpot - 9 / 10

Classic RPG sensibilities enhance wonderful characters, punchy combat, and consistently excellent writing in this sharp space Western.

Gamer Escape - 9 / 10

It may not be the flashiest, prettiest, or most obvious choice for meeting your RPG crave, but trust me, The Outer Worlds is a can’t miss gem of not just 2019, but the entire generation.

Gamers Heroes - 9 / 10

The Outer Worlds has quickly cemented it's place as one of the best RPGs of the current generation. Excellent combat, exploration that never gets stale, characters that never grow old, stories and events that hide endless secrets…The Outer Worlds is simply fantastic.

Generación Xbox - Spanish - 9 / 10

The Outer Worlds is simply one of the best RPGs of the generation.

Metro GameCentral - 9 / 10

A deep, funny, and intricately designed RPG reminiscent of the golden age of Fallout, when conversations mattered and comedy-grade cynicism came fitted as standard.

MonsterVine - 4.5 / 5

The Outer Worlds isn’t reinventing the RPG wheel here, but it is an incredibly fun world to explore and sink countless hours into.

Noisy Pixel - 9 / 10

Everything the player does leads up to an epic conclusion, but the little battles along the way leave a lasting impact as well. This game is more than just a beautiful space opera; it's a real RPG adventure that has finally brought the genre to a new height.

Push Square - 9 / 10

The Outer Worlds is a role-playing triumph. With its sights set squarely on player choice, Obsidian delivers a brilliantly crafted sci-fi adventure that's packed with witty writing, great characters, and a fantastic degree of freedom. Add solid combat and rewarding exploration to the mix, and you've got the recipe for an RPG that begs to replayed time and time again. An essential purchase for fans of the genre.

Screen Rant - 4.5 / 5 stars

The Outer Worlds is exactly what players expected, and that's not a bad thing.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

It’s a fine game under any circumstances, but it’s a top-notch RPG with heavy consequences at almost every turn for those that are willing to immerse themselves. The Outer Worlds doesn’t tell you a story, it gives you a world full of interesting characters and asks you to tell your own.

The Games Machine - Italian - 9 / 10

The Outer Worlds is Obsidian Entertainment's magnum opus, an RPG with an enticing and multifaceted ruleset set in a dystopian capitalistic society. Its only flaws reside in the combat system and gunplay, but these are easely counterbalanced by the excellent writing and the many possibilities offered to the players. Let's hope Obsidian will explore this setting further, possibly with a much needed sequel.

TrueAchievements - 4.5 / 5 stars

The Outer Worlds excels most when it has fun within its own unique identity. The wealth of lore and world-building details could be a little overwhelming for brand new players, but a little confusion early on shouldn't stop anyone from taking The Outer Worlds for a spin.

Windows Central - 4.5 / 5 stars

While rough around the edges, The Outer Worlds journey across the stars is an instant-classic RPG fans cannot miss.

Worth Playing - 9 / 10

The Outer Worlds is an excellent attempt at capturing the Fallout formula in a new setting. It's honest about what it's trying to be, and it never shies away from it. While it may lack the sheer size of Bethesda's behemoth, The Outer Worlds still captures the fun and enjoyment of exploring, completing quests, finding new loot, and being a futuristic adventurer. Anyone who enjoyed the previous-generation Fallouts or is looking for a solid RPG will find a lot to like in The Outer Worlds.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 89 / 100

An excellent adventure that mixes all the good stuff by Obsidian Entertainment, although it's not as big as some other contestants in the genre.

IGN Italy - Italian - 8.8 / 10

A great return to the mainstream scene from Obsidian, with the proper New Vegas spiritual heir that we've all been waiting.

AusGamers - 8.5 / 10

Or should be. Beginning your journey to ultimately try and un-freeze those aboard the long-lost colonial freighter called Hope, you're set loose in the almost wild-west frontier town of Edgewater - run by well-known maker of mass-market goods, Spacer's Choice.

Fextralife - 8.5 / 10

The Outer Worlds takes you on a unique space adventure of your own making, allowing you to rebuild a whole system from the smallest of details. You can be yourself from every choice to every build, branching out to experience unique interactions and perks from companions. There's no game out there quite like The Outer Worlds, and you should not miss out on the ride.

God is a Geek - 8.5 / 10

A spiritual successor to Fallout: New Vegas in every way, The Outer Worlds is better written and more polished than we've since come to expect from the franchise it emulates.

IGN - 8.5 / 10

With The Outer Worlds, Obsidian has found its own path in the space between Bethesda and BioWare's RPGs, and it's a great one.

Paste Magazine - 8.5 / 10

Obsidian is on to something good with The Outer Worlds. The writing has an irresistible humanity, and the factions, skill system, and dynamic companion interactivity offer a beautifully complicated depth that makes me mourn the loss of Fallout 4 all over again. With it, I don't have to miss Fallout: New Vegas anymore—I can just enjoy what its core features have become. So far, this new horizon looks promising.

Press Start - 8.5 / 10

The Outer Worlds is the kind of inspired take on a genre that could only come from a team as passionate and talented as Obsidian. It's not perfect, but it's creative, succinct, compelling and funny in all the right ways. I sincerely hope that this signals the beginning of a new, ongoing franchise because the people and stories of the Halcyon Colony will stick with me for a long time to come.

GameCrate - 8.3 / 10

If you've spent years craving the old Fallout formula, The Outer Worlds will hit the spot.

GamePro - German - 83 / 100

Emphasizes old-fashioned sci-fi role-playing game, which works despite small weaknesses in action and variety, with lots of heart and funny dialogues

Everyeye.it - Italian - 8.2 / 10

The Outer Worlds is a small GDR in size but great in spirit. Obsidian points to the stars of the ruolistic firmament with a razor-sharp writing, subtly refined and deliberately over the top.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8.2 / 10

Obsidian knows what to do. Knowing why Fallout New Vegas was liked, they have created a spiritual successor that focuses on its strengths and adds an exquisite sense of humor to make us spend a few entertaining hours.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Turkish - 81 / 100

If you like classic role playing games, The Outer Worlds will totally absorb you away from real life and keep you entertained. Also, follower system is quite successful.

3DNews - Russian - 8 / 10

The Outer Worlds has everything Obsidian is known for: well-crafted world, interesting characters and rich nonlinear storytelling.

Areajugones - Spanish - 8 / 10

Obsidian offers a new videogame that brings back the outstanding first person RPG gameplay from Fallout New Vegas. However, due to some flaws, this game also feels like it's from 2010, making it a bit obsolete from its very launch date.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4 / 5 stars

The Outer Worlds might not be exactly what you think it's going to be.  It's a smaller game, one that focuses on replay value and role play fantasy to really get the most out of the experience.  It's a dense game though, where there's plenty of lore packed into smaller sandbox style areas.  It's up to you to poke around in the corners of these areas to get the most out of it.

Critical Hit - 8 / 10

Old at heart but young in spirit, The Outer Worlds is a vibrant and stunning new chapter from Obsidian that doubles down on what the studio does best and throws in some surprisingly fun gameplay on top of that.

Daily Star - 4 / 5 stars

Obsidian’s The Outer Worlds feels like a modern-age Fallout title, for better and for worse.

GameSpew - 8 / 10

Put the essence of the Fallout, Mass Effect and Borderlands series into a blender, and what you get is The Outer Worlds.

GameZone - 8 / 10

The Outer Worlds cements itself as an incredibly memorable RPG. Obsidian has built a vibrant and freeing world that is fresh, exciting, and ripe with galactic potential that will hopefully continue being explored in sequels. Even with its shortcomings, its easy to see Obsidian's newest RPG bordering on instant classic status.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

The Outer Worlds is a great space opera action-RPG, with some great art, a lot of humor, and mechanics similar to Fallout, which can please the fans... by the creators of Fallout !

Gamersky - Chinese - 8 / 10

There is no doubt that The Outer Worlds is a decent RPG with tons of interesting missions, and I really enjoy my 30 hours spent in the game. But I think Obsidian could have done better in terms of storytelling.

GamesRadar+ - 4 / 5 stars

The Outer Worlds marks Obsidian operating at the top of its game, and a strong foundation for a new franchise that seems destined for greatness.

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

Even with these unfortunate and evident shortcomings on the technical side, The Outer Worlds is a rewarding and ultimately intriguing adventure to partake in.

MMORPG.com - 8 / 10

In the end, I enjoyed the 40 hour ride through the The Outer Worlds, even though it was sometimes a bumpy one. Still, with the interesting world that was built here, it feels like there was left a lot of untapped potential on the road. Flaws similar to the Fallout series – namely a main story that is little more than a frame holding together the sandbox that the rest of the game is and correspondingly flat characters – prevent it from earning a place in the hall of fame of roleplaying-shooters next to Mass Effect.

OnlySP - 4 / 5 stars

Fans that have been following all things The Outer Worlds up until launch will not be disappointed here. Obsidian managed to produce a title that is completely carried and elevated by its world(s) and characters. With the amount of interesting interactions filled in each conversation, The Outer Worlds will always beg to be revisited. Sadly, The Outer Worlds shot for the moon and only landed among the stars, thanks to combat that feels like shooting a BB gun at walls of sponge. Lackluster combat is only one flaw, but when players are spending nearly half of their time taking part in the flaw, its problems are unavoidable. Still though, Obsidian has crafted something special that fits right up there with its contemporaries. The Outer Worlds completely succeeds in its mission to take players on an interplanetary adventure in ways that have not been seen in gaming for some time. Hopefully, other titles will follow in its footsteps when taking players to brand new worlds.

RPG Site - 8 / 10

Obsidian's new IP takes first-person RPGs to the stars.

TheSixthAxis - 8 / 10

The Outer Worlds is the game that fans have wanted Obsidian Entertainment to make for the better part of a decade. The story is the main attraction here, with Obsidian's witty writing coming to the fore in an interesting and funny interstellar setting. If that's what you look for in your RPGs, The Outer Worlds will not disappoint.

Twinfinite - 4 / 5

As a more compact Fallout-like experience The Outer Worlds really works, and I’m already hoping that we’ll get to return to the Halcyon Colony again someday.

USgamer - 4 / 5 stars

In an alternate reality where modern Fallout retained the the focus on choice and role-playing, The Outer Worlds would be the result. Obsidian Entertainment delivers this small window into that alternate reality, a game that prizes picking the right skills to tackle weird and wild situations. The Outer Worlds shines in the writing, but the combat doesn't equally rise to the occasion. Likewise, the planets you visit could use a few more quests or interesting spots to explore. The Outer Worlds is still a fun romp though, something that will hopefully build to something bigger in the future.

PC Gamer - 79 / 100

There's a category of games I think of as Saturday morning cartoon games. They lack depth, but they are fluffy and easy to enjoy. As I look back on some screenshots as Pippin laser blasts a poor marauder into a pile of dust, I realise that's what The Outer Worlds is to me. If you meet it on those terms, I think you'll enjoy it.

Wccftech - 7.8 / 10

The Outer Worlds is pretty much exactly what you'd expect from Obsidian. The first-person action RPG features a great setting, fantastic writing and remarkable, complex characters to meet. The moment-to-moment gameplay isn't as exciting, though, failing to measure up with the best in the genre. Still, there's plenty to like here as long as you know what you're getting into, not to mention the potential to do much better in a sequel, particularly if the developers had a higher budget to work with.

PCGamesN - 7 / 10

Obsidian's RPG fulfills its potential, but only in fits and starts. Sure, its worst moments are only ever as bad as workmanlike RPG-making, but they make the stretches between some instances of genuine greatness a little more disappointing.Dustin Bailey

The Digital Fix - 7 / 10

Despite an intriguing setting and some solid gun combat, The Outer Worlds borrows too much from the series it's heavily influenced by, leaving it feeling void of originality.

GamingTrend - 65 / 100

For better or worse, The Outer Worlds is a perfectly middle-of-the-road open-world RPG. It doesn't take any big risks, but that also keeps it from falling on its face. Despite some great writing, the game doesn't have much to say about the corporate dystopia it establishes, ultimately playing it too safe to justify the premise. Obsidian's expertise with the genre makes The Outer Worlds a competent RPG, if not an especially interesting one.

Ars Technica - Unscored

It's not perfect. It's not for everyone. But it's probably for you.

Eurogamer - No Recommendation / Blank

A conventional, easygoing scifi RPG with slightly wasted satirical elements that fades very quickly from the mind.

Kotaku - Unscored

The Outer Worlds is so impactful that it made me question and ultimately settle more thoughtfully into my beliefs.

Polygon - Unscored

Obsidian has pulled off the delicate task of creating an RPG that feels big while still keeping control of the overall scope of the game itself.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

The Outer Worlds is alright, innit. It’s good fun. Sit back and let the orange and neon wash over you. Boo the cartoonishly evil corporations. Exhale through your nose at their Diet Toothpaste. I bet I’ll play it again, in fact. But you can tell it could have been great, if it had taken a few more risks.

TrustedReviews - Unscored

With a wacky dark humour, an expansive upgrade system and branching storylines that make every action feel significant, Obsidian Entertainment looks to set a new bar for RPG games.

• Thanks 1

The reviews seemed fine until I read this bit:

The moment-to-moment gameplay isn't as exciting, though, failing to measure up with the best in the genre. 

Uhh, what does this person consider to be the best in the genre? Because this specific genre is pretty narrow. Pretty much just Fallout, I guess. And if the moment-to-moment gameplay doesn't match up to fucking Fallout, a game where the gameplay is some of the most tedious, inane, banal, boring bullshit in gaming, then what is THIS game going to play like??

I really hope they weren't talking about Fallout. 

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

The reviews seemed fine until I read this bit:

Uhh, what does this person consider to be the best in the genre? Because this specific genre is pretty narrow. Pretty much just Fallout, I guess. And if the moment-to-moment gameplay doesn't match up to fucking Fallout, a game where the gameplay is some of the most tedious, inane, banal, boring bullshit in gaming, then what is THIS game going to play like??

I really hope they weren't talking about Fallout. 

This is EXACTLY what I was worried about because the videos I've seen looked VERY Fallout-ish from a gameplay perspective and while the Bethesda games have great worlds, their gameplay fucking SUCKS for longer than ten minutes. As much as I want to replay Skyrim I just can't bring myself to do it.

Can't wait to play it. Too bad I'm busy this weekend and won't get that much time in until next week. Obsidian is going to be one of the best acquisitions for MS that will really pay off for them. Obsidian is going to be the new Bioware after EA finally kills them off. 

24 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This is EXACTLY what I was worried about because the videos I've seen looked VERY Fallout-ish from a gameplay perspective and while the Bethesda games have great worlds, their gameplay fucking SUCKS for longer than ten minutes. As much as I want to replay Skyrim I just can't bring myself to do it.

Early previews noted that the gameplay was a bit janky and not the best, but they also stated that it's an RPG first, and not a shooter. My guess is that it can only be better than New Vegas, but if you try to play it like Fallout 4 or Mass Effect you might have trouble.

Heh, listening to the Giant Bombcast and how they're discussing this game, sounds all great and fun until they talk about how the combat is just... Bethesda style combat. I'm telling you, Disco Elysium took the great writing and story shtick and ran with it, left combat in the dust because no one really comes to this kind of game for the combat. I mean, I'm sure there's a couple people sporting some bonus chromosomes who think it's fun, but the best moments in these games are almost never about combat unless something is bugged to hell in a funny way.

13 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Heh, listening to the Giant Bombcast and how they're discussing this game, sounds all great and fun until they talk about how the combat is just... Bethesda style combat. I'm telling you, Disco Elysium took the great writing and story shtick and ran with it, left combat in the dust because no one really comes to this kind of game for the combat. I mean, I'm sure there's a couple people sporting some bonus chromosomes who think it's fun, but the best moments in these games are almost never about combat unless something is bugged to hell in a funny way.

That could be why the combat hasnt changed much. It took a back seat while they focused on great writing, fun characters, and interesting quests.

I'm ok with that.