Dune - Official Thread of Spice, Sandworms, and Sleepers Awakening

• 10 months later...
On 4/14/2020 at 10:32 AM, Chris- said:

Man I have a high tolerance for geeky shit, but Dune is just over the top...Duncan Idaho, Swordmaster for House Atreides and Duke Leto, who along with his son must fight off the Baron and protect the spice. It's like a random jumble of titles and tropes, then you throw in normal names like 'Paul' to run alongside shit like 'Gurney' and it becomes an even bigger mess. 

On 4/14/2020 at 1:03 PM, Chris- said:

Swordmaster Idaho has a thing or two to say about that. 

On 4/14/2020 at 11:09 AM, Chris- said:

You're lying.

On 4/14/2020 at 1:13 PM, Chris- said:

I’ve now reached the conclusion that science-fiction is the dumbest possible genre. My god. 

On 4/14/2020 at 1:26 PM, Chris- said:

Here’s the thing: I love ridiculous, dumb things, so in that sense I can totally get behind all of this. But I feel like Dune (and sci-fi in general) is often held up as some kind of intellectual exercise, and that’s a really hard sell when the author in question leaned back and said, “What if Islam and Buddhism had a baby?” 

On 9/12/2020 at 2:51 PM, Chris- said:

So what if a sword is thrown (and is thus a projectile), will it penetrate the shield? Why not design guns that shoot beneath the shields' protection threshold? Moreover they have the technology to create shields that block lasers, but their technology is insufficient to create shields that block blades? What a stupid book/movie!

On 9/20/2021 at 12:42 PM, Chris- said:

I’m sure it’s going to be a fine, dumb sci-fi romp that takes itself way too seriously. No reason they can’t juice Part 2 out of it. 

I'm here to eat some crow - after reading the first book and seeing the film, this shit rules.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Hype 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Chris- said:
EW.COM

Yes, Anya Taylor-Joy is in 'Dune: Part Two.' The 'Furiosa' star made a surprise appearance at the London premiere.

I was wondering how they would make that work! Interested to see how it translates to the screen.

GOLLY GEE! I WONDER WHICH CHARACTER SHE COULD POSSIBLY BE PORTRAYING?!?!

• Sicko Sherman 1

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

GOLLY GEE! I WONDER WHICH CHARACTER SHE COULD POSSIBLY BE PORTRAYING?!?!

This kind of stupid fucking shit is why I maintain that trying to “not spoil” adaptations of 50 year old media is just... so silly.

"It required so much work to keep that secret," Villeneuve told EW. "Everybody signed with their blood."

Why?? Why so much work?? Who cares! The notion that time, money, and energy would be spent through 2024 to keep a casting “secret” for a film adaptation of a book that came out when Lyndon B. Johnson was president absolutely boggles my mind. What a world.

• Haha 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

I am genuinely pleased with what Denis was able to achieve here. It is decidedly difficult material to translate to the screen, and I think he mostly sticks the landing. I haven't read any reviews yet, but I am not surprised that the reaction is overwhelmingly positive. I would love to see a combination cut of the two halves officially released at some point, though I suspect there will be some unofficial ones coming later in the year.

I am happy that two of my favorite big budget directors (Nolan and Villeneuve) are putting out these sorts of films right now. We need more big stuff with depth, it can't just be the popcorn munchers.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hype 2

13 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I am genuinely pleased with what Denis was able to achieve here. It is decidedly difficult material to translate to the screen, and I think he mostly sticks the landing. I haven't read any reviews yet, but I am not surprised that the reaction is overwhelmingly positive. I would love to see a combination cut of the two halves officially released at some point, though I suspect there will be some unofficial ones coming later in the year.

I am happy that two of my favorite big budget directors (Nolan and Villeneuve) are putting out these sorts of films right now. We need more big stuff with depth, it can't just be the popcorn munchers.

I imagine with the reception (and what looks to be a bigger box office haul than the first) that Denis will get his change for Dune 3: Messiah, and complete Paul's story.

Just got back the theater. 1 million out of 10. Fucking flawless. No notes. 

Im exhausted so im not gonna get into a full spoiler filled review on the finer details of the story and their choices on how the adapted it. I’ll just say it fucking works, all of it. This feels a little like LotR in that there are some pretty major things left out but you don’t miss them and the feeling and themes are all there. I’m excited to talk about it once people start seeing it. 

For the love of god see this in the best theater possible with the best SOUND system possible. Those subwoofers in the seats were working overtime. 

Amazing

• True 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

I want to see this soon, but

1. My wife doesn't enjoy going to theaters anymore; and

2. We got Covid this last week (first time!) and are still recovering so we probably shouldn't be in a theater now anyway.

:/ 

Saw it in a full IMAX and will echo Mercury's praise. 10/10, movie of the year. Performances were outstanding. Javier Bardem as Stilgar was incredible, and Chalamet portrayed Paul's descent/ascent into power so terrifyingly.

There is no doubt in my mind that Dune Part 3 will be made. Casual people leaving the theatre clearly wanted more, and while the movie wraps up the story, it leaves the next part clearly wide open and waiting. Fuck...the last scene was so powerful.

Spoiler

"Send them to paradise" as he launches a holy war that will kill billions across the stars.

It made (I think) minor deviations from the book, no greater or worse than the LOTR trilogy, and it kept the spirit of the book 100%.

• Hugs 1
  • Hype 1

You’re right, Bardem was an absolute stand out star. Everything Chalamet does from the time Paul goes south through the end of the movie is absolutely incredible. Rebecca Ferguson’s descent also can’t be ignored. Honestly there’s not a single performance that falls below outstanding. Everything from the arrival from the South onward I basically sat there thinking “this is far and away the most epic shit I’ve ever seen in my life”. Anyone mad they didn’t get badass Luke in  Last Jedi is gonna love this shit 😂

Seriously I could go on forever. The cinematography on Geidi Prime, the duel, THAT ARRIVAL during the battle 😳

First movie I’ve seen in a long time with applause from the audience, first one I immediately wanted to buy another ticket too and see it again. Give me extended editions released as single cut I’m more than happy sitting for 7/8 hours watching this story unfold. 

• True 1

I take it there's no way to understand this without seeing the first? My friend would like to see it with us, and we can't for two weeks due to scheduling/vacation, but I'd be interested in seeing it with him.

But we haven't watched Part 1, which I feel would be incredibly important. :p 

10 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I take it there's no way to understand this without seeing the first? My friend would like to see it with us, and we can't for two weeks due to scheduling/vacation, but I'd be interested in seeing it with him.

But we haven't watched Part 1, which I feel would be incredibly important. :p 

Haha yeah this movie is pretty much the last third of the book. It’s one continuous story so you’d be pretty lost. 

• CitizenVectron changed the title to Dune - Official Thread of Spice, Sandworms, and Sleepers Awakening

I absolutely loved Dune part 2. I rewatched part one the other day and I liked it more than I recalled, but part two is on another level. It's instantly iconic. People love to put Dune (the book) up there with Star Wars and LOTR, and part one aspired to that level, but I think part two actually lives up to that level.

I saw it in Dolby Cinema and I really have to reccomend seeking out the best sounding theater near you, be it Dolby, IMAX, or whatever. Villeneuve had a little intro talking about why Dolby is so great, and I think the HDR is well done, but it was really the sound experience that pushed this film over the top.

Really hard to recommend this one enough, but definitely see the first movie. Like LOTR, Dune is one story split across multiple movies.

• Hugs 1

21 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I absolutely loved Dune part 2. I rewatched part one the other day and I liked it more than I recalled, but part two is on another level. It's instantly iconic. People love to put Dune (the book) up there with Star Wars and LOTR, and part one aspired to that level, but I think part two actually lives up to that level.

I saw it in Dolby Cinema and I really have to reccomend seeking out the best sounding theater near you, be it Dolby, IMAX, or whatever. Villeneuve had a little intro talking about why Dolby is so great, and I think the HDR is well done, but it was really the sound experience that pushed this film over the top.

Really hard to recommend this one enough, but definitely see the first movie. Like LOTR, Dune is one story split across multiple movies.

I can't wait until the inevitable 5-hour combined movie that people will splice.

• Hype 1