The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

What are some areas in which you see a direct connection between teenage behavior and late adult behavior? I do think life circumstances can play a role from one period to another, such as the differences cause by dropping out of high school vs. graduating from a good university.

It's difficult for me to slice it up into specific well defined areas. Most people I know, though evolved, are still clearly the same person with many of the same traits. I'm also frequently told by psychologists that past behavior is still the best predictor, even if it's not certainty.

I'm open to changing by tune if we can find some studies on the topic.

3 minutes ago, legend said:

It's difficult for me to slice it up into specific well defined areas. Most people I know, though evolved, are still clearly the same person with many of the same traits. I'm also frequently told by psychologists that past behavior is still the best predictor, even if it's not certainty.

I'm open to changing by tune if we can find some studies on the topic.

But would they say a *single* past action is the best predictor, or the collection of behaviors over a person’s entire life? How do you weight different eras of a person’s life with regards to determining the character in the now?

I also think we need to be sure we aren’t conflating character traits with personality traits. Personality is much more set and likely hereditary to a large degree, character far less so.

19 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

But would they say a *single* past action is the best predictor, or the collection of behaviors over a person’s entire life? How do you weight different eras of a person’s life with regards to determining the character in the now?

Depends on the action. Some actions I wouldn't expect to see especially frequently, even by a bad actor, because there is an inherent risk that would result in them only happening in the right circumstances. Such a property (when coupled with other dynamics) can result in a single observation actually having a lot of evidential weight.  

Some single actions are also significant enough to require a fundamentally bad characteristic of the actor and would otherwise be incredibly uncommon without that trait.

I'd put rape under both of the above.

To be clear, I say this knowing I'm not an expert. This belief is merely a result of a mixture of my own experiences and an extrapolation from a collection of interactions with psychologists that were not explicitly about this topic. Consequently, I don't make this claim with a whole lot of confidence.

I also think we need to be sure we aren’t conflating character traits with personality traits. Personality is much more set and likely hereditary to a large degree, character far less so.

Hmm perhaps so. Can you elaborate more on the distinctions between these or point me in the right direction of a discussion on them?

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t think, and I would argue the science of brain development backs this up, that anything you do as a 17 year old has any relation to your character as a 50 year old. These things aren’t set in stone, character develops over time. Really bad people turn into really good people, and the reverse is certainly true as well.

As Jason pointed out, torturing animals as a child does lead to serial killer tendencies into adulthood. 

I agree many men can change, and if he did, good for him. But if he had these tendencies, even as a minor, I don't think you deserve the highest position in the land. To live and work freely in life? Sure! But to be a Supreme Court Justice? That's exactly why we have these vetting procedures. 

Also, given the rest of everything we know about the guy, this in tandem with everything else should disqualify him.

Also, I've never (personally, yes, anecdotally) known a guy who has done that kind of shit (and I knew a few, unfortunately) and ever changed - they're mostly the same pieces of shit they were, they just know how to hide it as adults. And given how insidious and vicious bland McBland guy Kavanaugh has been as an adult (he's done some pretty heinous shit during the Bush years especially yet he comes off as vanilla) shows me he knows exactly how to hide his bad behavior. 

5 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'm 35 and went to a school with thousands of students. I couldn't come close to naming 65 women I went to HS with. I can't imagine it would be any easier at 50.

I'm also 35 and I feel like at this point I'd have a hard time pulling in a list of that many people in general to vouch for my character, let alone all women.

21 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

I'm also 35 and I feel like at this point I'd have a hard time pulling in a list of that many people in general to vouch for my character, let alone all women.

65 non-family members who knew me at 16 and are willing to vouch for my character? Yeah, that's not happening. That's such a weirdly large number.

34 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

65 non-family members who knew me at 16 and are willing to vouch for my character? Yeah, that's not happening. That's such a weirdly large number.

You mean you don't have 65 women on speed dial willing to vouch for your never having raped them? Why don't you have a seat over there... 

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

They faked it. 

What Democrat is going to actually search for all 65 of those people to see if they actually signed it, or if these 65 people are even real?

It's not even about faking it. It's the number. Like, if the letter were signed by five women, sure. Ten women, whatever. Twenty women, yeah why not. 65 women? That's large enough to be seen as an obvious exaggeration. It's like that kid in high school that swore he had like thirty girlfriends in twenty different states.

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

They faked it. 

What Democrat is going to actually search for all 65 of those people to see if they actually signed it, or if these 65 people are even real?

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

It's not even about faking it. It's the number. Like, if the letter were signed by five women, sure. Ten women, whatever. Twenty women, yeah why not. 65 women? That's large enough to be seen as an obvious exaggeration. It's like that kid in high school that swore he had like thirty girlfriends in twenty different states.

I think it's less likely that they faked it than that they knew this was coming a long time ago.

11 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I’ll say that I unequivocally will not hold the actions of a minor against them when they are 50. There is a reason we don’t punish minors as harshly for the same crimes as adults, your brain isn’t even fully developed. If he has continued this behavior into adulthood, ahem, lock him up.

A valid argument in a society where minors are never charged as adults.

I'm inclined to agree with the spirit of your argument to an extent, but I have a problem with how you're presenting it here.

15 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

The last two points make this especially damning. If this person worked for a company, they would be fired. Instead we are most definitely still going to promote him into a position where he will help dictate the lives of Americans for the next three or so decades.

Ouch.  

Still, it was political theater to give this information to the FBI (isn't that what happened?).  The FBI essentially has no jurisdiction on something like this.  Even if the statue of limitations hasn't expired, it would be a state issue.   The Democrats are a bunch of jabronis for that move. 

Just now, MarSolo said:

Outside of Merrick Garland, who didn’t even get a hearing, had there ever been a nomination for the Supreme Court that didn’t get confirmed?

Yes.  Robert Bork during the Reagan admin was a notable example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsuccessful_nominations_to_the_Supreme_Court_of_the_United_States#Ronald_Reagan

To review:

1. Kavanaugh's accuser is now on the record: Her name is Christine Blasey Ford

2. Ford has offered a detailed account of sexual assault by Kavanaugh

3. Ford's account corroborated by therapists notes from 2012

4. Ford passed a polygraph test by former FBI agent

Yeah, but did they ask her if she wrote the NYT op-ed?

30 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Kavanaugh denying he did it is pretty bad considering it's corroborated through therapist notes. 

He seemed like a douche the way he conducted himself in front of the Parkland father, but this is on another level now.

Obviously what happened is the Democrats had Soros pay for lizard people time travel technology so Ben Ghazi could plant those therapist notes to make Trump look bad.

38 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Kavanaugh denying he did it is pretty bad considering it's corroborated through therapist notes. 

He seemed like a douche the way he conducted himself in front of the Parkland father, but this is on another level now.

No wonder Kavanaugh was the only one Turtle was worried about his ability to get confirmed.