The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

Franken had an excellent line of questioning he posted on his Facebook page on how he would approach his confirmation. Start by asking about the statement he made when he accepted the nomination for SCOTUS, specifically about how he claimed Trump searched better than any other president for a dcotus pick. I'll see if I can find it.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Franken had an excellent line of questioning he posted on his Facebook page on how he would approach his confirmation. Start by asking about the statement he made when he accepted the nomination for SCOTUS, specifically about how he claimed Trump searched better than any other president for a dcotus pick. I'll see if I can find it.

Also,

42 minutes ago, Jason said:

Good thing we ran Franken out of the Senate.

Reveal hidden contents

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Here it is. Long but good

https://m.facebook.com/senatoralfranken/posts/1830068093745731

48 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

I'm now more than convinced that those allegations against Franken were a deliberate hit job.

Notice how we haven't heard ANYTHING about them since he resigned?

The second accusation amounted to "one time Franken was a jerk about make sure I knew I'd lost an argument with him" and came from a right-wing blogger who called Bill O'Reilly getting fired a "scalping". But, you know, BELIEVE THE VICTIM, NOTHING SUSPICIOUS HERE!

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I think it is a pretty bogus line of questioning. Senator Lee was right to

note it’s a town of lawyers and law firms (even the senate is filled with attorneys), and he very well may have had a conversation with somebody who worked there with or without his knowledge of the particular firm they work at. He’s also a judge so much of his social engagements are with other people in the legal profession.

If she thinks he talked to somebody at that firm, name the individual.

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

note it’s a town of lawyers and law firms (even the senate is filled with attorneys), and he very well may have had a conversation with somebody who worked there with or without his knowledge of the particular firm they work at. He’s also a judge so much of his social engagements are with other people in the legal profession.

He very easily could have said that to his knowledge, he hadn't. He's under oath, so he wouldn't be lying if he was not aware that someone he had spoken to worked at that firm. Nobody would have held that against him. His caginess here is the issue.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

He very easily could have said that to his knowledge, he hadn't. He's under oath, so he wouldn't be lying if he was not aware that someone he had spoken to worked at that firm. Nobody would have held that against him. His caginess here is the issue.

Yeah I agree with that. If he gave the answer "I never knowingly talked to someone at the firm about the topic, but it's possible some degree of discussion happened with someone whom I didn't know worked there being that it's a big story" it would have been a completely legit answer. His refusal to say that though is concerning. It raises the issue that he did deliberately talk to someone there about it, but doesn't want to say while also not wanting to get caught in a lie if she knows he did and can prove he intentionally spoke to someone there about it.

2 minutes ago, legend said:

Yeah I agree with that. If he gave the answer "I never knowingly talked to someone at the firm about the topic, but it's possible some degree of discussion happened with someone whom I didn't know worked there being that it's a big story" it would have been a completely legit answer. His refusal to say that though is concerning. It raises the issue that he did know, but doesn't want to say while also not get caught in a lie if she knows.

Hell, he could have said "I have, but at the time I didn't realize their firm was representing the president". There are like a million ways to answer that question. Simply refusing to is like the worse way possible.

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I was under the impression that Harris was restrained from being too direct with that information because of the various games Republicans are playing to restrict what Dems can ask about.

I think in a vacuum the point about there being a lot of people at a lot of firms is a fair point. But in this specific case, her questioning and his reaction makes it pretty clear that, for whatever reasons, we've got a dirty little secret one side can't reveal and the other doesn't want to reveal.

I watched the entire 12 hour hearing yesterday, and there was something that became crystal clear.

Brett Kavanaugh is a pretty average conservative judge, on most issues. However, there are two specific issues where he is well outside the judicial norm, and holds opinions that are not found in any statute or precedent. That is presidential power and abortion.

It's not surprising the WH and GOP committee members are withholding documents. But's it obvious from just one day of testimony that he has deeply held personal convictions that he uses the judiciary to carry out.

8 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I watched the entire 12 hour hearing yesterday, and there was something that became crystal clear.

Brett Kavanaugh is a pretty average conservative judge, on most issues. However, there are two specific issues where he is well outside the judicial norm, and holds opinions that are not found in any statute or precedent. That is presidential power and abortion.

It's not surprising the WH and GOP committee members are withholding documents. But's it obvious from just one day of testimony that he has deeply held personal convictions that he uses the judiciary to carry out.

Kavanugh isn't a conservative judge legally - he's a conservative judge politically, and that makes all the difference in the world. He isn't a conservative judge in the "I keep to precedent" stance, because he's shown he's willing to overturn precedent. He's an activist judge in a boring, bland person's clothing, and we should be very wary of him. I think you are right on the money. 

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

His initial response was “I’m not remembering” and then she goes to the “yes or no” push. He asks for more specificity regarding the person Harris has in mind and she won’t do it.

56 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I was under the impression that Harris was restrained from being too direct with that information because of the various games Republicans are playing to restrict what Dems can ask about.

Could be. Just seemed like typical cross tactics, which Harris is very familiar with. Is there some particular rule the chair put into play that restricted her from asking the specific person?