The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

His initial response was “I’m not remembering” and then she goes to the “yes or no” push. He asks for more specificity regarding the person Harris has in mind and she won’t do it.

Could be. Just seemed like typical cross tactics, which Harris is very familiar with. Is there some particular rule the chair put into play that restricted her from asking the specific person?

Grassley may have decided any documents with that information is committee confidential

14 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Here's the emails Corey Booker was referring to yesterday and this morning.

https://www.scribd.com/document/387988906/Booker-Confidential-Kavanaugh-Hearing

I read through most of these and don't see any reason why they should be confidential, they should have been available for full public review. I also don't see anything that looks offensive either, there is some anti-affirmative action and colorblind talk but that doesn't seem unexpected from a republican originalist nominee for the SC. 

I am definitely no lawyer so I could certainly be missing something 

• Like 1

Just now, elbobo said:

I read through most of these and don't see any reason why they should be confidential, they should have been available for full public review. I also don't see anything that looks offensive either, there is some anti-affirmative action and colorblind talk but that doesn't seem unexpected from a republican originalist nominee for the SC. 

I am definitely no lawyer so I could certainly be missing something 

I had the exact same reaction.

The hype seems very Booker-esque. He's a bit too smug for my taste.

6 minutes ago, outsida said:

This was honestly my biggest take away from yesterday.

Leahy was suggesting a GOP staffer stole materials from him, and then gave them to Kavanaugh. Leahy asked Kavanaugh about those materials in his 2006 confirmation hearing, and Kavanaugh said he had no idea about it.

Patrick Leahy just started his questioning.

17 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I had the exact same reaction.

The hype seems very Booker-esque. He's a bit too smug for my taste.

Cory Booker is a corporatist Democrat through and through and that's my biggest problem with him. He just shills for the party - he has no actual values. I mean, he's intelligent and establishment, so he'd be a blessing after Trump, but I'd take Warren, Gillibrand, Harris, or Sanders any day. 

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

Seems like this guy would be well and truly Borked if not for the GOP disregarding everything in the pursuit of raw political power.

Edit: Also, as someone who generally doesn't agree with far-left fever dreams, I have to say the GOP is doing just about everything they can to make a case for why President Warren and her Congressional majority should impeach Justice Cavanaugh in 2020 for being an illegitimate appointee.

In a normal world, he probably would be your run-of-the-mill very conservative judge... but we're in Trump world, and nothing he wants will be going through without a fight.And after Merrick Garland, all of the republicans in congress can get fucked from now until the end of eternity. They threw down the bullshit gauntlet and they don't get to complain when it's thrown back at them. Fuck them all. Fuck them all forever and ever. FUCK THEM. Turn the whole thing into clown show. It doesn't matter. The system is broken and the while both parties deserve blame, the republicans deserve WAY MORE BLAME. They deserve like 80% of the blame.

They can wallow in the shit pool they filled with shit. They don't get to complain about the shit. They put it there.

• Like 1

I saw some of the hearing on twitter. What a damn joke! I don't believe he acted like a tv sitcom when he pretended not know how to answer some questions. I thought Ashton Kutchner was going to come out and say somebody got punked cause I could not believe this was going on.

48 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

That's definitely a Cory Booker move right there.

It is, most definitely, a quintisential Cory Booker move.

Anyone remember recently when he was in a photo with people supporting Palestine (he held up a sign and eveyrthing) and when it was "found out" he rolled back on the photo HARD? Guy just wants to be President. He doesn't care about much else I don't think. Like I said, he is smart and a corporate/establishment Democrat - that's the beginning and the ending of what is interesting about him. A few years ago I thought he had potential but he isn't what he could have been. This was just three weeks ago:

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I would assume Cory Booker did something like this to make sure the hearings are top news over Woodward/anonymous NYT guy.

If that's true, he's more savvy than I gave him credit for. Where has that savviness been the rest of the time when we needed Dems to fight back and keep the important things in the news?

8 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I would assume Cory Booker did something like this to make sure the hearings are top news over Woodward/anonymous NYT guy.

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

If that's true, he's more savvy than I gave him credit for. 

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

:thinking:

But if that's what happened, now the story is going to become this:

• Haha 1