Update: RIP in Peace, Anthem

skillzdadirecta

I'm among the people that would like to see this succeed. I was very interested in the game before launch, put off by the reactions to the game, and would be very willing to give it a go if a redesign was well received.

That said, I'll be surprised if they can make it work. What are the good examples of this having worked in the past? I know it's happened, but I'm struggling to come up with any. I know Destiny evolved slowly, but that wasn't a complete overhaul like they're talking about here.

17 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

That said, I'll be surprised if they can make it work. What are the good examples of this having worked in the past? I know it's happened, but I'm struggling to come up with any. I know Destiny evolved slowly, but that wasn't a complete overhaul like they're talking about here.

Any Ubisoft game.

3 hours ago, Dodger said:

Would be nice if they could just move on to making the next Dragon Age amazing to make up for this.

I fired up Inquisition the other day. After 5 years, that game still holds up surprisingly really well imo. A next gen Dragon Age might be my swan song in gaming. lol

12 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Any Ubisoft game.

Not only every ubisoft game, but also almost every game in the schlooter genre (The Division and the destinies). I think a good portion of the negative reaction to Anthem was fatigue from these types of games launching broken and content lacking. Anthem was the straw that broke the gamers back.

13 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I'm among the people that would like to see this succeed. I was very interested in the game before launch, put off by the reactions to the game, and would be very willing to give it a go if a redesign was well received.

Final Fantasy XIV gets brought up a lot

No Mans Sky to a certain extent

11 hours ago, Moa said:

Not only every ubisoft game, but also almost every game in the schlooter genre (The Division and the destinies). I think a good portion of the negative reaction to Anthem was fatigue from these types of games launching broken and content lacking. Anthem was the straw that broke the gamers back.

Maybe I'm overestimating what I'm expecting them to do with Anthem, but from the sounds of it they're trying to reinvent the game. Destiny certainly evolved a lot, but I never got the impression that it was rebooted to the level that they're implying with Anthem.

I don't care, I'm okay-boomer-ing out right now:

If the game wasn't good when it launched, it goes on my mental ignore list as a "shitty game" and I'm done. It makes me feel like any time I'd pick the game up it'd just be improved six months later and I'm bound to play some inferior version, I don't have the time for that OCD-inducing Black Mirror scenario as a boomer trapped in a millenial body. 

17 hours ago, Moa said:

school looter genre? 

I’ve said it in the past -  but I had a lot of fun running through the campaign. The gameplay is really great and the world itself was beautiful and fun to explore for a while. I think i put 60hrs in and don’t feel jaded about longevity - I got my monies worth. However I can’t help but feel disappointed with the end game. I would’ve loved a reason to stick around and play. 

that said, I’m really looking forward to seeing what they come up with. I will absolutely reinstall and give it another go. 

4 hours ago, atom631 said:

I’ve said it in the past -  but I had a lot of fun running through the campaign. The gameplay is really great and the world itself was beautiful and fun to explore for a while. I think i put 60hrs in and don’t feel jaded about longevity - I got my monies worth. However I can’t help but feel disappointed with the end game. I would’ve loved a reason to stick around and play. 

that said, I’m really looking forward to seeing what they come up with. I will absolutely reinstall and give it another go. 

exactly this

I will still pop it on to play from time to time in short bursts.

It's actually come a long way since launch, with most of the initially critisisms fixed already.  Free Play has been fleshed out quite a bit with lots of quality of life improvements.

The issue still does lie with the Loot itself not being interesting enough to really drive you to want to continue collecting it, and the end game loop just not being well developed enough. 

Things that I believe can be remedied with some work.  

Def look forward to see what they do with it.

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, PaladinSolo said:

Loot changes are nice but without an expansion level amount of new content I probably won't bother to check it out, i can only kill that spider queen so many times, lol. 

They've shown some new content. 

Id assume a rerelease will be next gen updates along with a big expansion in story and content.

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Still wondering if I should just buy it for 9 bucks or so right now before the price jacks back up for the re-launch. I mean, there's always the outside chance it might be good.

Don't you have Game Pass?  Isn't it on EA Play? 

But yeah, for $9 I'd say probably safe to have it in your library just in case.

Just now, JPDunks4 said:

Don't you have Game Pass?  Isn't it on EA Play? 

I have GP, but I haven't bothered to look at what EA Play has to offer before it goes live for GP on Nov 10. If it's in there, then I'll just check it out through there.

I also can't help but wonder if they'll make the base game F2P and just charge for MTX and expansions like Destiny 2. 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Brick said:

Even if they're dedicated to making this a viable franchise, wouldn't just making a sequel be better at this point? 

I would love for BioWare to prove everyone wrong though. 

Ya a sequel makes way more sense at this point.

I think you guys are severely underestimating the cost of a sequel. It'll go from 30-90 people working on the game for a year or so to probably 350+ people easily working on a sequel for several years and making brand new assets from scratch... for an unproven franchise. Redesigning the game is a trillion times better in terms of actually getting greenlit, winning back goodwill and being able to nail down a bunch of concepts that could eventually be used in a sequel. 

If they started a sequel now and released it in a few years I could see it tanking hard just based on Anthem 1, its broken launch promises, and its broken post-launch promises. That would be an express ticket for Bioware to the EA dev graveyard.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

I think you guys are severely underestimating the cost of a sequel. It'll go from 30-90 people working on the game for a year or so to probably 350+ people easily working on a sequel for several years and making brand new assets from scratch... for an unproven franchise. Redesigning the game is a trillion times better in terms of actually getting greenlit, winning back goodwill and being able to nail down a bunch of concepts that could eventuality be used in a sequel. 

If they started a sequel now and released it in a few years I could see it tanking hard just based on Anthem 1, its broken launch promises, and its broken post-launch promises. That would be an express ticket for Bioware to the EA dev graveyard.

Just redesign anthem 1 and release it as Anthem 2

Easy money, plus EA does it for all their other games!