Update: RIP in Peace, Anthem

skillzdadirecta

14 hours ago, Brick said:

Even if they're dedicated to making this a viable franchise, wouldn't just making a sequel be better at this point? 

I would love for BioWare to prove everyone wrong though. 

making a sequel is an even bigger gamble than just updating this game. They’d have to start almost completely over? and after the meme that Anthem has been who’s jumping on day one but a few fans? They’d have to spend almost as much marketing the game as they would developing it just to generate enough positive hype to have a chance at decent day one sales. 

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Just redesign anthem 1 and release it as Anthem 2

Easy money, plus EA does it for all their other games!

I don’t know about a full in Anthem 2, but they probably need at least as much as a beefy expansion worth of updated content and story. 

19 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Anthem needs to fall so TitanFall 3 can rise

Matthew Broderick Jewish GIF

wrong developer. The two have nothing to do with each other. With the success of Apex Legends and Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, I have a feeling those franchises are where much of their time and energy is being put. 

As well as it was received critically Titanfall 2 didn’t do nearly as well as those two. EA sent it out to die, so I doubt they’re in a hurry to finance another one. 

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Just redesign anthem 1 and release it as Anthem 2

Easy money, plus EA does it for all their other games!

I should also clarify that part of the make-good, at least for me, is that whatever they do, it must be free for people who bought Anthem 1.

Call it whatever you want, but I paid for Anthem already, you can charge again, of course, but at what cost? I won't fucking be there if that happens, and I'm one of the few who think Anthem has absolutely badass combat. Most people think the game is a total joke, if they see you dicked over the only people that supported you multiple times, well, let's just say that even gamers in their infinite capacity to be unbelievable suckers (and proud of that fact, no less) eventually do have limits on what will hype them up, as CDPR just learned. Anthem doesn't even have the benefit of riding on the coattails of a game like The Witcher 3, last games we saw from Bioware were... less well received than their hayday.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Call it whatever you want, but I paid for Anthem already, you can charge again, of course, but at what cost?

If you bought the first one you're special and only have to pay $40 for the fixed version or you could pay $60 for the super special edition of the fixed version

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

It's been a while since I checked on Anthem news. Was part of the games problem the engine it was built in? I was trying to think how that might affect development moving forward. 

The engine was a big part of it, yeah. The Frostbite engine was made for Battlefield games, but EA is forcing its studios to use it for almost all their games, even ones of a completely different genre than a first person shooter, and it's incredibly difficult to develop for. Even Mass Effect Andromeda has issues because of it, and while it wouldn't have completely saved the game, had they used Unreal Engine 4 instead, I'm sure a lot of their troubles with that game could have been avoided. 

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I should also clarify that part of the make-good, at least for me, is that whatever they do, it must be free for people who bought Anthem 1.

Call it whatever you want, but I paid for Anthem already, you can charge again, of course, but at what cost? I won't fucking be there if that happens, and I'm one of the few who think Anthem has absolutely badass combat. Most people think the game is a total joke, if they see you dicked over the only people that supported you multiple times, well, let's just say that even gamers in their infinite capacity to be unbelievable suckers (and proud of that fact, no less) eventually do have limits on what will hype them up, as CDPR just learned. Anthem doesn't even have the benefit of riding on the coattails of a game like The Witcher 3, last games we saw from Bioware were... less well received than their hayday.

Id say anyone who has anything negative to say about the actual gameplay of Anthem has never actually played it and is mostly likely one of those idiot gamers that just follows the crowd. That game plays AMAZING. Hell even the verticality of the world is fantastic, they just didn’t put anything in it. And the story, loot and end game are a disaster. But because of the gameplay, I don’t regret the $60 or 60 hours I put into that game. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Brick said:

The engine was a big part of it, yeah. The Frostbite engine was made for Battlefield games, but EA is forcing its studios to use it for almost all their games, even ones of a completely different genre than a first person shooter, and it's incredibly difficult to develop for. Even Mass Effect Andromeda has issues because of it, and while it wouldn't have completely saved the game, had they used Unreal Engine 4 instead, I'm sure a lot of their troubles with that game could have been avoided. 

considering what they had to build from scratch inside frostbite that UE has tools for, I’d imagine that would have freed up a bunch of time to work other aspects of the game. Like actual content. Same for ME Andromeda. 

I can’t imagine the loss in sales is offset by not paying for a more appropriate engine and using their own in-house engine. 

• 3 weeks later...

Good, scraping that shit to concentrate on DA and ME is exactly what they should be doing. Anthem was almost on to something but really the only good part about it was the core gameplay of the shooting which is essentially Mass Effect and the flying. So just add a jet pack to Mass Effect if they want to try this again. Nobody gives a shit about the Anthem universe.

I've seen too many games turn things around after a botched launch, was kind of hoping Anthem would be another of those.  Bioware needed a win.

Still, I never played Anthem for the same reason I never played Avengers.  I don't care about loot heavy multiplayer grinds.  There's not as much appeal for the action-loot genre as publishers believed.

8 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

This makes me sad. I definitely accept the game has plenty of issues, but there is actually also quite a few things to love about it. Damn it all, there are not enough good powered armor games! 

And that's the worst part.  I loved what I first saw of the game.

A shame they couldn't pull something together that vastly improved the game, and impressed people enough to bring them back, and new people in, ala The Taken King for Destiny, or Forsaken for Destiny 2.

Makes me wonder what could have been done had COVID-19 not impacted the world, and if they would have been able to salvage it. The concept of Anthem intrigues me, so maybe years from now they'll make a sequel, but sounds like the franchise might just be dead now. 

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Yeah I'll be skipping whatever they put out next. No reason to expect anything decent or for them to follow up and fix mistakes, setting the precedent that multiple layers of disappointment are acceptable to them. It is not to me. 

guys let’s remember this post when xbob is hate playing whatever bioware game is next 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Beta was so bad I couldn't see this game ever being good. I mean, this is prolly more of a personal taste thing, but the game play just wasn't fun. 

This is basically the extent of what I played and it was just boring. I remember feeling like "This is Anthem? :sick:

19 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I've seen too many games turn things around after a botched launch, was kind of hoping Anthem would be another of those.  Bioware needed a win.

Still, I never played Anthem for the same reason I never played Avengers.  I don't care about loot heavy multiplayer grinds.  There's not as much appeal for the action-loot genre as publishers believed.

And that's the worst part.  I loved what I first saw of the game.

The difference with Anthem and Avengers is that Avengers can be played ENTIRELY solo and the single player campaign is actually pretty good on its own. I recommend anyone curious about this game to at least try it when its cheap or free on or something. Its definitely worth playing.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The difference with Anthem and Avengers is that Avengers can be played ENTIRELY solo and the single player campaign is actually pretty good on its own. I recommend anyone curious about this game to at least try it when its cheap or free on or something. Its definitely worth playing.

Interesting, I don’t think I read this specifically before, maybe I will try it out on a deep sale then!

3 hours ago, stepee said:

Interesting, I don’t think I read this specifically before, maybe I will try it out on a deep sale then!

I have hundreds of hours in the game and have done maxed out every character except for two and I've only played a handful of matches with actual people. You can pretty much play the game as a single player, party based RPG.

I mean, unless DA4 and ME4 are really fuckin good, I doubt I get them.

Spoiler

warped.gif

I just don't like DA3. I prefer DA2 over DA3. I hate most of the companions and a lot of other crap they put into the game. The worst part by far is having the massive pointless open areas with nothing in them but a dragon and after 5 dragons every dragon fight felt the same. The massive pointless open areas just killed side quests. They had less personality and flavor than a WoW quest. Like, if BioWare doesn't Origins up DA4 then I ain't gonna get it. Oh, another mistake BioWare made, IMO, with DA3 was having old cast members come back. DA4 should stay away from the previous games as much as possible. Of course Solas or whatever will be in it, but that should be about it. The inquisitor should just die on the way back to their home planet or something. The only exception is The Grey Warden who should not be voiced or have a face unless the PC is the Grey Warden again, which would be great. Still no voice tho. 

Mass Effect 3 was fine for most parts. I really hate the dream shit, but there shouldn't be any reason the gameplay is bad. Oh, and of course fuck the endings. The issue is how the story is continued. There are many ways to continue where ME3 left off, but I have no interest in most of them. There is like only one or two ways I would be willing to get back into that world. Andromeda was actually one of the better ways to continue making ME games, but for me, they killed any desire to play it with their very BioWare'd characters. The Ryder twins looked like shit. And yeah, I know you can change the way they look, but custom characters look like ass in ME and it feels like changing the Names of characters in a Final Fantasy game. Like, yeah, you can change Cloud's name to Assface but doesn't make him not Cloud. 

3 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

After Bioware's track record here, I would urge everyone to at least NOT preorder any of their upcoming games. 

As long as they make Mass Effect games, im probably going to buy them. 

Im already stoked for Legendary Edition.

They just need to stop trying to make multiplayer games, and have the budget to keep their games in tact (which is the reported reason for Andromeda's problems, such as lack of aliens and cut storylines based on the players family.