Without saying your age...

That's tough.  Thinking on it I believe it was Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race and Rogue Squadron II.

Family didn't have money growing up.  As a kid all my video games came by way of yard sales and such.  As an adult it was a bit into my career before I started making real disposable income, so most of my games were acquired used from Gamestop or via trade.  The Gamecube was the first console I purchased at launch and those were the first games I remember getting with it.   Prior to that everything I bought was used or had been out long enough to make its way to the bargain bin.

Pretty sure it was Super Mario Bros. 3.

That was back in the day when games didn't have much of a "launch day" it was basically the stores having a day they knew the game was shipping out, but when they got it was when they got it. I remember calling the local K-Mart, having to ask for the electronics section, getting transferred, asking if they had the game, then waiting for the cashier to go check the shelf to see if it was there.

Man, a new game bought on the day it came out? I have no idea... It had to be an NES game... I know I lined up for Mario 3 on launch day... but I don't know if I bought anything else before that. I got plenty of games around launch time, but probably not on day one and not always with my own money.

31 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

The first game that I bought with my own money was Space Invaders for Atari 2600. The first game that I bought on the day that it came out was Super Mario Bros. 2 for NES.

I bought Mario 2 on release day too. 1988.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

With my OWN money? something from the SNES/Genesis era I'm sure. I do remember overpaying for Streetfighter 2 at Electronics Boutique for the SNES. Pretty sure I paid close to $100 for that when it came out.

My mom paid $96 for Star Wars Shadow of the Empire at release.  😆 

I bought many games within a few days or weeks of their release for the Gameboy Color, but the first game I can be absolutely certain that I bought on the first day was Grand Theft Auto III for PC. The t-shirt I got for preordering was one of my favorites for a long time. :daydream:

• Hype 1

18 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I bought many games within a few days or weeks of their release for the Gameboy Color, but the first game I can be absolutely certain that I bought on the first day was Grand Theft Auto III for PC. The t-shirt I got for preordering was one of my favorites for a long time. :daydream:

Better than the Half-Life 2 t-shirt in the HL2 Special Edition?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Growing up in a suburb I didn't have the ability to get to a store very easily, so the first time I'm certain I bought a game with my own money on launch day was 9-9-99, for the Dreamcast launch.

That was the first launch system I ever bought, followed by the PS2. I don't remember my first launch game, so it was most likely a PlayStation game like GTA 2 or something. I might have bought a Sega Genesis launch game, but I mostly bought used games back then.

Fuck If I remember. I can't even remember the last game I bought a physical edition for. But I'm old enough to be playing since the NES and the first games I can remember "buying" were games I'd trade in used games for to get some other used games.