TIME's person of the year is...

Hell, her Eras tour even had a measurable impact on the US economy:

NEWS.NORTHEASTERN.EDU

The Eras tour is smashing all sorts of records. But the tour could also generate up to $4.6 billion in consumer spending.

WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

A survey found that concertgoers spent an average of $1,300 per show on expenses like tickets, outfits, travel and food.

• Shocked 4

16 minutes ago, Reputator said:

God her music is so mediocre.

11 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yup, I have nothing against her or her fans being fans, but I just don't understand the appeal. The real measure will be if people still comment on her in 40 years.

I actually give her quite a bit of credit for not sounding like her songs were written in a board room. But they do sound like songs written by somebody who never had to wonder where the money for rent was coming from. Never loved somebody where it wasn’t reciprocated. Never thinks about big issues and how they affect the individual. I think lots, most even, of great art is born of struggle and honestly her music sounds like it was written by an affluent white girl who never struggled a day in her life. Maybe she has had those experiences I don’t know. But I don’t hear it in her songs that I’ve heard. 

But also, not everything needs to be great art.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

Lol yea, Taylor has not had any life struggles that are even worth mentioning. She was born 45 minutes away from me, moved to Nashville, and immediately became a global superstar at 18. But, not all music needs to come from that area @GeneticBlueprintpointed out. I just think most of her music is really catchy and fun. Nothing to write home about obviously. She seems like a decent person, too. 

• True 1
  • Halal 2

55 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm gonna straight-up say that if given a choice between listening to a song by Taylor Swift and a song by The Beatles that Taylor wins by a landslide.

Each and every time.

I don't listen to her but I'd be surprised to find a song of hers that I like more than Something.

17 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Lol yea, Taylor has not had any life struggles that are even worth mentioning. She was born 45 minutes away from me, moved to Nashville, and immediately became a global superstar at 18. But, not all music needs to come that area @GeneticBlueprint pointed out. I just think most of her music is really catchy and fun. Nothing to write home about obviously. Sge seems like a decent person, too. 

Wasn't her dad like a bank exec or something too?

• True 1

It is seriously the only correct choice, no matter if you like her music or not. No single person dominated the news cycle as much. And she seems to be generally pretty positive and a good influence on young people. I only know one of her songs off the top of my head (the hate hate hate one) but not everything is for me and I like this pick.

Edit: She also got a lot of young people to register to vote which is probably more good than most people did last year 

• Thanks 1
  • True 3
  • Hype 2

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I actually give her quite a bit of credit for not sounding like her songs were written in a board room. But they do sound like songs written by somebody who never had to wonder where the money for rent was coming from. Never loved somebody where it wasn’t reciprocated. Never thinks about big issues and how they affect the individual. I think lots, most even, of great art is born of struggle and honestly her music sounds like it was written by an affluent white girl who never struggled a day in her life. Maybe she has had those experiences I don’t know. But I don’t hear it in her songs that I’ve heard. 

But also, not everything needs to be great art.

I like when she really leans into the fact that’s she’s not relatable, like when she wrote a song about the socialite who used to own her mansion in Rhode Island

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I mean if you think about at all, it makes sense. If that shit storm leads to ticket master being torn apart she’ll be my nomination for person of the generation. 

At the very least she is somewhat related to Biden's efforts to eliminate or disclose junk fees upfront since Ticketmaster and their ilk have been at the forefront of that garbage.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 11:37 AM, stepee said:

It is seriously the only correct choice, no matter if you like her music or not. No single person dominated the news cycle as much. 

Based on this, you can’t support AW2 for GOTY. Ain’t nobody talked about that game like they did with BG3

Facts GIF by Judge Jerry

• Shocked 1
  • True 2