OpenAI Debacle - Update (03/01): Elmo sues OpenAI for...uhhhh..."reasons"

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update (11/18): OpenAI board has agreed "in principle" to resign to allow Altman/Brockman to return

Well, when I was guessing what a sufficient reason to fire Altman was, I was thinking this board was acting rationally. It’s increasingly looking like they’re just clowns who are about to be tossed themselves. 

I think the more exciting possibility is that basically everyone at Open AI resigns to join Altman’s new company, Open AI continues on in some form, probably dominated by the non-profit research side, and Altman’s new company spins up a new LLM. 

Good thing that management is being exposaed for being little more than surveillance and data entry. Too bad it's going to be replaced with something that does all that better without the concept of meals or rest. Time to enjoy even more micromanagement from something that cannot ever not see you.

• Halal 1

APPLE.NEWS

OpenAI stunned employees, investors and much of Silicon Valley on Friday by ousting Chief Executive Officer Sam Altman, who more than any other figure had emerged as the face of artificial...

Summary from era user:

• Altman clashed with the board on safety, speed of development, and the commercialization of the company
  • Altman was raising money behind the boards back, but in the companies name from Middle Eastern Sovereign Wealth and Soft Bank
  • Altman wanted funds to spin off a new company with focus on AI hardware and AI chips
  • These new investors and company did not share OpenAI's governance model

Definitely makes Altman look bad.

• Shocked 2

• Jason changed the title to Update (11/19): After a two-day boardroom power struggle, Twitch CEO Emmett Shear will take over as interim CEO of OpenAI.
51 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I don't even know what this company is supposed to do. Why is this important?

OpenAI is essentially a research organization that specializes in artificial intelligence.  An imperfect analogy would be that it's similar to Mozilla (the organization behind the Firefox browser).

It's the organization that's responsible for the development for products such as DALL-E and GPT.

50 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I don't even know what this company is supposed to do. Why is this important?

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

OpenAI is essentially a research organization that specializes in artificial intelligence.

The first company to truly crack artificial general intelligence will either become a trillion dollar company, or will add another trillion to their worth if they are already a big player, like Microsoft.  

Hah! Satya Natella has essentially cut out the middleman for MSFT's AI initiatives and appears poised to bring OpenAI's SMEs in-house.

WWW.WIRED.COM

More than 500 employees of OpenAI have signed a letter saying they may quit and join Sam Altman at Microsoft unless the startup's board resigns and reappoints the ousted CEO.

F_YcDpwXcAARPJ_?format=jpg&name=large

• Sicko 1

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

The first company to truly crack artificial general intelligence will either become a trillion dollar company, or will add another trillion to their worth if they are already a big player, like Microsoft.  

At this point in time, I don't see how anybody other than another big player can get hold of enough training data to model their AIs. META, Google, Microsoft, and Apple have undisturbed access to so much voice, text, and image data while everyone else in the web is trying to stop these AI firms from scraping/using their data.

Year old, but I don't see how it's gotten any better with Twitter and Reddit restricting API access in the last year.

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They should have appointed @legend to be CEO

Honestly, I would hate being CEO of anything and would probably do a bad job at it. As it is, I feel like I do too much people and organizational management and I only directly manage 8 people. (And they're good people too!)

43 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

At this point in time, I don't see how anybody other than another big player can get hold of enough training data to model their AIs. META, Google, Microsoft, and Apple have undisturbed access to so much voice, text, and image data while everyone else in the web is trying to stop these AI firms from scraping/using their data.

Year old, but I don't see how it's gotten any better with Twitter and Reddit restricting API access in the last year.

And an AI built on reddit data vs Quora is going to be...disturbingly different.

• Sicko Sherman 1

8 minutes ago, legend said:

Honestly, I would hate being CEO of anything and would probably do a bad job at it. As it is, I feel like I do too much people and organizational management and I only directly manage 8 people. (And they're good people too!)

You couldn't be any worse than the CEOs that are out there already. :p

• Haha 1
  • True 1