OpenAI Debacle - Update (03/01): Elmo sues OpenAI for...uhhhh..."reasons"

This is a very sudden turn of events.

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Mira Murati will be the interim CEO.

Sam Altman has been fired as CEO of OpenAI, the company announced on Friday.

“Mr. Altman’s departure follows a deliberative review process by the board, which concluded that he was not consistently candid in his communications with the board, hindering its ability to exercise its responsibilities,” the company said in its blog post. “The board no longer has confidence in his ability to continue leading OpenAI.”

Chief technology officer Mira Murati will be the interim CEO. The company will be conducting a search for the permanent CEO successor. When contacted by The Verge, OpenAI’s communications department declined to comment beyond the blog post.

• Sicko 1

Ben Collins posted this earlier today:

zx9iFTW.png

That post on October 2 was about a text someone sent Musk ten days prior to acquiring Twitter; it was some antisemitic/right-wing shit that basically laid out what Musk should do once he acquires Twitter (like blame the ADL for its financial situation). Even though the text was made public due to his lawsuit with Twitter, the number it came from remained redacted. Musk went on to do more or less everything the article laid out.

I'm guessing we now know who sent him that text!

11 minutes ago, Chris- said:

zx9iFTW.png

That post on October 2 was about a text someone sent Musk ten days prior to acquiring Twitter; it was some antisemitic/right-wing shit that basically laid out what Musk should do once he acquires Twitter (like blame the ADL for its financial situation). Even though the text was made public due to his lawsuit with Twitter, the number it came from remained redacted. Musk went on to do more or less everything the article laid out.

Guess he's referring to this article.

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

A year after the world's richest man acquired the social media platform, a game plan published by a fired Trump White House staffer provides a clue.

19 minutes ago, Chris- said:

zx9iFTW.png

6 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Guess he's referring to this article.

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

A year after the world's richest man acquired the social media platform, a game plan published by a fired Trump White House staffer provides a clue.

I think you guys are in the wrong thread? 

This is the most surprised I've ever been at a CEO getting fired. Sam Altman was at the top of the world and then he's just fired completely out of the blue? They just announced they're bringing in $1.3B a year, and between a lucrative deal with MS and launching one of the fasted adopted products of all time, I suspect that revenue is real. This also isn't a Theranos situation where the product doesn't exist. It's the most talked about product of the year, it works well, and as far as anyone can tell they're still the leading company in the most transformative sector in tech. So they've got money, they've got an excellent product, and a bright future, at least from all appearances.

Whatever Altman did, it must have been pretty bad. I haven't even seen any reasonable speculation on what went down, but I'm super curious to find out.

Personal issues are always a possibility, but speculating that Sam Altman eats people or something isn't much fun.

My first guesses are that either the company's structure as a “capped-profit” company was ill conceived or poorly implemented, or the deals with Microsoft are much worse for Open AI than we're aware. If MS somehow owns more of their tech than we thought, if it prevents Open AI from profiting somehow, or if it just ties their hands too much, that might justify a firing. It would be kind of hilarious to me if somehow the novel capped-profit setup prevented investors or the board from making as much money as they thought.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Sam Altman fired as CEO of OpenAI, co-founder Greg Brockman has resigned

According to Kara Swisher, it really does genuinely appear to be nothing more than a strategic disagreement about the overall pace of development/revenue generation vs risk mitigation:

There are about to be a lot more major departures of top folks at @OpenAI tonight and I assume Altman will make a statement tonight. But, as I understand it, it was a “misalignment” of the profit versus nonprofit adherents at the company. The developer day was an issue.

Sources tell me that the profit direction of the company under Altman and the speed of development, which could be seen as too risky, and the nonprofit side dedicated to more safety and caution were at odds. One person on the Sam side called it a “coup,” while another said it was the the right move.

A supposed OpenAI engineer posted this on Reddit:

zvQXfH9.jpg

I would be shocked if the problem ends up being that the board thought that Sam was moving too fast and not being sufficiently "safe" with the technology. I completely believe that the LLM engineers at Google/Open AI/etc/. didn't think the tech was ready for mass consumption, but the market and public opinion has ended up siding with Open AI to an enormous extent. We know that Google, Meta, and plenty of others had LLMs ready to go, but we're not sure when and how they should be used. By releasing Chat GPT when they did, Open AI changed the game and established themselves as the leader in the most important tech race of our time.

If the board knows something about the "safety" of this technology that justifies firing the CEO but doesn't justify notifying the public, that's not great.

WWW.THEINFORMATION.COM

Three senior researchers at OpenAI resigned Friday night as the artificial intelligence developer suffered fallout from the firing of CEO Sam Altman and sudden resignation of President Greg Brockman...

Jakub Pachocki, director of research, Aleksander Madry, head of the AI risk team, and Szymon Sidor have all resigned from Open AI.

• Shocked 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

reading what many people are willing to write openly on twitter about the situation these people all do hate each other lol

openai could have been a trillion dollar company with the head star they got by shooting chatgpt and subsequent updates out like a firehose and now they are risking tons of enterprise value for not much in the way of good reasoning 

• True 1

10 minutes ago, UpvoteShittyTakesOnly said:

reading what many people are willing to write openly on twitter about the situation these people all do hate each other lol

openai could have been a trillion dollar company with the head star they got by shooting chatgpt and subsequent updates out like a firehose and now they are risking tons of enterprise value for not much in the way of good reasoning 

Geocities will buy the rotting corpse of OpenAI for $33.27 next year.

• Sicko 2
  • Sicko Sherman 1

59 minutes ago, UpvoteShittyTakesOnly said:

That's kind of the rub, though, isn't it? Open AI was supposed to be a non-profit. The switch to a capped for-profit company was obviously BS and they wanted money, but it left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouth. Them being "non-profit" is regularly made fun of and they earned a lot of bad will from the AI community for the shadiness of it all. The "board" doesn't want to be a for-profit company so pointing out that they could have been a trillion-dollar monolith isn't going to persuade them.

Now is that reason for this? I have no idea. I'd honestly be impressed if it came down to the non-profit side trying to stop this, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, legend said:

That's kind of the rub, though, isn't it? Open AI was supposed to be a non-profit.

importantly not-for-profit doesnt mean dont try to maximize revenue

it is a tax structure that disallows distribution of profit to the owners of the organization and instead requires excess revenues to be pushed back in to the mission of the org

the capped profit thing was a bit silly as it is trying to have your cake and eat it situation and was rightly lambasted

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, UpvoteShittyTakesOnly said:

importantly not-for-profit doesnt mean dont try to maximize revenue

it is a tax structure that disallows distribution of profit to the owners of the organization and instead requires excess revenues to be pushed back in to the mission of the org

the capped profit thing was a bit silly as it is trying to have your cake and eat it situation and was rightly lambasted

Sure, but the point is being a trillion dollar company is supposed to be a non goal and to get there you would likely be in conflict with the supposed goals :p

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update (11/18): OpenAI board in discussions with Sam Altman to be un-fired as CEO
3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Well...

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Altman is “ambivalent” and wants governance changes.

Ya beat me to posting that by about a minute! :p

I'd say those phone calls from Redmond, Washington must've been pretty intense for this sudden reversal from the board!

• True 1

From Bloomberg's Emily Chang:

- active convos happening to reinstate Altman including w/ Microsoft and Satya Nadella

- Sam has Satya’s support/confidence whatever he does next
- in one scenario the board could resign
- this is a fast-moving complex negotiation
- Sam is open to returning as long as he has the power to execute

• Sicko Sherman 1