Dark Phoenix trailer

In DARK PHOENIX, the X-MEN face their most formidable and powerful foe: one of their own, Jean Grey. During a rescue mission in space, Jean is nearly killed when she is hit by a mysterious cosmic force. Once she returns home, this force not only makes her infinitely more powerful, but far more unstable. Wrestling with this entity inside her, Jean unleashes her powers in ways she can neither comprehend nor contain. With Jean spiraling out of control, and hurting the ones she loves most, she begins to unravel the very fabric that holds the X-Men together. Now, with this family falling apart, they must find a way to unite -- not only to save Jean's soul, but to save our very planet from aliens who wish to weaponize this force and rule the galaxy.

Uh, I didn't even realize they were still making this movie.  Apocalypse was so forgettable I have no idea what's even going on with these characters.  But, why are they taking such heavy inspiration from fan-hated X3: Last Stand?  They're using the exact same story beats with Jean in both of these movies.

• Guillotine 1

I'm looking forward to see it but the trailer is making me happy that the X-Men are back home cause it looks like the story is getting the Fox treatment again. I've honestly enjoyed the Fox X films despite their issues but this trailer while visually looking nice, I can tell the story is being butchered again.

6 hours ago, Dragonseeker said:

Trailer is ok. Much better than Apocolypse. I am looking forward to this because this is probably the last time I get to see a serious X-Men film before Disney makes everyone crack jokes with Tony Stark. 

Fox is the last bastion for good dramatic superhero films. 

This is a joke right? No one really thinks fox has done a better job in the last decade than Disney... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, number305 said:

This is a joke right? No one really thinks fox has done a better job in the last decade than Disney... 

I’ve enjoyed Foxes movies, as a whole, and found them more memorable than Disney’s. 

Also thay trailer looks way better better than Apocalypse and X3 so I’m down. Been waiting a long time, since the damn cartoon, to see a good version of this story told on a screen. Hopefully this is it. 

57 minutes ago, number305 said:

Better as in building a cohesive world? No. Better as in making compelling dramas and expanding beyond your typical formulaic superhero stories? Yes. Fox is just inconsistent with quality, but when they are on, they are damn good.  

Logan, Days of the Future Past, X-Men: First Class are the exact type of movies I am looking for. 

• Guillotine 1

I am extremely skeptical that writer/director Simon Kinberg can pull this off and have his mea culpa for having co-written this same story arc (and failed miserably and has publicly said he wants to fix it) for X-Men: The Last Stand. 

He's also had a hand in writing some truly terrible films like This Means War, xXx: State of the Union, Jumper, Fantastic Four (the recent one), and X-Men: Apocalypse. I hope he pulls this off, I do, but I am skeptical. 

I am a huge fan of X-Men: First Class, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Logan, and Deadpool 1 + 2 (so Fox has been doing pretty great on the X-Men front lately) but X-Men: Apocalypse was truly pretty bad except for the requisite Quicksilver sequence, which was still awesome. I'm looking forward to Josh Boone's The New Mutants more. 

I did not think much of that trailer and I have little hope that this will be any good. I'm going to predict this is more on par with Apocalypse than Days of Future Past.

Fox has been very good at casting these films, it's a shame they've got a maybe 50% batting average at making good ones.

2 hours ago, 2user1cup said:

It's not just that X3 sucked, it's that anything regarding Jean Grey and Phoenix sucks. Good, blow it out of your system so Marvel won't make more stupid Jean Grey stories.

Phoenix could work under a few conditions:

• Jean Grey has a great actor who we are invested in from previous movies
  • The cosmic side of X-Men has already been introduced 
  • Bonus: Phoenix Force has already been referenced

None of these conditions are met in the current series (or the previous). 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Very disappointed with you for calling him out on this. Anyone who writes this scene into a movie is a genius!

Definitely the definition of "leave your brain at the door" popcorn movie. I haven't watched this since I saw it opening weekend, lol.

47 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

X3 timeline/world doesn't exist anymore after Days of Future Past.

I mean they wiped that future, but this Jean Gray is the same Jean Gray as X3, just younger, at an earlier point in her life. So the Phoenix is still just Jean Gray dialed up to 11. So I understand why  Phoenix saga movie would still have that same plot point. 

It is still stupid though. I would rather they just not do this story again. It is still a turd.

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2018 at 6:51 AM, Dragonseeker said:

Better as in building a cohesive world? No. Better as in making compelling dramas and expanding beyond your typical formulaic superhero stories? Yes. Fox is just inconsistent with quality, but when they are on, they are damn good.  

Logan, Days of the Future Past, X-Men: First Class are the exact type of movies I am looking for. 

First class is boring as hell when Kevin Bacon isn’t on the screen. 

They have two legit good superhero movies after all these years. 

1 hour ago, johnny said:

First class is boring as hell when Kevin Bacon isn’t on the screen. 

They have two legit good superhero movies after all these years. 

X-Men: First Class is universally praised as a good film. 

X-men, X2, X-Men First Class, Days of the Future Past, Logan, Deadpool and Deadpool 2. 

That is 7 good movies.

If you are talking about great movies:

X2, X-Men: First Class, Days of the Future Past, Logan and Deadpool

That is 5 great movies. 

How many great movies have Marvel made again? The Winter Soldier, Infinity War, Civil War? Maybe you add Black Panther and Iron Man? So like 6-7 movies? I think the only difference is that Marvel movies are consistently good while Fox movies are not. But Fox's top tier easily equals Marvel's top tier. 

• Guillotine 1

12 hours ago, Dragonseeker said:

X-Men: First Class is universally praised as a good film. 

X-men, X2, X-Men First Class, Days of the Future Past, Logan, Deadpool and Deadpool 2. 

That is 7 good movies.

If you are talking about great movies:

X2, X-Men: First Class, Days of the Future Past, Logan and Deadpool

That is 5 great movies. 

How many great movies have Marvel made again? The Winter Soldier, Infinity War, Civil War? Maybe you add Black Panther and Iron Man? So like 6-7 movies? I think the only difference is that Marvel movies are consistently good while Fox movies are not. But Fox's top tier easily equals Marvel's top tier. 

Marvel has 13 great movies not 6 or 7.

1.Guardians of the Galaxy vol 1

2.Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2

3.Thor: Ragnarok

4.Ant-Man

5.Ant-Man and the Wasp

6.Marvel's The Avengers

7.Avengers: Infinity War

8.Black Panther

9.Doctor Strange

10.Captain America: Winter Soldier

11.Captain America: Civil War

12.Iron Man

13. Spider-Man: Homecoming

6 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

4.Ant-Man

5.Ant-Man and the Wasp

6.Marvel's The Avengers

8.Black Panther

9.Doctor Strange

12.Iron Man

You have a very low standard of what great is.

14 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

4.Ant-Man

5.Ant-Man and the Wasp

6.Marvel's The Avengers

8.Black Panther

9.Doctor Strange

12.Iron Man

Lol seriously? That’s a pretty broad definition of “great”

• Guillotine 1

On 9/29/2018 at 11:14 AM, Remarkableriots said:

4.Ant-Man

5.Ant-Man and the Wasp

6.Marvel's The Avengers

8.Black Panther

9.Doctor Strange

12.Iron Man

Personally, I think I'd only classify Iron Man as "great" from that list. I'll add Winter Soldier because everyone loves that one even though I don't. And I'll add Infinity War simply because something something accomplishment. But that's only three, and only one of which I think I'll ever pop in to watch. 

On 9/29/2018 at 12:14 PM, Remarkableriots said:

4.Ant-Man

5.Ant-Man and the Wasp

6.Marvel's The Avengers

8.Black Panther

9.Doctor Strange

12.Iron Man

I think saying Marvel has 10 great movies is a big stretch but 13 is going way too far.