Dark Phoenix trailer

18 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I think this movie looks good. I've enjoyed the other three, even the maligned Apocalypse. I'm happy they're making at least this last one and hopefully it closes off the series well or will segue somehow into its new home at the MCU.

You enjoyed Apocalypse but don't find The Winter Soldier to be a great movie? Seems like some cognitive dissonance there. :p 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

You enjoyed Apocalypse but don't find The Winter Soldier to be a great movie? Seems like some cognitive dissonance there. :p 

The Winter Soldier seemed like a typical Marvel movie to me (up to the time of its release and a few thereafter): bland color pallettes and musical scores, forcing emotion and development that wasn't earned, heavy handed (re: annoying) universe building, etc. But I haven't seen it since release. Maybe I'd like it more upon a rewatch.

27 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

GB is a man of very specific tastes!

True... In all aspects of life. Lol.

Just now, GeneticBlueprint said:

The Winter Soldier seemed like a typical Marvel movie to me (up to the time of its release and a few thereafter): bland color pallettes and musical scores, forcing emotion and development that wasn't earned, heavy handed (re: annoying) universe building, etc. But I haven't seen it since release. Maybe I'd like it more upon a rewatch.

If you haven't seen it since it released you should definitely give it another go. I liked the movie a lot more on my second watch. It's a great thriller. 

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

If you haven't seen it since it released you should definitely give it another go. I liked the movie a lot more on my second watch. It's a great thriller. 

I’m still waiting for the director’s cut that’s just 140 minutes of Cap mercing pirates on a ship.

”Shield doesn’t negotiate.”

ROLL CREDITS

7 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I probably will if it's ever streaming free somewhere. But I think another reason I enjoy Apocalypse, despite its predictable and boring third act (my main complaint) and other weaknesses, is because it has characters I love. And Olivia Munn running around half naked the whole time certainly doesn't hurt. Whereas in addition to my other complaints, I don't love any characters in Captain America.

And I think my liking of Apocalypse might be overstated by some. I think I rated it like a 5 or 6 out of 10. It's not like I'm balls out for it or anything. That's "average" to me. Which is probably what I gave Captain America too now that I think about it. I didn't hate it; it just didn't do anything exceptionally well IMO.

• Thanks 1

On 9/29/2018 at 12:14 PM, Remarkableriots said:

Marvel has 13 great movies not 6 or 7.

1.Guardians of the Galaxy vol 1

2.Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2

3.Thor: Ragnarok

4.Ant-Man

5.Ant-Man and the Wasp

6.Marvel's The Avengers

7.Avengers: Infinity War

8.Black Panther

9.Doctor Strange

10.Captain America: Winter Soldier

11.Captain America: Civil War

12.Iron Man

13. Spider-Man: Homecoming

I'd remove Doctor Strange, both Ant-Mans, and the second Guardians movie from that list. They're not great, but they are good.

4 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

DoFP?

DoFP is fine. The opening sequence is probably the best action we've seen in an X-Men movie and the Quicksilver run is fun. Still, it's a film that substitutes a time travel puzzle box for character drama or development. It's pieces are probably the strongest in the X-men films, but it doesn't put them together into a satisfying whole.

1 hour ago, legend said:

You know, these days your health insurance stands a good chance of paying for psychiatric help.

At least I can admit my opinion is the minority and shouldn't be treated like gospel. I think that's the true mark of a rational mind that totally does not need psychiatric help.

For any reason.

At all.

Seriously

(Help)

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, TwinIon said:

DoFP is fine. The opening sequence is probably the best action we've seen in an X-Men movie and the Quicksilver run is fun. Still, it's a film that substitutes a time travel puzzle box for character drama or development. It's pieces are probably the strongest in the X-men films, but it doesn't put them together into a satisfying whole.

The biggest “problem” with DoFP is that Raven’s character is the fulcrum that the fate of mutants is resting on... and then she’s completely gone from the coda in the theatrical cut. That and literally everything Trask does is just straight up super dumb for an allegedly intelligent person. It is a series of really compelling scenes but it’s stitched together to a somewhat uneven movie even if it’s entertaining throughout. It’s a blast to rewatch but I agree and don’t think it’s a great movie.

14 hours ago, Dragonseeker said:

The Winter Soldier, however derivative, is far superior to X-Men: Apocolypse. Singer tried to go all Marvel formula with Apocolypse and failed miserably. 

Uh I don’t think Singer tried to go “Marvel formula” with Apocalypse... at all.

The problem with Apocalypse is that every character is doing literally the stupidest thing they could do at every possible moment. Somehow four mutants are the tiniest nudge away from remaking the world in Apocalype’s image while also being 15 seconds worth of contemplation away from betraying him. Magneto’s character in that film is fucking terrible as is Charles’ reaction to it. “Some blue asshole reminded you that the earth was filled with magnetic elements and that’s all the motivation you needed to be loyal enough to him to literally rip the world apart? Well that’s over, are you sure you don’t want to be a grammar or high school teacher? No? Well okay... goodbye I guess, old friend, aka guy who was trying to make the world into an Art Deco shitshow literally 24 hours ago and probably killed thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people while doing that.”

Jean is written like a moron. Literally the same people who realized Havok needed to be trained in a concrete bunker for safety decided Scott should be trained outside. Apocalypse’s abilities make no fucking sense at all. Magneto’s brilliant idea to fight Apocalypse is killing him with chipping damage, except Apocalypse doesn’t take chipping damage. It doesn’t pick up from the end of DoFP properly. The movie is a total train wreck aside from one cool Quicksilver scene. It is bad, bad, bad.

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

The biggest “problem” with DoFP is that Raven’s character is the fulcrum that the fate of mutants is resting on... and then she’s completely gone from the coda in the theatrical cut. That and literally everything Trask does is just straight up super dumb for an allegedly intelligent person. It is a series of really compelling scenes but it’s stitched together to a somewhat uneven movie even if it’s entertaining throughout. It’s a blast to rewatch but I agree and don’t think it’s a great movie.

The problem with Apocalypse is that every character is doing literally the stupidest thing they could do at every possible moment. Somehow four mutants are the tiniest nudge away from remaking the world in Apocalype’s image while also being 15 seconds worth of contemplation away from betraying him. Magneto’s character in that film is fucking terrible as is Charles’ reaction to it. “Some blue asshole reminded you that the earth was filled with magnetic elements and that’s all the motivation you needed to be loyal enough to him to literally rip the world apart? Well that’s over, are you sure you don’t want to be a grammar or high school teacher? No? Well okay... goodbye I guess, old friend, aka guy who was trying to make the world into an Art Deco shitshow literally 24 hours ago and probably killed thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people while doing that.”

Jean is written like a moron. Literally the same people who realized Havok needed to be trained in a concrete bunker for safety decided Scott should be trained outside. Apocalypse’s abilities make no fucking sense at all. Magneto’s brilliant idea to fight Apocalypse is killing him with chipping damage, except Apocalypse doesn’t take chipping damage. It doesn’t pick up from the end of DoFP properly. The movie is a total train wreck aside from one cool Quicksilver scene. It is bad, bad, bad.

I agree with all this, especially the bolded. I know time passes between them, but there was no explanation for why Mystique, disguised as Stryker, took Logan at the end of DoFP, what she did with him, and how he still ended up at Alkali Lake with the real Stryker to undergo the Weapon X project. 

I know the X-films aren't known for their concern with continuity, but that one kinda bugged me and I'm usually pretty chill about stuff like that. 

7 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Jean is written like a moron. Literally the same people who realized Havok needed to be trained in a concrete bunker for safety decided Scott should be trained outside. Apocalypse’s abilities make no fucking sense at all. Magneto’s brilliant idea to fight Apocalypse is killing him with chipping damage, except Apocalypse doesn’t take chipping damage. It doesn’t pick up from the end of DoFP properly. The movie is a total train wreck aside from one cool Quicksilver scene. It is bad, bad, bad.

Marvel Formula as in making a very straight forward movie with clear progression, ideals, themes, etc. It was the only X-Men film that tried to be a straight up superhero film since X1-X3. 

59 minutes ago, Dragonseeker said:

Marvel Formula as in making a very straight forward movie with clear progression, ideals, themes, etc. It was the only X-Men film that tried to be a straight up superhero film since X1-X3. 

I... don't think I agree with any of that.

• Thanks 1

On 9/29/2018 at 9:14 AM, Remarkableriots said:

Marvel has 13 great movies not 6 or 7.

1.Guardians of the Galaxy vol 1

2.Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2

3.Thor: Ragnarok

4.Ant-Man

5.Ant-Man and the Wasp

6.Marvel's The Avengers

7.Avengers: Infinity War

8.Black Panther

9.Doctor Strange

10.Captain America: Winter Soldier

11.Captain America: Civil War

12.Iron Man

13. Spider-Man: Homecoming

14 if you count First Avenger.

And Apocalypse was a fucking train wreck of a movie... barely above the level of a sci fi channel flick

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TheRealSmallville said:

I agree with all this, especially the bolded. I know time passes between them, but there was no explanation for why Mystique, disguised as Stryker, took Logan at the end of DoFP, what she did with him, and how he still ended up at Alkali Lake with the real Stryker to undergo the Weapon X project. 

I know the X-films aren't known for their concern with continuity, but that one kinda bugged me and I'm usually pretty chill about stuff like that. 

I agree and I don't care about most X-Men film universe continuity but this was pretty bad - it bothered me as well. 

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’m still not over how fucking dumb everyone was in Apocalypse. I’ve little hope that this is going to be good.

Aside from everyone being dumb, they had no idea what power levels looked like during Apocalypse. There is no way they'll be able to handle even the idea of the Phoenix Force. Oh, and we'll get robots in this too...maybe...Mr Sinister? Did they just throw all of that out after Logan? This reboot X-Men franchise is a mess.

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Aside from everyone being dumb, they had no idea what power levels looked like during Apocalypse. There is no way they'll be able to handle even the idea of the Phoenix Force. Oh, and we'll get robots in this too...maybe...Mr Sinister? Did they just throw all of that out after Logan? This reboot X-Men franchise is a mess.

All of this.

And you know, you just fucking KNOW there's going to be a goddamned beam fight between Jean and Scott because this franchise is borderline creatively bankrupt when it comes to action scenes. There have been like... 5 good ones across all of the movies, and some of them have been copied multiple times.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

All of this.

And you know, you just fucking KNOW there's going to be a goddamned beam fight between Jean and Scott because this franchise is borderline creatively bankrupt when it comes to action scenes. There have been like... 5 good ones across all of the movies, and some of them have been copied multiple times.

Well, Simon Kinberg has already done this story once and he wants a second shot at it, so expect all your favorite scenes from Last Stand to be back. Then again, he was expecting this movie to reboot the franchise...again? That was all thrown out after the Disney acquisition, so who knows where this movie is going to go now. Someone remind me why Fox though the guy that wrote Last Stand should be the guy put in charge of the X-Men reboot and then given even more control the reboot it again.

32 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Well, Simon Kinberg has already done this story once and he wants a second shot at it, so expect all your favorite scenes from Last Stand to be back. Then again, he was expecting this movie to reboot the franchise...again? That was all thrown out after the Disney acquisition, so who knows where this movie is going to go now. Someone remind me why Fox though the guy that wrote Last Stand should be the guy put in charge of the X-Men reboot and then given even more control the reboot it again.

Maybe Dark Phoenix will destroy the franchise for real. We can hope.