What TV do you game on? Are you happy with it?

Nokra

I think I'm finally ready for a really nice TV and am looking for some recs. Currently I have a 50", low-end 4K Samsung from Costco (UN50TU700DFXZA) that I think I paid $300 for a couple years ago. As far as image quality it's been decent (though there's significant ghosting), but OLEDs at Best Buy, Costco, etc. have really been drawing my eye.

In particular, I've been debating the LG G3. I seem to recall reading @stepee saying at one point that he had last year's LG OLED, the G2. Any opinions on it, stepee? Still happy with it? What made you go for it over the C2, for example?

How about everyone else? What do you game on, watch movies on, etc.? Do you wish you went nicer? Cheaper? 

Our primary TV in the game room is this:

Basic-450.jpg
WWW.LG.COM

Discover OLED at the Top of Its Game with an LG 65" OLED TV (OLED65C1PUB). Watch Your Content Come to Life with the Best OLED Display and Features.

We have the 65" and bought it for $1800 at the end of 2021. Been really happy with it.

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I think I'm finally ready for a really nice TV and am looking for some recs. Currently I have a 50", low-end 4K Samsung from Costco (UN50TU700DFXZA) that I think I paid $300 for a couple years ago. As far as image quality it's been decent (though there's significant ghosting), but OLEDs at Best Buy, Costco, etc. have really been drawing my eye.

In particular, I've been debating the LG G3. I seem to recall reading @stepee saying at one point that he had last year's LG OLED, the G2. Any opinions on it, stepee? Still happy with it? What made you go for it over the C2, for example?

How about everyone else? What do you game on, watch movies on, etc.? Do you wish you went nicer? Cheaper? 

It’s freaking incredible and I love it so much

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Nokra said:

So to give more detail. The G2 is amazing and the G3 will be even brighter and it’ll probably be the best tv on market right now. I really strongly recommend oled in general for the contrast, lack of smudgy black areas in dark scenes, response time, and also LG oled tvs are gsync official and support all the hdmi 2.1 features very well with none of the issues my 2.1 2020 Vizio has. My Dad and my best friend who have very different  interests in usage also went LG oled for the first time recently and both are blown away by them. I don’t know anyone who has one and is unhappy with it.

As far as why I went with G2 instead of C2? The price I got was good and I was worried about brightness so I wanted to get the brighter one. I’m glad I got the one I did and would still make this choice in retrospect myself, but I also think the C2 realistically would be plenty bright enough for most situations and would be just about as good. Either way I would get either a G2 or a C2 or wait. Right now the G3 just came out so you are probably paying about the highest premium there will be for it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nokra said:

I’m on a 77” CX I got off of Woot 20-ish months ago for under $2k.

To answer your question regarding @stepee ‘s G2 (if I may, since I’m the one who convinced him to go with the G over the C or a QD-OLED :D ), the G2 is brighter than the C2: a bit brighter with HDR content, and notably brighter with SDR content. IIRC the G-series are also a little less reflective than the C-series (matters in a bright room) and also run cooler (which allows for the higher brightness). If you’re going for the new G3, it uses a new tech called “MLA” which essentially allows it to “target” portions of the screen for even higher brightness/contrast levels in HDR: by it being able to target only the pixels that need the higher brightness, it allows for those areas on the TV to get brighter than any other OLED on the market (this is due to higher brightness = higher heat when it’s the entire TV, but with it being targeted to “sections” of the TV, there’s not much more heat being generated and the new heatsink(s) and cooling systems mitigate it easily).

With the C3 vs the previous C2, there’s very little difference so if you don’t want to drop the extra for a G3 I’d highly recommend just buying an on sale C2 or G2 rather than paying full price for a C3. However, if the price for the G3 doesn’t make you cry, it’s the best OLED available by a good margin, and arguably worth the price.

• Halal 1

I have an LG 65” QNED90 MiniLED. 

mine has both Nvidia Gsync and AMD Freesync chips. Last I looked I think they stopped advertising the Gsync chip so I don’t know if it offers both VRR options. 

But yeah, I’m very happy with it. I wish it had at least 1 more 4K/120 HDMI port as I had to get a splitter when I got my PC. But otherwise it’s good. It even felt like a a big step up from the 60” B8 OLED I had before. But there are some times where I can tell an OLED would handle things just a bit better. But the local dimming is very good with almost no detectable blooming. Very low input lag too. 

I did get it because of my risk of burn in. My last OLED had irreversible image retention within 2 years, because of how much I play Destiny. So seeing that burnin was still very possible for my usage habits I decided for a more top of the line LED vs another OLED. Otherwise I’d have gotten a CX or more likely the C2. 

• Halal 1

15 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Our primary TV in the game room is this:

Basic-450.jpg
WWW.LG.COM

Discover OLED at the Top of Its Game with an LG 65" OLED TV (OLED65C1PUB). Watch Your Content Come to Life with the Best OLED Display and Features.

We have the 65" and bought it for $1800 at the end of 2021. Been really happy with it.

14 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

65" LG C9 OLED

Seems fine to me!

14 hours ago, Biggie said:

Exact same set but 55” cause I sit really close 

13 hours ago, Dodger said:

65’ LG C8 oled and love it. Going to have to upgrade to newer model in a couple years.

15 hours ago, stepee said:

[LG G2] It’s freaking incredible and I love it so much

12 hours ago, sblfilms said:

77” LG C2 OLED is my current primary gaming screen

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m on a 77” CX I got off of Woot 20-ish months ago for under $2k.

5 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Still on my C9 65", thinking about a G3. 

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

LG 65" Oled and I love it and miss it. Been playing on this crappy android TLC I bought at my Parent's house and it just isn't the same.

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I have an LG 65” QNED90 MiniLED. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

LG OLED 65". It's simply beautiful and can make even some ugly games look nice. 

I'm noticing a very strong pattern here. :lol: :p Alright, you all have convinced me to go for an LG OLED.

Now the question: C2, C3, G2, or splurge and get the G3? :thinking: It's kinda crazy how quickly these TVs drop in price (65" G2s are currently $2k at Best Buy, vs. $3k originally) so it's kind of unappealing to buy the latest and greatest if it's going to drop so quickly, but the G3 does seem like a major upgrade over previous models. YOLO? :thinking:

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I'm noticing a very strong pattern here. :lol: :p Alright, you all have convinced me to go for an LG OLED.

Now the question: C2, C3, G2, or splurge and get the G3? :thinking: It's kinda crazy how quickly these TVs drop in price (65" G2s are currently $2k at Best Buy, vs. $3k originally) so it's kind of unappealing to buy the latest and greatest if it's going to drop so quickly, but the G3 does seem like a major upgrade over previous models. YOLO? :thinking:

If you can wait like 3-4 months the newest (3-series) usually start having some sales in the fall. 

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

5 minutes ago, Nokra said:

My two cents is that Any LG OLED from the C9 on will make you very happy. 

• Halal 2

33 minutes ago, Nokra said:

weirdly enough it looks like my Tv got more expensive according to LG. I got it for like $1500 last year and their website has it at $2k and it’s no longer advertised to have Gsync. 

it really depends on you. Many people don’t mind getting last year’s Tv for a reduced price. They’re not looking for top end, just better. But if top end is creeping into your mind, but you want to wait for it to be cheaper, that is a never ending cycle. LG comes out with new OLEDs every year. At a certain point you just gotta jump in. So what do you want more. A less expensive Tv or the best tech? And then shop around and order it. 

• Halal 1