What TV do you game on? Are you happy with it?

Nokra

I'm doing the monitor thing currenty for both console and PC, mainly because it's the only display I own that supports HDMI 2.1 and all the modern display features for gaming.

Will keep this thread in mind as I am looking to upgrade my living room TV.

• Halal 1

I would say as far as timing that I agree you can get into a never ending cycle waiting for the right tv at the right time but I would just say get whatever tv you want whenever unless what you want is the current years model and it just came out. It just always makes sense to me to always buy current year 6 months or so in. It never will be a value that makes much sense.

• Halal 1

Thank you all very much for your input and suggestions!

I wish I could see all of these TVs side by side to see if I'd even notice the difference with the brightness. I'm actually moving to a new apartment this weekend and its main windows in the living room face south, so I could potentially have some issues with glare, so the brightest G3 could be helpful. 

Also, it seems that most of you went with the 65". According to articles like this one, that's ideal for sitting around 9 feet away from the screen; is that pretty much the reason you all went with that size, or was it more of a "seems like a nice happy medium" vs. the 50" or 77"?  If a 65" would be overkill for my living room size, I'm totally fine with saving money and getting a 55" for example; it'd still be bigger than my current 50". 

26 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I wish I could see all of these TVs side by side to see if I'd even notice the difference with the brightness. I'm actually moving to a new apartment this weekend and its main windows in the living room face south, so I could potentially have some issues with glare, so the brightest G3 could be helpful. 

Also, it seems that most of you went with the 65". According to articles like this one, that's ideal for sitting around 9 feet away from the screen; is that pretty much the reason you all went with that size, or was it more of a "seems like a nice happy medium" vs. the 50" or 77"?  If a 65" would be overkill for my living room size, I'm totally fine with saving money and getting a 55" for example; it'd still be bigger than my current 50". 

I stuck with 65” because I feel like in general that’s a good PPI for 4k, especially at my viewing distance which is around 9ft yeah. I wouldn’t mind myself a larger size at 9ft away though, but I want to make that jump with 8k as I don’t want to lose perceived clarity. 

• Halal 2

34 minutes ago, Nokra said:

FWIW there’s some decent comparisons on YouTube by Digital Trends and others. You obviously won’t really be able to “see” the difference but at least can watch them break down the differences and explain MLA.

From all I’ve read, MLA seems worth it and actually delivers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nokra said:

There is a lot of personal preference in this.  I like to have much of my peripheral vision filled in, so I prefer to sit closer than they suggest.  My wife doesn't.

As well, you also have to ask yourself, how big a TV fits in the space?

2 hours ago, Nokra said:

I figured 65” would be a good size. My last one was a 60 and I remember thinking I could go bigger. Then I said the same thing to my 65”. lol

I can say this, I do not sit 9 feet away from my Tv. Most of the time I am within 6 feet. For me that’s ideal, but I also only have to worry about myself. I’d probably move the seating back if I had company. 

technically my stand isn’t for a Tv of this size, and it does fit with a bit of room to spare, but if I did go bigger I’d need a bigger stand. It was a good balance of cost and what I was getting. 

11 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I think I'm going to go for the 65" G3 soon-ish. I'm hoping for some kind of discount for Independence Day, but it may be too early (TV just came out in March) so we'll see. :daydream:

Might hit a first sale to at least get a couple hundred off but either way that’s going to be one hell of a tv!

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Might hit a first sale to at least get a couple hundred off but either way that’s going to be one hell of a tv!

It's probably going to also require that I eventually upgrade my 3070 to a 4090, don't you think? :p 

1 minute ago, Nokra said:

It's probably going to also require that I eventually upgrade my 3070 to a 4090, don't you think? :p 

Depends if you can hold out a year and a half for 5000 series or not! It’s too bad 3000 series didn’t have dlss3, would have been much easier to wait to the next gen.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Depends if you can hold out a year and a half for 5000 series or not! It’s too bad 3000 series didn’t have dlss3, would have been much easier to wait to the next gen.

Yeah I was mostly just kidding; I haven't done any 4k gaming (my monitor, Samsung Odyssey G7 is a 2k display) and I've been happy so far. I'm just imagining how glorious the 4k@120Hz will look and wanting to take full advantage. :daydream:

But my wallet is going to cry enough just from the TV, most likely. :lol:

8 minutes ago, Nokra said:

The 65" and 77" LG G3s had a price cut at Best Buy! For example, the 65" is $300 off, so $2999, right now. :o  

@stepee HOLD ME BACK

Well you figure its only one tv and 2 - 1 = 1 so 2999 minus 1 would be 1999 so it’s about the same price it’ll be later this year anyway 

• True 1

39 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well you figure its only one tv and 2 - 1 = 1 so 2999 minus 1 would be 1999 so it’s about the same price it’ll be later this year anyway 

:lol:

It is seriously tempting to just go for it now though, especially with what you all are saying about waiting to upgrade your TV potentially being an everlasting game. For example, it looks like it took the G2 a year to get to $2200, and it started at $3200. So one year (March 2022 until June 2023) for $1000... Would I get $1000 worth of enjoyment out of the G3 in the next year before it's $1000 cheaper? That's only $1000/365 days = $2.74 per day. From everything I've read/seen about the TV and how much I expect to be blown away, I think I would, and that's not even the price of one avocado toast per day! :p 

Yes, I'm justifying it to myself hard. :daydream:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, stepee said:

Shit if you’re at the breaking it down to the day point just go for it :P

I guess I'm not really seeing any reason to wait, other than the general hesitation at dropping 3 grand on a TV. :lol:

• Haha 1

I have a Hisense from a year and a half ago. It's great. Basically the equivalent of a mid to high end range of a Samsung, but half the price. OLED was off the table because my main room is way too bright, and the TV would be practically useless during the day. It does 4k/120hz. Minimal input lag. Every HDR standard. I imagine I'll keep this one for a few years.

I finally got my G3 set up just yesterday (had to wait for my friend to be available to help get it mounted on the wall) and am loving it so far. The brightness, the colors, the clarity... man this thing is sweet. :daydream: I can't wait to try out all of its features, make some adjustments, etc. and get it just the way I want it. 

This plus my soundbar make for a truly wonderful movie experience. <3 

The only game I've tried on it so far has been Breath of the Wild, just as a quick demo. It looked nice, but it's not really highlighting the TV, of course. However, I may or may not have also bought a PS5 :blush:  (God of War: Ragnarok bundle) which should give the TV more of a challenge. 

• Hype 1

6 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I finally got my G3 set up just yesterday (had to wait for my friend to be available to help get it mounted on the wall) and am loving it so far. The brightness, the colors, the clarity... man this thing is sweet. :daydream: I can't wait to try out all of its features, make some adjustments, etc. and get it just the way I want it. 

The only game I've tried on it so far has been Breath of the Wild, just as a quick demo. It looked nice, but it's not really highlighting the TV, of course. However, I may or may not have also bought a PS5 :blush:  (God of War: Ragnarok bundle) which should give the TV more of a challenge. 

How’d mounting flush against the wall go? We had to abandon ship the first attempt and feel we got real lucky getting it on the brackets the second time lol 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

How’d mounting flush against the wall go? We had to abandon ship the first attempt and feel we got real lucky getting it on the brackets the second time lol 

Fortunately for me, the friend I had helping me has done a fair amount of construction, wood working, etc. and he was pretty handy with the install. We managed to get a nice flush install, using the included bracket, on the first try; we put four screws into studs and another four into drywall anchors. I almost certainly will not be getting my security deposit back for my apartment though. :lol: 

Anyway I'll post some pics later. Right now I'm still getting it fully set up (haven't set up the PS5 or done cable management) but I'm happy. :mdancing:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nokra said:

What was your previous TV? When you get or don’t get this speculative PS5, download the FF16 demo asap (HDR is incredible on it). But, yea, Switch games don’t have HDR and are a 1080p signal being internally upscaled by the TV, so they are definitely not a good showcase for your G3!

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

What was your previous TV? When you get or don’t get this speculative PS5, download the FF16 demo asap (HDR is incredible on it). But, yea, Switch games don’t have HDR and are a 1080p signal being internally upscaled by the TV, so they are definitely not a good showcase for your G3!

I had a relatively cheap (~$400 IIRC) 50" Samsung I picked up from Costco, the TU700D. It was OK but not great; the input lag was fine for gaming, but its pixel response time was pretty terrible so any fast-moving objects tended to produce blur. I moved it into my bedroom (also wall-mounted; fuck my deposit :]) and will continue to use it for TV in bed.

I did actually already buy the PS5 and I'll give the FFVI demo a try, thanks. I have to admit I've never actually played any Final Fantasy game :blush: so we'll see if it's my thing.

I'm also looking forward to Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart. It's been ages since I've played a R&C game (back in college in 2007 or so) but I used to love them, and I hear this is one of the best ones yet, besides being a great showcase for the PS5. 

18 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I had a relatively cheap (~$400 IIRC) 50" Samsung I picked up from Costco, the TU700D. It was OK but not great; the input lag was fine for gaming, but its pixel response time was pretty terrible so any fast-moving objects tended to produce blur. I moved it into my bedroom (also wall-mounted; fuck my deposit :]) and will continue to use it for TV in bed.

I did actually already buy the PS5 and I'll give the FFVI demo a try, thanks. I have to admit I've never actually played any Final Fantasy game :blush: so we'll see if it's my thing.

I'm also looking forward to Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart. It's been ages since I've played a R&C game (back in college in 2007 or so) but I used to love them, and I hear this is one of the best ones yet, besides being a great showcase for the PS5. 

Yea, even if you wind up hating FF16, the HDR from most of the lighting effects are some of the best I’ve seen in gaming, worth the free download for the demo at the very least! :p 

R&C Rift Apart looks great, make sure you enable VRR in the PS5 settings so you can use the 40fps mode, and also make sure that you have deep color enabled on your G3 inputs (HDR won’t work otherwise)

• Thanks 1