The Marvels - 11/10/2023 - first trailer

47 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

fun trailer.  im surprised they got Beastie Boys to sign off using their music.  havent they always kind of been notoriously stingy when it came to licensing their music?

Surprisingly not.

They let their stuff get used in Abrams Star Trek. It was basically a running gag that Kirk was a Beastie Boys fan.

9 minutes ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

Women and minorities? Oh God the internet is going to explode.  Looks like a fun movie. 

Ms. Marvel was one of the best things Marvel has done in years. Captain Marvel was a fun time even if it wasn't a world beater.

It's hard not to think anyone who didn't like either of them had... Ulterior motives for not liking them.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

I enjoyed Ms. Marvel, though it was ultimately a pretty slight series. Captain Marvel was fine. Not that good or great, but certainly not bad or poorly made at all. Curious to see how this turns out. I have faith it should be good given Nia DaCosta is co-writing and directing it, I thought she did great with both her previous films, Little Woods and Candyman (2021). 

It's interesting that DaCosta has three co-writers, one who wrote an episode of She-Hulk, one who wrote two episodes of WandaVision, and one who wrote an episode of Loki. So long as Marvel et. al. don't meddle too much into making the film too jokey (I assume the film will be light-hearted of course to an extent) and overstuffed and lets the movie breathe to some degree and be a real movie. It's why I enjoyed Eternals, Shang-Chi and Black Panther 2 a lot more than Doctor Strange 2 and Thor: Love and Thunder. I think the writing team makes me hopeful on a script level.

If it's 75% as fun as Ms. Marvel it'll be a gas, I'm in.

I don't actually care about the answer to this but... why do civilians know about Nick Fury? Kamala apparently does but I have no recall of how she would know who he is? I get that she's an Avengers superfan but isn't his whole thing that he's a spy?

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don't actually care about the answer to this but... why do civilians know about Nick Fury? Kamala apparently does but I have no recall of how she would know who he is? I get that she's an Avengers superfan but isn't his whole thing that he's a spy?

Didn't really think about that...

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I'm sure at this point he's gotta be a national hero given that he started the Avengers among other things. Wasn't most of the "secret spy" stuff exposed by the end of Captain America Winter Soldier? Most of Sheild's and Hydra's secrets were made public.

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm sure at this point he's gotta be a national hero given that he started the Avengers among other things. Wasn't most of the "secret spy" stuff exposed by the end of Captain America Winter Soldier? Most of Sheild's and Hydra's secrets were made public.

I guess that's true. But also he was declared dead? But then blipped?

Again not a big deal at all just curious if I was forgetting something obvious.

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I guess that's true. But also he was declared dead? But then blipped?

Again not a big deal at all just curious if I was forgetting something obvious.

He blipped so i guess he was declared dead along with everyone else that blipped? Would have made him being outed publicly even MORE likely. 

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He blipped so i guess he was declared dead along with everyone else that blipped? Would have made him being outed publicly even MORE likely. 

My memory of the MCU timeline is ass at this point, so I don't really even know when he stopped doing spy shit. Also Kamala seems like the kind of fan that would have found cell phone footage of Tony's funeral and Nick was there... so whatever. :p

This is a franchise where Thanos killed 50% of Asgard before blipping the universe, and New Asgard has an ice cream shop called Infinity Cones so you know... I'm here for it not making sense.

EDIT - actually it's Infinity Conez with a Z, which feels even worse somehow.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

@Remarkableriots - you're gonna be the only person in the theater when you go to see this one.

WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

The sequel looks to come in notably behind the $153.4 million launch of 'Captain Marvel' in 2019.

7 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Sitting at 48% on RT after 113 reviews. Ouch.

I was kinda hoping that the negativity around this movie would turn out to be unjustified and that it would turn into a fun romp, but early returns are not good.

I've still got a ticket to see it tomorrow, and my wife is out of town, so I'll probably still go.

It's now moved up, surprisingly, to 59% "all critics" score after 132 reviews with a 5.7/10 (not good, but not bad). "Top critics" have it at a 42% after 38 reviews with a 4.8/10 score so far, which is rough.

I've been seeing some discourse online that makes it seem like it'll appeal more to young girls and women, and since a lot of RT critics are men it's not resonating with them, so take that for what it's worth. Plus let's be honest, just because someone is a Rotten Tomatoes tracked critic doesn't mean they're a good critic; I've seen some takes on various films that are just flat out bad.

I have a feeling that people who actually do see this will probably enjoy it overall, but the chuds online will take over the discourse about it and make it seem like a massive failure.

• True 1

8 minutes ago, Brick said:

I have a feeling that people who actually do see this will probably enjoy it overall, but the chuds online will take over the discourse about it and make it seem like a massive failure.

I'm not a chud but I play one on TV (just kidding) but as someone who enjoyed the first movie this one seems a lot less appealing. A lot of the marketing seemed to say, "do your homework (see the shows) before you see this" which kind of dampens my enjoyment up front. I'm all for ladies kicking ass but the trailer doesn't do anything for me. 🤷‍♀️