The Marvels - 11/10/2023 - first trailer

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm not a chud but I play one on TV (just kidding) but as someone who enjoyed the first movie this one seems a lot less appealing. A lot of the marketing seemed to say, "do your homework (see the shows) before you see this" which kind of dampens my enjoyment up front. I'm all for ladies kicking ass but the trailer doesn't do anything for me. 🤷‍♀️

Funny you mention that because I actually just saw a Tweet from someone saying the marketing on this has been bad because you really don't need to see all those shows to enjoy the movie, as the movie recaps the important bits of information.

• Shocked 1

I've seen some early review on tin Tok that were pretty positive... oh well...

I think I'm pretty much off the Marvel train at this point anyway. I've only seen about a third of the content they've put out the last 2 years or so... including Secret Invasion and Ms Marvel which both seem like they would be important to enjoying this...

I also did not like the Captain Marvel movie very much.

I didn’t think much of Captain Marvel, but I really enjoyed The Marvels. It’s cheeky and kitsch and very self aware. This is Kamala’s movie in spirit and tone. It’s joke heavy and isn’t afraid to fangirl out. The action is inventive and fun. There are some comic book movies that feel ashamed of their comic book origins, but The Marvels is really excited about it.

That excitement in combination with some silliness reminded me of Star Trek Lower Decks. Lower Decks loves to wallow in how absurd Trek can be, but even as it mines that for laughs you can tell it comes from a place of love. I feel like the Marvels does that as well. Like an outlandish Trek episode, it isn’t afraid to present the bizarre with a straight face or to just throw some sci-fi gibberish at whatever you need to happen, and like Lower Decks, it wants you to know it’s in on the joke.

Spoiler

We want to connect these characters so here’s some science sounding words. We wanted a musical sequence, so yes, these aliens only talk through song, but only until the joke is done, then they can just speak normally. Nick Fury isn’t particularly afraid of the universe ending or his space station blowing up, this kind of stuff happens to him all the time, and besides, he knows this movie isn’t big enough to kill Nick Fury. 

I don’t think the film is entirely successful, but I think it largely hit what it was aiming for. There are a few moments that didn’t feel right at the time and don’t really hold up on reflection, but nothing big. Not all the jokes are going to land, but If you can get on board with Kamala’s energy and just be excited about the ride, I think you can enjoy this. It’s very much a Marvel movie (and certainly the one with the most out loud mentions of “marvel”), but it’s got a slightly different vibe from much of the MCU that I found slightly refreshing. It’s no masterpiece, but it’s a fun romp. 

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I didn’t think much of Captain Marvel, but I really enjoyed The Marvels. It’s cheeky and kitsch and a very self aware. This is Kamala’s movie in spirit and tone. It’s joke heavy and isn’t afraid to fangirl out. The action is inventive and fun. There are some comic book movies that feel ashamed of their comic book origins, but The Marvels is really excited about it.

Where would you rank it on a list in terms of quality compared to other MCU films post Endgame? This includes: Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Eternals, Doctor Strange 2, Thor 4, Black Panther 2, Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and Ant-Man 3. Because of those, only Shang-Chi, Eternals, BP2, and GotG 3 made any kind of impression on me. The other 3 were forgettable to bad.

9 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Where would you rank it on a list in terms of quality compared to other MCU films post Endgame? This includes: Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Eternals, Doctor Strange 2, Thor 4, Black Panther 2, Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and Ant-Man 3. Because of those, only Shang-Chi, Eternals, BP2, and GotG 3 made any kind of impression on me. The other 3 were forgettable to bad.

I'd definitely rank it amongst the worthwhile. Much better than Thor 4, Eternals, and Ant-Man 3, not as good as GotG 3. I remember liking Shang-Chi and BP2 well enough, but I haven't revisited them. Black Widow left no impression at all.

I don't think The Marvels is essential MCU or should set a tone for upcoming films to follow, and it probably shouldn't change anyone's mind on the MCU, but it was a welcome and enjoyable diversion. A lot of it feels like something we've done before, but this one at least did it with a smile.

• Thanks 2

This was really fun. Aside from maybe a missed opportunity to get more into some of the stuff Carol was dealing with and giving the villain a bit more juice, no real complaints. It’s not groundbreaking or anything but it’s good. It does a good job of avoiding the common pitfalls that a dude centric, similar movie would have around Carol and Kamala interacting, which was nice. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

this movie wasn’t very good. yeah, it has some fun parts (kamala khan rules), but there’s absolutely nothing to chew on in this movie. like towards the end

Spoiler

monica gets stuck in the time thingy and carol is sad for like 5 seconds, kamala is sad for 10 seconds! nick fury just kinda brushes it off like damn that sucks. well anyways… it’s like the characters know she’ll be fine just like the audience assumes she’s fine bc of the multiverse now. 

and that thing in the first half when they connected their memories or whatever. carol is flipping through monica’s memories. we can’t get any kind of emotional payoff from that because it’s clearly just meant to remind us what has happened in other marvel shows/movies. then we need to bust into a fun montage.

yes marvel give us nothing 😍😍😍  

ultimately a pretty forgettable movie that at the very least had a few fun parts 

Movie was fine. Glad I didn't bother to see it in theaters.

The switching stuff was fun and elevated what was some otherwise pretty bog standard MCU action. The bit with switching from Carol flying around to getting back into the ship and running up to the controls reminded me a bit of the first Avengers in terms of being a pretty smooth transition between big-sequence and small-sequence action. I guess I'm kinda interested to see how exactly they merge the X-Men reality into the main MCU because I doubt they want to keep it as two parallel universes going forward.

Agree with kal on the villain needing some more juice but by MCU standards hey at least she had some pretty clear motivations and didn't feel like a complete afterthought.

On 11/19/2023 at 1:02 PM, Kal-El814 said:

It does a good job of avoiding the common pitfalls that a dude centric, similar movie would have around Carol and Kamala interacting, which was nice. 

Curious what you mean specifically.

12 hours ago, Jason said:

Curious what you mean specifically.

I think it would have been really easy to have Kamala and Carol be frenemies or rivals or set up some "never meet your heroes" kind of scenario. Not that there's anything wrong with those per se, but it's surprisingly uncommon to just let female characters be friends.

20 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

been a while since I saw it but there were so many holes in the story, but it's okay aka mindless fun as long as you don't actually think too much while watching. 

Yep, watched it in an empty theater and just went along with the fun, but I tried to re-watch it and couldn't get past the first act because the story has too many shortcuts. It's also in the running for one of the worst villains by making her a Ronan clone.

• 1 month later...

I finally watched this over the weekend and it was not very good. It's not bad either, just a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing. I was happy the movie didn't end with a doomsday light beam into the sky and two CGI armies smashing into each other, so that was something, but man this movie was just a bunch of non sequitir scenes strung together. Nick Fury is just joking around the entire time taking nothing seriously (lowering stakes that are already barely there), we waste time on a planet that's a live-action Disney musical, we then waste more time on a bunch of Flerkens (the cats) eating people to save them, there's about 5-6 CGI heavy fights strung throughout the film, and the film is only 1 hour and 45 minutes. We really don't have time to waste on all this nonsense with such a short runtime as is. My younger brother was exhausted by the end because there's no breathing room for any character work at all except for the one montage scene in the middle of the movie where they bond and train to get into sync with each other. They even introduce some mind sync device that never comes up again after it's introduced. The villain is a complete throw away character (as per usual) and there aren't really any stakes to speak of. I'm surprised people here liked it as much as they did since this felt like a pretty inconsequential movie. And man the VFX is getting super dicey in these movies now, we watched Captain Marvel ahead of this and that looked way better as a movie by comparison. This felt like just a step above the CW superhero shows (in terms of the VFX).

I'd say this was better than Ant-Man 3, Thor 4 and Doctor Strange 2 but worse than Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Eternals, Guardians 3 and Black Panther 2 of the post Avengers: Endgame movies. I'd give this a 6/10. Black Widow and this sort of sit at the same level.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

tumblr_o7pqtzyHSp1ujovqwo1_500.gif

I only meant in terms of the VFX. :p I watched the first bunch of seasons of The Flash, Supergirl, Arrow, etc. Pretty good at times, I enjoyed them but I had to drop them after awhile, too many episodes with two many seasons and too many interconnected shows.