High-altitude UFO shot down over Alaska

Jason

1 hour ago, Demut said:

What is it with you guys and intergalactic visitors?

Also, anyone going on about "muh cosmic distances" just isn't thinking big enough. With the kind of power that you get access to with a Dyson Swarm the problem of traveling between the stars becomes trivially easy. Now, that we haven't seen any evidence of said megastructures (and you'd expect us to if they were out there) is a different matter :p

If they were intergalactic travelers instead of interstellar travelers -- How would we know? 

1 minute ago, Air_Delivery said:

I'd imagine we are developing a cheaper way to take these down. I'd imagine the value proposition of using a missile everytime isn't great. 

High powered lasers would probably do the job well enough.

If the pilots are skilled, they could just use a gatling gun.  Or, that's what Ace Combat taught me.

• True 1

8 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I'd imagine we are developing a cheaper way to take these down. I would think the value proposition of using a missile everytime isn't great. 

Training and using inventory instead of letting its shelf life expire is probably fiscally responsible enough. The jets would be flying anyways. It’s just a bonus they have something real to shoot down. 

28 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I'd imagine we are developing a cheaper way to take these down. I would think the value proposition of using a missile everytime isn't great. 

A giant thumbtack on a 50 foot pole. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Are you saying that a Dyson Swarm would make it easier to travel ftl or just that a civ that has one would have lots of energy and resources to spare to build lots of probes?

Both. Not only could a type II civilization send out hundreds of colony ships a year on a whim, they could also bring them up to relativistic speeds through the use of, for example, continuous laser beams (relayed ones if need be). Sure, even with 10% of light speed, say, we're still talking about travel times in the decades but that is orders of magnitude more feasible than the aeon-long voyages which we'd otherwise have to contend with.

9 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

The jets would be flying anyways.

Would they though? Flight time costs resources (fuel alone can apparently come with a six-figure price tag for these missions since it's not just the jets but also the surveillance aircraft that kept an eye on the balloon for example) which wouldn't have been required had the planes not been scrambled for this. It's not like they're canceling training flights and replacing them with these missions so sorties like this one are definitely an extra cost that has to be paid in addition to whatever else they've got regularly scheduled.

10 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

I'm sure we could get these from our friends, the space jews. 

WWW.BLOOMBERG.COM

The Biden administration suspects that three unidentified objects downed since last Friday served commercial purposes and weren’t used for spying, a judgment that may help ease anxiety over a Chinese balloon that traversed the US before being shot down.

The intelligence community believes the objects — unlike the giant airship shot down on Feb. 4 —“could just be balloons tied to some commercial or benign purpose,” National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said Tuesday. 

So it turns out the Chinese spy balloon was likely meant for Guam, but winds took it off-course and over North America:

UPE3VKKQWAOE55KHCVK4EXONBM.JPG&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The errant path of the large Chinese spy balloon across Alaska and the continental United States may have been caused by unusual weather conditions that pulled it off course.

And for the smaller objects that we're seeing all of the sudden thanks to changing the radar filters?

vsHhQHK.png

UFO2.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
WWW.FOXNEWS.COM

A White House official told governors in a virtual briefing on Monday that "there are no UFOs" and "this is not an invasion of the aliens" after three flying objects were shot down over North America.

Flying-Porta-Potty.gif

2 hours ago, TyphoidHater said:

Screw everyone of those pricks that wouldn't stop to hit the balloon back at the dog

Unironically imagine not playing with a friendly doggy that comes up to you. Especially if it's like bopping a baloon to you so you can send it back to him or to continue moving it. What soulless creature would do this?

• True 2

2.18.23-0600z-1.png?w=640
NIBBB.ORG

Pico Balloon K9YO last reported on February 11th at 00:48 zulu near Hagemeister Island after 123 days and 18 hours of flight. Hagemeister Island is an uninhabited island in the U.S. state of Alaska, located on the north shore of Bristol Bay at the entrance to Togiak Bay. The island is 16 miles long, has…

There's some evidence that the Yukon object could have been a balloon club's balloon.

• Haha 1