High-altitude UFO shot down over Alaska

Jason

Maybe it is a balloon. In fact, the chances of it being a balloon are probably greater than it being extraterrestrial in origin. BUT if it is a balloon, it would be pretty limited in it's capabilities.

A balloon that is the size of a small car would not have much lifting capacity - If this was a balloon that was the size of a small car, it would have a volume of approximately 500 cubic feet. 1 cubic foot of helium can lift 0.069 pounds of mass. This would mean that a balloon of this size could life about 35 pounds worth of instrumentation and other gear. That isn't very much. It would have to have solar panels (or large batteries) for power and communication, but the northern arctic is still very dark for most of the day due to the low winter sun.

Appears China's State Oceanic Administration is advising of a UFO and released an advisory about debris and if you find any wreckage to photograph it or help recover it. 

I'm gonna guess both sides are done with the casual spying. I still hold outside hope it's aliens. Guess I'm a romantic and aliens is a vastly more interesting then geo-politics.

I'm gonna play Xenonauts brb.

4 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Appears China's State Oceanic Administration is advising of a UFO and released an advisory about debris and if you find any wreckage to photograph it or help recover it. 

I'm gonna guess both sides are done with the casual spying. I still hold outside hope it's aliens. Guess I'm a romantic and aliens is a vastly more interesting then geo-politics.

I'm gonna play Xenonauts brb.

Far more likely they're just making shit up.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Really bad look that Canada doesn't have fighter jets to deal with these objects in our airspace, and needed a foreign power to deal with it.

I wonder what we could have done differently?

Theres really only a few fighters able to go up that high, most fighter max out below 55k feet, i'm sure a ground based system could have knocked it down but expensive.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Really bad look that Canada doesn't have fighter jets to deal with these objects in our airspace, and needed a foreign power to deal with it.

I wonder what we could have done differently?

As usual, you have an uninformed take (well, informed by the right-wing infosphere in Canada which is now saying that Trudeau utilizing NORAD shows he is weak). Releases by the Canadian government show that both Canadian and American fighters (likely CF-18 and F-22, respectively) were dispatched under the auspices of NORAD. American fighters were first to arrive on-scene, and were given the order by Trudeau to shoot the object down. 

The CF-18 has an operational flight ceiling of 50,000 feet, similar to the F-22, more than enough to take down the object. NORAD worked exact as expected in this instance. The object had just crossed the American/Canadian border when aircraft were directed to it, and the American base was closer. If the object had been spotted over, say, NWT or any of the western provinces, then Canadian fighters would have been first to reach it.

If Trudeau had given the order to wait an hour (or whatever) until Canadian fighters had arrived, then you'd almost certainly be in this thread parroting a right-wing talking point about how Trudeau needlessly put Canada at risk by waiting.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

As usual, you have an uninformed take (well, informed by the right-wing infosphere in Canada which is now saying that Trudeau utilizing NORAD shows he is weak). Releases by the Canadian government show that both Canadian and American fighters (likely CF-18 and F-22, respectively) were dispatched under the auspices of NORAD. American fighters were first to arrive on-scene, and were given the order by Trudeau to shoot the object down. 

The CF-18 has an operational flight ceiling of 50,000 feet, similar to the F-22, more than enough to take down the object. NORAD worked exact as expected in this instance. The object had just crossed the American/Canadian border when aircraft were directed to it, and the American base was closer. If the object had been spotted over, say, NWT or any of the western provinces, then Canadian fighters would have been first to reach it.

If Trudeau had given the order to wait an hour (or whatever) until Canadian fighters had arrived, then you'd almost certainly be in this thread parroting a right-wing talking point about how Trudeau needlessly put Canada at risk by waiting.

I'm critical of our lack of an effective military force to maintain Canadian sovereignty in the arctic.

The fact that a Canadian jet wasn't able to get there in a timely manner is the issue.

That's not really a right or left wing talking point -- the NDP and Conservatives have both been similarly critical of our failures here.  So, I wouldn't call it a "right-wing talking point".

Despite what Justin's communication department implies, he can't order a USAF jet to do anything.  He can only authorize/allow them to do it.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

How does NORAD work? I had read that sometimes Canadian jets are also in American airspace? I don’t think it’s a big deal that we happened to have jets in the area, but I also don’t know what I’m talking about lol.

Imagine if knowing what you're talking about was a requirement for posting here. :p

• True 1

22 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'm critical of our lack of an effective military force to maintain Canadian sovereignty in the arctic.

The fact that a Canadian jet wasn't able to get there in a timely manner is the issue.

That's not really a right or left wing talking point -- the NDP and Conservatives have both been similarly critical of our failures here.  So, I wouldn't call it a "right-wing talking point".

Despite what Justin's communication department implies, he can't order a USAF jet to do anything.  He can only authorize/allow them to do it.

There are some places where Canadian jets would be able to reach (in the US) than American jets, where Canadian bases are closer. It's not an issue. The whole point of NORAD is that both countries cover the entire continent and work together. Should Canada have greater capabilities in the Arctic? Yes. Was this situation anything to do with that? No.

Also you are being pedantic with the order/authorize. NORAD wanted to take the jet down, but couldn't without Trudeau's order/consent. He gave it. No one is suggesting that Trudeau can directly order American forces under NORAD to do anything he wants. NORAD is constrained to certain operations, namely the air defense of the continent.

Just now, Joe said:

How does NORAD work? I had read that sometimes Canadian jets are also in American airspace? I don’t think it’s a big deal that we happened to have jets in the area, but I also don’t know what I’m talking about lol.

By treaty the NORAD Commander (who's also the US Northern Commander) is a US 4 star and the Deputy Commander is a Canadian 3 star. It's organized into 3 regional commands, CONUS Region (US 1st Air Force), Canada Region (Canadian 1st Air Division), and Alaska Region (US 11th Air Force). There was a thing years ago where Canadian fighters had to cover Alaska since the F-16 fleet was grounded,

• Halal 2

9 minutes ago, Joe said:

NORAD is a joint command of air defense forces of the US and Canada. The entire airspace is monitored by a series of ground radar sites as well as airborne radar planes. Other radar networks of the USAF and the FAA send radar data to NORAD command for air defense use. 

Then, as JWheel said, the command structure deploys fighter aircraft to intercept, identify, and if needed shoot down any target. 

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, CayceG said:

NORAD is a joint command of air defense forces of the US and Canada. The entire airspace is monitored by a series of ground radar sites as well as airborne radar planes. Other radar networks of the USAF and the FAA send radar data to NORAD command for air defense use. 

Then, as JWheel said, the command structure deploys fighter aircraft to intercept, identify, and if needed shoot down any target. 

And largely, the mutual cooperation is about Canada operating a series of radar stations in the Arctic territories, and the US operating fast-response jets stationed in Alaska. It would be ridiculous for both nations to have the same capabilities considering the 10x difference in population and GDP. The US benefits massively (and did during the Cold War) from having early warning information shared from the Canadian Arctic. 

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

So our boy AS is being silly. Not surprising. 

WWW.URBANDICTIONARY.COM

Trudeau Derangement Syndrome (TDS) is a mental condition in which a person has been driven effectively insane due to their dislike of Justin Trudeau, to the point they will abandon all logic and reason because of the infection.

• True 1