Nintendo to charge $70 for Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Voucher discount available)

crispy4000

Inflation price hikes I have no problem with.  Paltry $20 off discounts years after release, I do.

It's going to sting seeing $50 as the new deep-discount price for a Nintendo game.

45 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really am having a very difficult time seeing how the so-called "AAA"-tier is going to be sustainable.

Imagine needing to sell 10 million copies to succeed while watching the console manufacturers push subscription models.

• True 1

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

To me, a price hike should come with a clear advantage to me. After all, if I'm paying more money for the same stuff, I feel like I'm just getting boned.

I can easily wrap my mind around a new 2023 game costing $10 more than a 2017 game once did.  Because just look at the price of everything else.  And how long the industry stuck to $60 beforehand.

The bigger issue to me, personally, is how much further Nintendo is pricing themselves out of impulse buy territory when they discount.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

This game has to average an 98% in reviews for me to buy it. I honestly don't care if it was $70 but the Switch is ancient now and Zelda will run at 18fps so I'm not too excited for it.

That's a bit reactionary.  Monolith's temporal upscaller developed for Xenoblade 3 is likely being used.  (derived from work by Activision      as a starting point)  It's far and away the best we've seen on the system.  In portable mode, its actually supersampling down its reconstructed output from ~900p to 720p.

Digital Foundry:

The inclusion of this technique [in XB3] also raises some questions in regards to the sequel to Breath of the Wild.  As far as we know, Monolith Soft has provided engineering assistance to Nintendo for this game.  And perhaps this explains why the most recent trailer offered such clean image quality, exceeding our expectations.  They might be using a similar technique and Xenoblade 3 is a hint of what it might deliver.

Long story short, you shouldn't be worried about Tears of the Kingdom looking or running too bad.  The art style already looked good for the resolution it targeted before, and reconstruction has only gotten better since, which should help the performance stability.

• Thanks 2

Atari cartridges could cost $100 in 1980 -- which is over $330 today. (Or over $400, if you go closer to launch due to the inflation rates in the late 70s).

Neo Geo cartridges cost $300 in the early 90s, which is over $500 today.

The price of historical games is irrelevant to today.

If you think a game is worth the price that is being charged, buy it.  If you don't, buy something different.  There are lots of games coming out.

56 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

That's a bit reactionary.  Monolith's temporal upscaller developed for Xenoblade 3 is likely being used.  (derived from work by Activision      as a starting point)  It's far and away the best we've seen on the system.  In portable mode, its actually supersampling down its reconstructed output from ~900p to 720p.

Digital Foundry:

Long story short, you shouldn't be worried about Tears of the Kingdom looking or running too bad.  The art style already looked good for the resolution it targeted before, and reconstruction has only gotten better since, which should help the performance stability.

I was exaggerating just a tad but I really do hope Zelda turns out great and can run smoothly at 30fps. Breath of the Wild is one of the better games I've played in a long time so I hope this succeeds it in every way. 

I can't say I'm "thrilled" about the potential of Nintendo games costing 70 dollars, but it's also just what the market is doing. That said, unlike just about every other publisher, Nintendo doesn't do price drops willy-nilly, so good luck finding a copy for under 50 bucks in 3 years after launch unless there's a 3rd party discount somewhere for some retail store. 

I'll still wait and see what holds when the info drops though. It's possible it's 60 bucks for base game, and 70 bucks including a Season Pass, but I believe that was 20 bucks or something for BOTW. Needless to say, if the game is as vast, and packed as we're all hoping, it could turn out Xenoblade levels of gameplay time, and help "justify" the possible price point. 

Given how many hours I put in to the average game I purchase, and assuming most of you dorks do at least the same, I’m kinda surprised at complaints about game prices. The value per hour of enjoyment is pretty unrivaled for me, even on the rare occasion I buy at $60-$70.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's still $60 at Gamestop.

Legend-of-Zelda-Tears-of-the-Kingdom---N
WWW.GAMESTOP.COM

Buy Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Nintendo Switch by Nintendo for Nintendo Switch at GameStop. Find release dates, customer reviews, previews, and more.

They wouldn't up the price would they?

41 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Given how many hours I put in to the average game I purchase, and assuming most of you dorks do at least the same, I’m kinda surprised at complaints about game prices. The value per hour of enjoyment is pretty unrivaled for me, even on the rare occasion I buy at $60-$70.

I love Nintendo but I don't really value SP games enough to spend 70 bucks unless it's RE4/Elden Ring tier. I'll buy it still just hope performance is on par with BOTW1. 

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Yup the value per hour is how I justify the price of things….specially since I buy so few games anymore. In general I will pay for all DLC associated with the game (good content) because I buy so few…. Inverse of that there are games I wanted in the past that go for less than $10 than im somehow unwilling to now buy… Gamer purchasing freedom I suppose

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Right but I already get that value per hour, and this makes it go down. So... no thanks!

Remember when Nintendo games were only $40/$50 1 generation back? lol Normally for other systems I didn't care because I've gotten into buying my games much after release when they're much cheaper. Yet since at best Nintendo games will be $20/$30 off it's kind of crap.

35 minutes ago, Jason said:

It'll be interesting to see if the retailers honor preorders that got in on the $60 price.

Depends, most will but a select few wont (I think gamestop wont).

I wonder if part of the objection some are feeling is also because there isn’t a new, more powerful Nintendo console coming out along with this price increase. 

im the kind of person that for a game I will often buy the Deluxe edition. I want the extra in game goodies and I expect the value of dollar/hour will still be acceptable. 

but for games where I’m not a day one adopter, I wait for sales. My value for money has the potential to be much higher and my level of disappointment much lower if I don’t end up enjoying and playing the game much.

This is where I definitely understand the criticism for Nintendo’s anti-consumer pricing practices. The games never drop to that point. 

If I ended up not like Horizon Zero Dawn, fine, I spent $18 on it. But I’ve now spent 72+ hours in the game. 

and now that Nintendo has fully embraced the DLC model too, their games are even more expensive and stay expensive for late adopters looking to get the full game. Where with almost everyone else, the late comers advantage is a much cheaper game in 1-2 years. Like when I bought the $120 version of AC:Odyssey for like $30 a couple years ago. 

but I think it goes back to that old discussion we were having about Nintendo needing to do remasters of something. Nintendo doesn’t care what we think, because they don’t have to. 

I didn’t realize that Nintendo reinstated the game vouchers here in the US again. For those who don’t remover, you pay $100 for 2 game vouchers basically getting $10 off each game. Now it looks like Zelda ToK is eligible for this promotion so you can get it for $50 based on the Nintendo website.

Just now, Brian said:

I didn’t realize that Nintendo reinstated the game vouchers here in the US again. For those who don’t remover, you pay $100 for 2 game vouchers basically getting $10 off each game. Now it looks like Zelda ToK is eligible for this promotion so you can get it for $50 based on the Nintendo website.

Yeah that is right, so you just get the vouchers for $100 and then pick up Kirby and you end up with Zelda for $40. I was considering waiting a year to see if there is a Switch 2 upgrade but might just get it on launch now since it’s so cheap.

• crispy4000 changed the title to Nintendo to charge $70 for Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

The vouchers almost completely change the calculus here.

social-share.jpg
WWW.NINTENDO.COM

It's still $60 average for a game after you consider you're giving Nintendo $20 for the discount.  But that's enough to negate the price hike if there's another new game you're interested in.

This is enough to convince me to pre-order Pikmin 4 now.

• crispy4000 changed the title to Nintendo to charge $70 for Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Voucher discount available)
26 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

Maybe that's their justification for 70 dollars?

The justification is there will be virtually no change in the number of units sold, but 15% more in the bank account :p 

I actually think Nintendo was late to the party on price increases. They could have been getting $70 a game on their major releases the entire time.

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The justification is there will be virtually no change in the number of units sold, but 15% more in the bank account :p 

I actually think Nintendo was late to the party on price increases. They could have been getting $70 a game on their major releases the entire time.

Think about how much a night at the movies are. Sporting event. Concerts. For a few hours. Games bring hundreds of hours of entertainment on you schedule anytime you want. Seems like a bargain to me.  

• True 2

5 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Think about how much a night at the movies are. Sporting event. Concerts. For a few hours. Games bring hundreds of hours of entertainment on you schedule anytime you want. Seems like a bargain to me.  

One way to determine if it's worth it is Hours Per Dollar, or Dollars per Hour, depending on how you want to phrase it. 

EDIT: Hardware geeks use Cost Per Frame to justify if a GPU is worth it or not, so why not apply similar framework for gaming hours?

28 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

In fairness, some will be offset by is going towards 10% employee raises.

They’re still making a ton of money regardless.