Update: NASA announces results of DART planetary defense test

Chris-

8 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Excerpt please?

Heart rates are spiking in the Washington suburbs, where scientists and engineers on Monday evening hope to witness a vending-machine-sized spacecraft that is 7 million miles from Earth crash into an asteroid.

If everything goes as planned, and the laws of gravity and motion don’t change at the last minute, this will happen at 7:14 p.m. Eastern time — or, to be precise: 7:14:23.

There’s nothing major at stake here, other than demonstrating a technology that someday might save civilization.

It’s important to note that the targeted asteroid isn’t a threat to Earth and has done nothing wrong to deserve this attention. But the space collision is a critical moment for the Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART), NASA’s first test of “planetary defense.”

This mission is designed to show how a “kinetic impactor” could deflect a dangerous asteroid that might strike the Earth. There are a lot of space rocks out there that could interrupt our typically peaceful journey around the sun. The general strategy in planetary defense is to alter the orbits of asteroids so that, even if they come close to Earth, they’ll pass by harmlessly.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Plot twist: We see at the last second before impact that it's an alien recon craft and we blow it up with a kamikaze ship, starting a war we stand no chance of winning!

Did I mention I'm pretty good at X-Com? Oo wait this reminds me I gotta givr that Terra Invicta game a try. (Think Xcom but instead of tactical ground combat u have tactical space combat)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: NASA announces results of DART planetary defense test