The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - update: 10+ million copies sold worldwide in first three days (fastest selling title in the Zelda series)

Keyser_Soze

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

holy crap...when the frick did you start playing?!?!

and damn that underground around the castle area near the start with the devil statue..didn't think it would ever end, area after area after area...and the number of weapons I needed to use to keep breaking all those rock walls was ridiculous 

I started playing like the day after the game leaked. :p I paid Nintendo their blood money so I'll take the game when I please! (Also nothing beat the magic of playing it when there's literally NO help that's easily searchable online.)

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Uh so what are you supposed to do at one of those points where you need to make the hook platform to rope line between sky islands if you die and then the hook and other materials are gone because they're on the other island now? 

Hold ZL to block. Press your jump button. Then while in the air, hit A. You are now shield surfing. Grind them rails, baby! (You can fuse a minecart or cart to your shield to turn it into an all-terrain skateboard that lasts much longer, too!)

• Shocked 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, eventide11 said:

Man, I don't know what to do. I'm wandering around getting wrecked and I know there's TONS around me to make things easier but hitting nails with pool noodles is fun for me I guess. Gotta get on the right track 

I’m just playing the game. See a shrine? Go there and figure it out. See an enemy camp? Go there and clear it. See a Tower? Go there and activate it. Find a cave? Explore it.  See a NPC? Go talk to them. Get a side quest? Complete it. I’m not trying to go in any particular order for anything. The game is too big for that. I am working my way to an area for the Main Quest though while I do am the things I mentioned above. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’m just playing the game. See a shrine? Go there and figure it out. See an enemy camp? Go there and clear it. See a Tower? Go there and activate it. Find a cave? Explore it.  See a NPC? Go talk to them. Get a side quest? Complete it. I’m not trying to go in any particular order for anything. The game is too big for that. I am working my way to an area for the Main Quest though while I do am the things I mentioned above. 

Perfect way to play and that actually calmed my nerves a bit. This game is very overwhelming and intimidating for me. The entire world is a puzzle and I really struggle with that. 

I'm just going to keep chippin away and enjoying my time with it. 

How can you see total hours played? I only guessed with my earlier post. 

42 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Perfect way to play and that actually calmed my nerves a bit. This game is very overwhelming and intimidating for me. The entire world is a puzzle and I really struggle with that. 

I'm just going to keep chippin away and enjoying my time with it. 

How can you see total hours played? I only guessed with my earlier post. 

I think after a week or so it’ll show you hours played on your Switch profile where it shows the games you have played. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

That's usually how I approach these monstrosity sand box games. I probably just need to git gud and not put so much pressure on myself. I'll be playing this for the rest of the year at this point which isn't a bad thing since I can literally take it anywhere 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Coming May 12, 2023, update: 10+ million copies sold worldwide in first three days (fastest selling title in the Zelda series)

So unlike the rest of you nerds, I actually went and participated in democracy yesterday by

Spoiler

doing undercover ops in a mayoral election in Hateno Village, which I got roped into thinking I could go there to get my Purah Pad updated. But I guess I need to progress the story further to get Robbie to upgrade my pad?

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - update: 10+ million copies sold worldwide in first three days (fastest selling title in the Zelda series)
3 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

So unlike the rest of you nerds, I actually went and participated in democracy yesterday by

Reveal hidden contents

Yes, you need to progress the story further. Not even by that much, either.

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Hide contents

doing undercover ops in a mayoral election in Hateno Village, which I got roped into thinking I could go there to get my Purah Pad updated. But I guess I need to progress the story further to get Robbie to upgrade my pad?

Zelda gonna be real mad if she gets her iPad back and finds the camera roll filled with selfies of me and Purah.

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

So how does it work financially? 10 million X $70 for the money made? That seems incredible. 

It's not like that at all as you simply can't assume that each and every copy would sell at the equivalent of US $70 when converted from the national currency.

You also have to factor in the mix of retail vs digital sales as retail sales will result in a lower percentage of the revenue going back to Nintendo as retailers will take their cut, distributors will take their cut, etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Sicko 1

5 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

That isn’t the quest. You need to

Hide contents

Talk to josha in lookout landing and do her underground quest 

That’s done already. I got the camera and everything.

Spoiler

But then Robbie said he could upgrade it further to include the shrine sensor, but he won’t go to the house in Hateno yet because he still wants to help Josha, but when I talk to her she says go do what Purah asked regarding the phenomenons.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's not like that at all as you simply can't assume that each and every copy would sell at the equivalent of US $70 when converted from the national currency.

You also have to factor in the mix of retail vs digital sales as retail sales will result in a lower percentage of the revenue going back to Nintendo as retailers will take their cut, distributors will take their cut, etc.

That being said even if they got $20 off the $70 of each copy they still made $200 million dollars! :o

19 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

That’s done already. I got the camera and everything.

Hide contents

But then Robbie said he could upgrade it further to include the shrine sensor, but he won’t go to the house in Hateno yet because he still wants to help Josha, but when I talk to her she says go do what Purah asked regarding the phenomenons.

Continue the quest. 

though you may have to beat a shrine first to continue it. I kinda forget.

So I'll describe this in the least spoilery way possible:

Found an item in a cave that I wanted to bring out of it.  Accidentally destroyed the items I was 'supposed' to use. So I built a 4 fan platform from my device pods, shot it up at just the right angle to get it out.

Super gratifying.  I'm sure there's many more solutions.  This game is amazing.

• Halal 3

This only sold 10 million? I remember BOTW had at one point actually surpassed a 1:1 ratio    for switch units sold/copies of botw sold. This would only be a 1:25 ratio.

I’d expect that after the reception of BOTW that interest would be up not down, so I guess this confirms that a lot of people felt the same way about BOTW as I did. Hope they find out how improved this one is!

Just now, stepee said:

This only sold 10 million? I remember BOTW had at one point actually surpassed a 1:1 ratio    for switch units sold/copies of botw sold. This would only be a 1:25 ratio.

I’d expect that after the reception of BOTW that interest would be up not down, so I guess this confirms that a lot of people felt the same way about BOTW as I did. Hope they find out how improved this one is!

First 3 days.  Its also rare for games to have a huge attach ratio late in the life cycle of a system.  Zelda's also don't sell as spectacularly near the end of a console (Majora, Skyward Sword), so this is a good sign.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

First 3 days.  Its also rare for games to have a huge attach ratio late in the life cycle of a system.  Zelda's also don't sell as spectacularly near the end of a console (Majora, Skyward Sword), so this is a good sign.

Yeah i meant when that first launched too, that’s when it had a 1:1. The ratio for BOTW actually got worse over time, so that means this ratio will likely get worse as well.

This really feels like a full realization of what Breath of the Wild was going for.  I can't fathom how they balanced the collision of all these emergent systems with the very, very well crafted main quest.  I'm not super far into the game, but I've had more emergent scenarios that created awesome stories than I have in any other game I can remember.  I've also been following the primary quest, and it feels much more like a classic Zelda title in certain sections than BotW did.  I honestly don't know how any fan of these games could complain at this point. 

This is a an absolutely peerless video game that I hope (but cynically assume will not) be a turning point in the evolution of overall game design, at least for open worlds.  It feels to me so far like the kind of push that games haven't had in years and years. 

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah i meant when that first launched too, that’s when it had a 1:1. The ratio for BOTW actually got worse over time, so that means this ratio will likely get worse as well.

Depends if/when sales of Switch consoles outpace ToTK.  BoTW had a whole console generation for the ratio to be padded out.

Probably better just to pay attention to the total number than the attach ratio at this point.

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

I got two Switches (OG and OLED).  I ain’t gonna buy 2 copies. 

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Depends if/when sales of Switch consoles outpace ToTK.  BoTW had a whole console generation for the ratio to be padded out.

Probably better just to pay attention to the total number than the attach ratio at this point.

lol i’m trolling ok, i’m using the absolute worst metric possible (since botw was a launch title that also launched on wiiu letting it get even higher than normal prestige launch title ratio) to diminish the results 

25 minutes ago, stepee said:

They said it's the fastest selling Zelda to date though, so if anything it's doing better than BotW did in its first few days, plus it was also reported that digital copies sold out, meaning more would have been sold if they could! 

1 minute ago, Brick said:

plus it was also reported that digital copies sold out, meaning more would have been sold if they could! 

I’ve been refreshing the Nintendo store waiting for the restock

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

So to progress the story the dungeons opened up for me with the yellow beacons on the map. Can you tackle the dungeons really early on or should you advance with hearts and stamina first?

3 stamina upgrades help with platforming tension. 6+ hearts will keep you from getting one shot. I wouldn't enter the dungeon unupgraded unless you want to relive your Elden Ring experience.

• Thanks 1