The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - update: 10+ million copies sold worldwide in first three days (fastest selling title in the Zelda series)

Keyser_Soze

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I am personally in favor of ditching the super-intense traditional dungeon design, at least for an open world game like this. One of the most memorable dungeons from a classic Zelda game was Snowpeak in Twilight Princess, and that's because we were exploring this mountain and just stumble on this non-descript house, and even halfway through exploring the interior it still didn't feel quite like a dungeon.  Now everything feels like Snowpeak.

Ah, well I do own every Zelda Amiibo, but I also bought a complete Zelda pack of pre-made tags (cards) on eBay for $20, so about the same price for a single real Amiibo. Or, for the PC players out there you can get them free and use them an unlimited amount of times.

I disagree, I think theres no reason they shouldn’t have in depth dungeons. It’s clear the fanbase in general wants them back. Theres no reason not do at least a couple of them.

ya, theres a bunch of mods, I haven’t used any. I might look into amiibos though 

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

Did you specifically farm for it, or are you just finding enough material as you go along?

Farmed, but it took a couple of hours maybe. Just killing mobs underground. Every enemy drops the stones you need, noth large and small versions.

Just doing a quick Kotaku hate read and this article is so fucking dumb 

0deac4071a53c9afcc4ccb302b7bd1a2.jpg
KOTAKU.COM

Player gets warned by Comcast for downloading the Breath of the Wild sequel

This is literally fucking nothing. You download anything Nintendo on a torrent without vpn and you are getting that standard notice. Like for over a decade it’s been like that. I’ve gotten a few over the years myself! It’s just some random forum post about a guy getting a standard message from Comcast and they are reporting on it like it’s news, it’s insane. 

Look, if you find yourself writing this “RevolutionaryToe6738 did not immediately respond to a request for comment” then delete your article instantly and think of something, literally anything, else to make an article on.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Just doing a quick Kotaku hate read and this article is so fucking dumb 

0deac4071a53c9afcc4ccb302b7bd1a2.jpg
KOTAKU.COM

Player gets warned by Comcast for downloading the Breath of the Wild sequel

This is literally fucking nothing. You download anything Nintendo on a torrent without vpn and you are getting that standard notice. Like for over a decade it’s been like that. I’ve gotten a few over the years myself! It’s just some random forum post about a guy getting a standard message from Comcast and they are reporting on it like it’s news, it’s insane. 

Look, if you find yourself writing this “RevolutionaryToe6738 did not immediately respond to a request for comment” then delete your article instantly and think of something, literally anything, else to make an article on.

Kotaku us the most useless of useless gaming garbage. 

• True 1

2.jpg
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

We sit down with two of the most important members of the Legend of Zelda development team.

On that note, I think a lot of people share the viewpoint that Ocarina of Time was kind of the starting point for one era of Zelda games, laying the foundation for the several titles that came after it. Do you see Breath of the Wild as establishing the new blueprint or foundation of the next several Zelda games for years to come?

EA: With Ocarina of Time, I think it's correct to say that it did kind of create a format for a number of titles in the franchise that came after it. But in some ways, that was a little bit restricting for us. While we always aim to give the player freedoms of certain kinds, there were certain things that format didn't really afford in giving people freedom. Of course, the series continued to evolve after Ocarina of Time, but I think it's also fair to say now that we've arrived at Breath of the Wild and the new type of more open play and freedom that it affords. Yeah, I think it's correct to say that it has created a new kind of format for the series to proceed from.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I disagree, I think theres no reason they shouldn’t have in depth dungeons. It’s clear the fanbase in general wants them back. Theres no reason not do at least a couple of them.

ya, theres a bunch of mods, I haven’t used any. I might look into amiibos though 

The old school design would just feel like a chore. One of the better modern interpretations of the classic Zelda dungeon is actually Stormveil Castle in Elden Ring. There were several branching paths and each were viable. You could choose to explore and loot the depths of the dungeon, or you could literally just run through the main gate straight to the boss. But I can just imagine how much fun that castle would be if we could climb walls and use the glider. I've only completed the Wind Temple in TotK, but I enjoy how you can tackle each of the objectives in whatever order you want, and that you don't feel like you're trapped 10+ rooms deep.

9 minutes ago, Biggie said:

How do you check how many shrines you’ve completed?

Good question. I took down 2 towers and two shrines this evening. I tried getting a horse and it was a disaster lol.

I need to find a horse that isn't surrounded by mountains. :p

This game can be difficult, too. Puzzles I mean. 

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

Let me ask this. How many do you have?

Shrines - 17

Towers - 0

Hours- 10 hours

103 shrines

All towers

83 lightroots

209 korok seeds

CuhRPxY.jpg

MgwSSJK.jpg

Also I cannot stress enough that I am nowhere near bored, whereas I was totally checked out of BotW by now. (Still, 185 hours is more than I play 99% of games)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Biggie said:

How do you check how many shrines you’ve completed?

Loading screens. They're the weird icon that's supposed to look like a shrine but to me just looks like a weird hooded dude lifting weights. Directly under your orbs of light.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

103 shrines

All towers

83 lightroots

209 korok seeds

CuhRPxY.jpg

MgwSSJK.jpg

Also I cannot stress enough that I am nowhere near bored, whereas I was totally checked out of BotW by now. (Still, 185 hours is more than I play 99% of games)

Holy Mary mother of God. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

103 shrines

All towers

83 lightroots

209 korok seeds

CuhRPxY.jpg

MgwSSJK.jpg

Holy fuck 

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Holy Mary mother of God. 

Right?

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

The old school design would just feel like a chore. One of the better modern interpretations of the classic Zelda dungeon is actually Stormveil Castle in Elden Ring. There were several branching paths and each were viable. You could choose to explore and loot the depths of the dungeon, or you could literally just run through the main gate straight to the boss. But I can just imagine how much fun that castle would be if we could climb walls and use the glider. I've only completed the Wind Temple in TotK, but I enjoy how you can tackle each of the objectives in whatever order you want, and that you don't feel like you're trapped 10+ rooms deep.

I just don’t agree, and neither do fans. The dungeons are one of Zeldas best features, and they should return. The idea that they are a chore is yours, and that’s fune, but its not how many of us feel.

Just now, Xbob42 said:

Which fans, the 9 million who bought the best selling dungeon-based Zelda game, or the 30+ million that bought the one without dungeons? :p

I mean, the biggest complaint about BotW was the lack of dungeons and empty world. 

they fixed the second, but the first is not there yet. 

C3ebCzmH3hNE3DZfwLxkz3-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Korok torture seems to be the new Zelda pasttime. Welcome to sandbox freedom, Nintendo players.

If I know anything about PC gaming, I know this: given an ounce of freedom, PC gamers will build a giant penis that spews fire. I'm frankly not even sure what else you'd build in Besiege, the most innately PC of freeform building games. A catapult or something? Boring. There's no better evidence that The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a sandbox PC game at heart than how quickly they crested the penis horizon.

With that milestone met, the natural question is: what next? In a typical Zelda game, the answer would be to head to the next dungeon. But in this one, Nintendo has introduced an absurdly flexible building system that lets you connect all sorts of parts together and then power them, creating sturdier weapons, traps for hapless bokoblins, or even freaking mechs. Faced with unprecedented freedom and player choice, the pure, innocent Nintendo gamers playing Zelda this weekend seem to have channeled their inner PC gremlin in a certain direction: abject torture.

I've seen some wild Tears of the Kingdom creations over the last few days, and almost all of them have been designed with the singular purpose of torturing Zelda's poor innocent koroks. These little forest creatures, koroks, are hidden around Hyrule for you to find, and pop up with an adorable little chirp when you discover them. They can't actually be harmed, which I guess makes them the perfect guinea pigs for twisted torture devices or simple gallows humor. There's no more straightforward exhibit A than a little light crucifixion.

• Haha 1

Jumped into a random well / cave and found a piece of the...

Spoiler

Climbing Gear / Axl Rose set

was wondering if that would make its way over. No clues as to where the rest of the kit is, but I feel like it's potentially less important this time around.

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I just don’t agree, and neither do fans. The dungeons are one of Zeldas best features, and they should return. The idea that they are a chore is yours, and that’s fune, but its not how many of us feel.

Classic dungeons can be enjoyable. I just finished and adored the Link's Awakening remake a month ago, and I was thankful its dungeons seemed smaller and more tightly packed (at least compared to the behemoths in ALttP).  But after BotW and TotK, I definitely prefer the new evolution where the locations make sense. The entire world of TotK has so much puzzle solving that it feels like one huge classic dungeon anyway.

35 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Classic dungeons can be enjoyable. I just finished and adored the Link's Awakening remake a month ago, and I was thankful its dungeons seemed smaller and more tightly packed (at least compared to the behemoths in ALttP).  But after BotW and TotK, I definitely prefer the new evolution where the locations make sense. The entire world of TotK has so much puzzle solving that it feels like one huge classic dungeon anyway.

To be clear, I like the temples too. But theres no reason not to have dungeons, even if it was optional.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

To be clear, I like the temples too. But theres no reason not to have dungeons, even if it was optional.

I'm going to use the Wind Temple as an example, but if we consider the journey to our known destination as part of the dungeon, then the resemblance to classic dungeon design is more similar.  Instead of having to find a boss key to open a door, we get to trek through much cooler sky "rooms".  There are checkpoints/shortcuts (shrines) along the way, like we would find in a well-designed classic dungeon, but TotK gives us the freedom to bounce out and come back whenever we like. And, man, entering that storm with the music going was just sublime.  I really hope the other temples are cool as fuck like that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

103 shrines

All towers

83 lightroots

209 korok seeds

CuhRPxY.jpg

MgwSSJK.jpg

holy crap...when the frick did you start playing?!?!

and damn that underground around the castle area near the start with the devil statue..didn't think it would ever end, area after area after area...and the number of weapons I needed to use to keep breaking all those rock walls was ridiculous 

Uh so what are you supposed to do at one of those points where you need to make the hook platform to rope line between sky islands if you die and then the hook and other materials are gone because they're on the other island now?