2022 Midterm Thread

3 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

So let me check my math here. 

If Kelly holds AZ and Warnock wins the potential runoff, the Dems still have the same majority as before?

If we win NV, we go up 1 baby. If it’s a loss, yes it’s the same as before.

19 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I had to. I personally don't like Oz starting back to his Ophra days. Now we are fucked for a very long time. 

But Fetterman isn't a rich snob and Dr. Oz is, and you've indicated you don't like rich snobs. So why go with the rich snob over the working class candidate?

7 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

So let me check my math here. 

If Kelly holds AZ and Warnock wins the potential runoff, the Dems still have the same majority as before?

That is correct. Right now it's 48-48 with 4 seats left in play (GA, NV, AZ, and AK). Alaska is a lock for Republicans, making it 48-49. We get GA and AZ, we get 50. I don't know how NV will go, but once we hit 50 even if they hit 50 we have the vice presidential tie-breaking vote, so it would be the same as before. I think some are hoping we pull a win out of NV to make it 51-49 and not needing Harris' vote. Also not needing to have to rely on the GA runoff would be nice.

7 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

A very strange prop to tax the wealthy to help pay for electric cars lost,

I think it was a trick. The biggest supporter was Lyft

200924-newsom-cars-ap-773.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

A California battle over clean cars is pitting a major tech company against the governor.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think it was a trick. The biggest supporter was Lyft

200924-newsom-cars-ap-773.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

A California battle over clean cars is pitting a major tech company against the governor.

Yeah, that's part of why I didn't vote for it. If all the money went to infrastructure (charging stations, electric city vehicles, etc) then I probably would have voted for it. I feel like we should be moving past the point of rebates, and a rebate program that is heavily backed by a company that will need to buy a bunch of electric cars felt pretty fishy.

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Yeah, that's part of why I didn't vote for it. If all the money went to infrastructure (charging stations, electric city vehicles, etc) then I probably would have voted for it. I feel like we should be moving past the point of rebates, and a rebate program that is heavily backed by a company that will need to buy a bunch of electric cars felt pretty fishy.

I voted against it because we can't just be doing replacing ICE cars with electric cars. 

President Joe Biden will deliver remarks on the midterm elections at the White House on Wednesday afternoon.

The president will make the remarks and take questions from the news media at the State Dining Room at 4 p.m. ET, the White House said.

Biden said in a tweet Wednesday afternoon, "Democracy doesn’t happen by accident. We have to defend, strengthen, and renew it." Saying he'll have more to add later, he thanked poll workers and officials "that worked into the night to safeguard our sacred right to vote. And the millions who made their voices heard."

Biden has also been making calls to winning Democratic candidates, the White House said.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Just waking up and what I'm realizing (that I kinda already knew but started to forget) is that if it wasn't for gerrymandering Republicans probably wouldn't win too many elections on the national level. They redrew the lines dramatically and with the current climate and Biden's approval rating being in the basement, last night should have been a democratic bloodbath. Maybe they should realize that Donald Trump and his base of deplorables, idiots and lunatics is NOT the way forward for them or the country. I mean damn. Even IF they win the Senate and The house ultimately, this is SHOULD be a wake up call for them.

The problem with just dumping Trump is I don't think the party knows who they are once Trump is gone.

Their policies were already quite unpopular in 2016(which is part of the reason they chose the cult of personality to begin with). By the time 2024 rolls around it will have been nearly a decade since any answer to any policy question put to them was, "Whatever Trump most recently said about that particular topic". 

The fact that the party has little in terms of future prospects outside of the "Trumpism without Trump" idea shows how rudderless they are right now. I am pretty pessimistic about a lot of stuff in politics, but I remain pretty optimistic about the fact that Smart Trump/Trump without the baggage will be a spectacular failure for them. I despise Trump as much as anyone, but believing you can just plug in a bland politician that parrots his meaningless word salad to take his place is to completely misunderstand the unique appeal he had. Trump is actually more popular than the party. His problem is that he has proven incapable of stirring up that support without causing an even greater political backlash.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Fox going all-in on DeSantis:

pqwg0r0.png

Keep in mind, Fox was anti-Trump in 2016....until they weren't.

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

Do we think DeSantis has more juice than someone like Scott Walker did?

I will go on record as saying no. Even the chance of DeSantis taking over in the next 2 years is more about how the party and rightwing propaganda machine present him than the man himself. 

The question that I don't think anyone has the answer to is if Trump's 4 years in office improved his ability to project his appeal to the base, or hindered it. All the scandals and baggage suggests the latter. The fact that he got 75 million votes in 2020 suggests the former.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

Just now, GeneticBlueprint said:

Very much this. I mean he has been a key part in turning FL dark red instead of light red on the election map. He appeases every bullshit cultural grievance that cons shriek about. 

well he also gerrymandered the fuck out of it and does everything to hurt even potential dem areas

• True 1

2 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Very much this. I mean he has been a key part in turning FL dark red instead of light red on the election map. He appeases every bullshit cultural grievance that cons shriek about. 

Imagine what the Democrats could pull off if the Pelosi wing was willing to toss out some red meat instead of just constantly punching left on progressives.

• True 2

1 hour ago, Siebzehn said:

But what do they do when they shift to be appealing more moderate Republicans and their base considers them traitors and RINOs? 

They ride it out. Clearly they are out of step with the mainstream of the country and they need to be fucking leaders and not panderers. The tail has been wagging the dog in the Republican party for too long and they have become a tribe unto themselves rather than an AMERICAN political party. I never understood how any intelligent, open minded person with SOME sense of morals could honestly and proudly call them selves a Republican post Trump. That mother fucker exposed all of their "Republican orthodoxy, big tent bullshit" for what it was. Smoke and mirrors. And I will NEVER understand a person of color who can look at themselves in the mirror and say they are a Republican in today's party. Truly baffling... I have thoughts on that but not anything I would say in a public forum in polite society. Let's just say that my avatar shares similar sentiments on the matter and leave it at that.

• True 1
  • Halal 3