Let’s. Fucking. Go!

When it's broken out by age, his numbers with young voters are extremely bad for a Democrat, so a lot of it has been disappointment with not getting BBB through. That may moderate a bit with the IRA bill. Beyond that, I think there's a lot of evidence that people think the overall direction of the economy is pretty bad because of how much coverage inflation has gotten, even though job growth continues to hold up very well.

• True 1

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

For sure, but even that isn't mostly his fault, it's caused by a number of factors. And shouldn't he still get credit for all that he has done? Gah, I hate mainstream media and how they frame these things. :p 

It doesn't matter because -- fairly or unfairly -- the buck stops at the Oval Office, just as it always has.

• True 1

Just now, Ricofoley said:

When it's broken out by age, his numbers with young voters are extremely bad for a Democrat, so a lot of it has been disappointment with not getting BBB through. That may moderate a bit with the IRA bill. Beyond that, I think there's a lot of evidence that people think the overall direction of the economy is pretty bad because of how much coverage inflation has gotten, even though job growth continues to hold up very well.

Yeah - I feel that if Biden addressed student loans, his poll numbers would rise significantly, as it seems that and inflation are really grinding peoples' gears.

8 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It doesn't matter because -- fairly or unfairly -- the buck stops at the Oval Office, just as it always has.

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

So, I'm not an enormous Biden fan at all (I don't dislike him, certainly better than a lot of other options), but like, why are his poll numbers so bad? I get he's not a "TV president" but passing the $1.9 trillion Covid Relief bill, the $1 trillion infrastructure bill, and now soon the $750 billion Inflation Reduction Act is pretty impressive isn't it given how ineffective the federal government usually is? I get that's a far cry from the original $3.5 billion Build Back Better plan that Biden campaigned on but signing three enormous bills in less than 2 years while also (poorly) ending the war in Afghanistan (still a good thing!) and handling Russia invading Ukraine pretty well tell me he's actually getting some shit done, right? Am I missing something here? While of course I want more changes, bigger changes, and faster, I mean, at least major bills are getting passed and stuff right? Seems strange, I expected a lot less out of Biden. 

He and Congress have been extremely productive. There are many theories following poll numbers and national/world events -- there was a bit of a decrease with the Delta COVID wave Summer 2021, and then a crash after the Afghanistan withdrawal. And then high gas prices in the fall and high inflation overall becoming a constant story in the spring. Wade is right because, while most reasons for inflation have nothing to do with Biden (inflation, rate hikes, global oil prices are affecting everyone worldwide, and the Recovery Act, while it probably contributed a little, was necessary to charge the sagging economy when Trump left office), people will either blame the president or expect him to fix it immediately.

As @Ricofoley said, his approval with young people is bad. I think climate change and student loans are two big issues for them, so if he forgives student loan debt by the end of the month as is heavily speculated, plus the Inflation Reduction Act's climate change provisions, that could improve his standing with and motivate young voters.

To be honest, his whole campaign about working across the aisle.... actually has been working, between the first piece of gun safety since the 1990s, voiding NDAs dealing with sexual assault. reforming the USPS (which is also why 40% of the new fleet, at least, will be electric now), boosting semiconductor chip production for phones/cars/computers/video game consoles in America, reinstating the Violence Against Women Act, helping veterans through the PACT Act, a massive infrastructure bill (which will create charging stations coast to coast on American highways), and let's not forget outpacing Trump on judicial appointments.

The irony is Trump ran on fixing crumbling infrastructure and building things in America, yet Biden's the one actually doing it. As @ManUtdRedDevils says constantly, he's getting shit done, and he was, like, our #15 of people many of us wanted in the primaries.

joe biden politics GIF by America Rising PAC

• True 3

37 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

The irony is Trump ran on fixing crumbling infrastructure and building things in America, yet Biden's the one actually doing it. As @ManUtdRedDevils says constantly, he's getting shit done, and he was, like, our #15 of people many of us wanted in the primaries.

joe biden politics GIF by America Rising PAC

Biden is getting shit done while dealing with Manchin, Sinema, and the rest of the dysfunction. His bills aren’t perfect, but they are more good than bad. I think he is doing his part to show why people should be voting for a functional government and president. 

• True 2

Just now, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Biden is getting shit done while dealing with Manchin, Sinema, and the rest of the dysfunction. His bills aren’t perfect, but they are more good than bad. I think he is doing his part to show why people should be voting for a functional government and president. 

Manchin/Sinema in a 50/50 Senate on top of that. I'm still impressed he got something as large as the American Rescue Plan and Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act with those margins, whereas we only received a smaller stimulus with 59 votes in 2009 and no infrastructure (though that was with a Republican House and then a full Republican Congress so I can't hold that against Obama). Not that Obama didn't get some big things done himself, but gee zuz, there's no room for Dem no votes in the Senate.

I feel it's a lot easier to say, "Look what we got with 50/50 and less than a dozen seat advantage in the House and imagine what we could do with a bigger majority."

Democrats are going to try to capitalize on this bill once it's signed after the House passes it.

biden-39520.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

The president may disrupt parts of his vacation to tout legislative wins. The DNC is planning an ad blitz. Will it be enough to help Democrats at midterms?

But officials and party leaders are scrambling to try and capitalize with what is being described as a mammoth outreach effort coming well before the midterms. Several groups and party committees are lining up to begin amplifying popular aspects of the bill, with the Democratic National Committee soon launching paid TV and digital ads as well as new rounds of spots to run with Black, Latino, and Asian American and Pacific Islander outlets, officials told POLITICO. Separately, Biden-allied Building Back Together is planning to dramatically ramp up its spending on TV, digital and radio once the president signs the legislation.

Now, they are plotting how to keep Biden in the spotlight — at least intermittently — while he’s away on holiday before he begins the fall campaign in earnest. Alterations are being made to those vacation plans.

Biden chose to stay at the White House Tuesday to sign a bill subsidizing the semiconductor industry and bolstering U.S. competition with China. He’ll sign a bill on veterans’ health before leaving town on Wednesday. His aides tentatively plan to hold another signing event between two vacation stops: Kiawah Island in South Carolina and in Rehoboth Beach, Del. That ceremony, the timing of which remains influx, would hail passage of the climate and health care bill, known as the Inflation Reduction Act, through both chambers of Congress and would provide a ready-made moment for autumn campaign ads.

Democrats at the state level are zeroing in on key components of the health and climate bill. They plan to use the next month to hold events calling out Republicans out for voting against capping the cost of insulin and highlighting how the IRA would lower drug prices. Ahead of the Aug. 14 anniversary of Social Security, state parties in battlegrounds like Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Arizona will hold separate events to contrast Republican statements about sunsetting the programs with the bill’s impacts on seniors.

There's some concern that this all happened during the summer when people on average aren't paying as much attention, but there's still hope of getting unlikely voters to the polls:

While there remains some fear that Biden’s standing in polls may not budge much because of persistently high inflation and the sour national mood, there’s also a growing sense across the party that the health and climate bill could help turn out young people and other first-time Biden voters in 2020 by going directly to what was inhibiting participation, namely disappointment over the lack of action on Capitol Hill. As one senior party official put it: “It helps to have the positive case to go with the negative case Democrats are making against Republicans.”

52 minutes ago, Jason said:
PXQSJRBIGNDZTPFEJ7KKFM323E.jpg&w=1200
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

This is the antiquated system the IRS uses to process millions of tax returns each year.

They’re actually implementing a digitalization strategy and moving a lot of their manual processes to an electronic one. The money will help them migrate more stuff from paper to digital. 

220411175141-toyota-bzr4x-electric-suv-s
WWW.CNN.COM

In June, Toyota issued a warning to owners of its BZ4X electric SUV that they should stop driving the vehicle and have it transported to a dealership because of a severe problem: the wheels could fall off while driving even after just a short time on the road.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:
WWW.CNN.COM

In June, Toyota issued a warning to owners of its BZ4X electric SUV that they should stop driving the vehicle and have it transported to a dealership because of a severe problem: the wheels could fall off while driving even after just a short time on the road.

this is the part of bill I’m most interested in too

22 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:
WWW.CNN.COM

In June, Toyota issued a warning to owners of its BZ4X electric SUV that they should stop driving the vehicle and have it transported to a dealership because of a severe...

Dark Brandon probably threatened Toyota into making only conservatives' wheels fall off. 

• Haha 1

UMOXHJBOLRIE7FWZKMONT7TCB4.jpg
WWW.THEGLOBEANDMAIL.COM

An earlier version of the bill would likely have put the U.S. in compliance with a key piece of a global tax deal announced by Canada and more than 130 OECD countries

tl;dr: OECD made a deal last year for all members to raise corporate tax rates to a global standard. IRA/BBB would have done this (15% rate), but it was removed to get Sinema's support, etc. As a result of the US breaking its part of the deal, Canada will go ahead and start taxing American companies with a 3% DST (digital sales tax) for online revenue generated within Canada as of 2024. However, the tax will be retroactive to all digital sales starting from 2022. This will likely set off some kind of online trade war.

30 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:
WWW.THEGLOBEANDMAIL.COM

An earlier version of the bill would likely have put the U.S. in compliance with a key piece of a global tax deal announced by Canada and more than 130 OECD countries

tl;dr: OECD made a deal last year for all members to raise corporate tax rates to a global standard. IRA/BBB would have done this (15% rate), but it was removed to get Sinema's support, etc. As a result of the US breaking its part of the deal, Canada will go ahead and start taxing American companies with a 3% DST (digital sales tax) for online revenue generated within Canada as of 2024. However, the tax will be retroactive to all digital sales starting from 2022. This will likely set off some kind of online trade war.

Guess it’s time to mint some NFTs of the White House on fire.

Just now, marioandsonic said:

Now my head hurts.

I don't understand things.

Currently, all manufacturers qualify for the tax credit until it sells X amount of cars. GM and Tesla have sold enough cars to no longer qualify, but companies like Kia and Hyundai still do.

When this new legislature passes, the credit won’t be based on X units sold, but on if the car and battery are made in America. This will impact foreign car brands from qualifying. 

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Currently, all manufacturers qualify for the tax credit until it sells X amount of cars. GM and Tesla have sold enough cars to no longer qualify, but companies like Kia and Hyundai still do.

When this new legislature passes, the credit won’t be based on X units sold, but on if the car and battery are made in America. This will impact foreign car brands from qualifying. 

That's what I've read, yes.  I was think of a Chevy Bolt.  Are you saying that it won't qualify, regardless of when I got it?

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:
WWW.THEGLOBEANDMAIL.COM

I thought IRA did make the minimum corporate tax rate 15%? I felt like I was reading that was the case after it passed the Senate? I know Sinema got exemptions for her precious private equity firms but not more?