Update: Laphonza Butler sworn-in as Dianne Feinstein's replacement in the Senate

“Where am I going?” she could be heard asking, as she slowly settled into the wheelchair. Her hand was visibly trembling as she took her seat.

“I’ve got something in my eye,” she said, as her eye appeared bloodshot.

645bf78b2700006200be5023.jpeg?cache=AlRh
WWW.HUFFPOST.COM

The ailing California Democrat appeared at the Capitol to cast a vote amid a prolonged bout with shingles that left her needing a wheelchair.

This is so fuckin' grim, man.

• Guillotine 1

4 minutes ago, Chris- said:

So, uh, how old would Joe be by 2028?

There have been whispers about her starting to get dementia for like a decade now right? I know it can happen suddenly sometimes but he doesn't give off dementia signs yet.

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Our government is so fucked up. 

My Mamaw is 87 and dementia is really starting to take hold and my family is struggling with the decision to put her in a nursing home. These people should not be responsible for the running of this country. 

That's the thing, when someone gets dementia it can happen *fast.* I remember when my grandma started to slip. She went from (outwardly, at least) being sharp as a tack to not remembering where Georgia was (where I was living at the time) in the span of 2-3 months.

• Hugs 1

2 hours ago, Jason said:

There have been whispers about her starting to get dementia for like a decade now right? I know it can happen suddenly sometimes but he doesn't give off dementia signs yet.

Not to mention not everybody ages the same. You're not guaranteed to get dementia; it's not a natural part of aging.

11 hours ago, Nokra said:

The people around her and enabling her are far worse, in my mind, than she is herself. Self awareness would also go a long way though. :tired:

The Senate is really run by staffers. There are exceptions, but a lot of the time it's just staffers doing all the work while the senator just comes to vote once in a while.

• Guillotine 1

8 minutes ago, elbobo said:

honest question here, is she even cognitively able enough to resign at this point? Is there a 25th amendment like device for senators?

Just keep doing takes on a video camera until she successfully reads a resignation statement, at this point that seems more ethical than letting this keep going. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's truly shocking/nauseating that absolutely nothing can be done to hold someone accountable for what is clearly a situation of an elder being taken advantage of.

Yeah this is just incredibly gross at this point.

• True 1