Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I personally was too old for it at the time. It never interested me like the LOTR did around that time. I understand it's very popular and quality stuff but I'll never see or read any of it. Thankfully the game is not based on any stories from the books and movies. 

Not too old for it! I watched them in my 30s

• Sicko 1
  • Halal 2

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

I personally was too old for it at the time. It never interested me like the LOTR did around that time. I understand it's very popular and quality stuff but I'll never see or read any of it. Thankfully the game is not based on any stories from the books and movies. 

Same here... it was always something I felt like I could enjoy with my nieces and nephews or my own kids at some point. I was always aware of it and always had plans to binge all the movies at some point. At the time there wasn't a lot in a franchise about a children's story about little British White Kids at a magic school that appealed to a young black man who was enjoying young adulthood in NYC, sorry if that "offends" some folks :shrug:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Same here... it was always something I felt like I could enjoy with my nieces and nephews or my own kids at some point. I was always aware of it and always had plans to binge all the movies at some point. At the time there wasn't a lot in a franchise about a children's story about little British White Kids at a magic school that appealed to a young black man who was enjoying young adulthood in NYC, sorry if that "offends" some folks :shrug:

Not at all. 

For me, I grew up with the series. By the time it hit (iirc) the 4th book, Harry was basically the same age as me. The actors who play them ARE the same age as me give or take a year. The last book came out when I was like 16.

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It would be interesting to hear your perspective on them in this day and age. That being said the movies don't really get good until The Prisoner of Azkaban.

• 3 weeks later...

This is bullshit:

Hogwarts-Legacy-Delay_12-13-22.jpg
WWW.GEMATSU.COM

Publisher Warner Bros. Games and developer Avalanche Software have delayed the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of Hogwarts Legacy from their previously planned February 10, 2023...

This was going to be my birthday game, but not anymore. Since they’ve been developing all versions of the game at the same time, I don’t know why the last gen versions are being delayed while the current gen ones aren’t. But at least they didn’t cancel the last gen versions like they did with Gotham Knights.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

This is bullshit:

WWW.GEMATSU.COM

Publisher Warner Bros. Games and developer Avalanche Software have delayed the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of Hogwarts Legacy from their previously planned February 10, 2023...

This was going to be my birthday game, but not anymore. Since they’ve been developing all versions of the game at the same time, I don’t know why the last gen versions are being delayed while the current gen ones aren’t. But at least they didn’t cancel the last gen versions like they did with Gotham Knights.

Let's just hope they release a stable playable game on PS4. This game seems massive with a ton of detail.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, TheLeon said:

Yeah, just going by those release dates, my guess is that they’re just having a hard time getting it running well on older hardware. Really curious to see what the Switch version looks like. 

If there’s a Switch version then they shouldn’t be having a hard time getting it to run well on PS4 and Xbox One, because if it couldn’t run well on them then it wouldn’t be able to run at all on Switch.

5 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

If there’s a Switch version then they shouldn’t be having a hard time getting it to run well on PS4 and Xbox One, because if it couldn’t run well on them then it wouldn’t be able to run at all on Switch.

It will look like vaseline is smeared all over your tv when playing the PS4 version. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

They are probably about even since they have to target the base systems which were underpowered when they launched at the time.

6 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Well the Switch version got delayed even more, so it must be really rough. But also, it really seems like the kind of game that would only be on Switch via the cloud, so who knows what’s going on with it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I mean Bill Gates infuses the water with micro chips in order to brainwash people into smuggling fentyal up their asses when they come home from spring break and I still use windows so I just bought it for $42 the other day from cdkeys, that felt like the proper move.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Hogwarts Legacy (PC/Xbox/PlayStation - 10 February 2023, Switch - "later") - update: "Official Cinematic Trailer"
On 12/31/2022 at 12:58 PM, Phaseknox said:

This is bullshit:

WWW.GEMATSU.COM

Correct, it is bullshit. Instead of delaying, companies should just cancel last gen versions.

Already bought it for ps5 though. Feb 7!!!

I don't have a perfect rubric for the point I feel comfortable supporting something that would benefit a person or organization that I find objectionable, but for me this game passes that test. If it were Rowling's brainchild and pushed the agendas that she does, that would be a different story, but it certainly doesn't seem like that's the case. If reviews show differently, I'd avoid it regardless of if she would profit or not, but I haven't gotten that impression from the previews I've seen.

If I really started parsing my media consumption by what terrible people were profiting from my support, I'd probably see a lot fewer films, buy fewer games, and definitely would have to stop watching F1 and the NFL.

All that said, as someone with no significant affinity for the IP, this game actually looks pretty good. I wrote it off as soon as it was announced as something I wouldn't care for, but as a fan of well crafted single player games, it has garnered my attention. If the reviews and impressions come back positive, I think I'll give it a go.

Yeah they're pretty nuts over there and abandon all reason when the discussion is about any kind of marginalized group. Though of course they're not going to ban discussion on Netflix even though they continue to support Chappelle. Harry Potter is just an easier target than all of Netflix. Funny enough, I just got a month ban because I thought it was silly that one of the reasons Games Done Quick moved to online rather than the venue in Florida, is because of the safety for their LGBTQ community. Florida is a shithole, but they're not rounding up LGBTQ people and executing them.

Anyway, Harry Potter is bigger than Rowling, and there's no reason the fandom can't take it back from her. She's going to make money one way or another, either from royalties or if WB buys her out. She's set for life and will probably use her wealth to continue to spread hate, regardless if you support Harry Potter or not. Now if she writes more books or more screenplays, a boycott completely makes sense.

14 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

She's going to make money one way or another, either from royalties or if WB buys her out. She's set for life and will probably use her wealth to continue to spread hate, regardless if you support Harry Potter or not. Now if she writes more books or more screenplays, a boycott completely makes sense.

this is where i am at as well.  not buying a game that she will probably make very little compared to movie royalties and shit is not gonna stop her bullshit

22 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Anyway, Harry Potter is bigger than Rowling, and there's no reason the fandom can't take it back from her.

There are absolutely plenty of reasons why the fandom cannot do this while she is alive and profiting from the IP, even if they had the will to, which they do not.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm diving in... my first intro into the Potter-verse.

I don’t know why this is surprising to me, but this is surprising to me 

17 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm diving in... my first intro into the Potter-verse.

I will be interested to get your thoughts. For a lot of people, it will be getting to finally be their own witch/wizard getting explore their favorite locations. For you it will some dork in a gown running up a bunch of stairs.

• Haha 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Hogwarts Legacy (PC/Xbox/PlayStation - 10 February 2023, Switch - "later") - update: "Official Launch Trailer"