Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

3 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Ugh, there isn’t a ton of content in that deluxe edition. Do I really want to spend an extra $10 to get the game a few day earlier? Tuesday and Wednesday are my days off, so… yeah, I probably do. :sickos:

Yeah same here... The only reason i would get the deluxe edition would be to play the game earlier. The PS% version has extra content too so while I'd normally ger most third party games on Xbox, seriously thinking about getting this for the PS5.

46 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah same here... The only reason i would get the deluxe edition would be to play the game earlier. The PS% version has extra content too so while I'd normally ger most third party games on Xbox, seriously thinking about getting this for the PS5.

Well maybe I will get the deluxe edition because I'm a

:sickos:

1 minute ago, Remarkableriots said:
hogwarts-legacy-judgement-free.jpg
GAMERANT.COM

The upcoming Harry Potter game, Hogwarts Legacy features a judgment-free world that doesn't makes sense considering what players can do in it.

I'll wait until it hits PS+ if this is true.

I’m surprised that would change anyone’s mind on this game! Just seems like someone’s random rant, they started talking about goblin wars and I checked out

"The main scheme of the primary antagonist is to kidnap the player character, and harvest their blood for a spell that will wipe out his enemies while aligned with a number of dark wizards. While the narrative is somewhat problematic..."

I knew JK was off her rocker and the devs of the game weren't far behind, but I didn't know the game was literally incorporating the blood libel into the primary conflict.

• Halal 1

Just now, Moa said:

"The main scheme of the primary antagonist is to kidnap the player character, and harvest their blood for a spell that will wipe out his enemies while aligned with a number of dark wizards. While the narrative is somewhat problematic..."

I knew JK was off her rocker and the devs of the game weren't far behind, but I didn't know the game was literally incorporating the blood libel into the primary conflict.

The goblins in HP are obvious stand ins for Jewish stereotypes and the game apparently revolves around them teaming up with evil wizards to take over the world. Shit is completely unhinged.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

The goblins in HP are obvious stand ins for Jewish stereotypes and the game apparently revolves around them teaming up with evil wizards to take over the world. Shit is completely unhinged.

Right, I had just always thought of the antisemitism in Harry Potter as the vague stereotypical stuff that is pretty endemic to the fantasy genre where different races tend to be stand ins for real world cultures, ethnicities, and religions. I'm definitely being too charitable with my phrasing here, but I won't spend too much time finding the right way to put it since I'm about to get less charitable.

The blood libel is a lot more specific, obscure, and harmful. It's been used to justify murdering Jews for thousands of years, and the inclusion of anything remotely resembling it in something that is already clearly engaging in antisemetic tropes is hard to interpret as anything other than deliberate hate.

• True 2

1 hour ago, Moa said:

I knew JK was off her rocker and the devs of the game weren't far behind, but I didn't know the game was literally incorporating the blood libel into the primary conflict.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Holy cow - that's the blood libel practically word-for-word.

• Halal 1

46 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:
hogwarts-legacy-judgement-free.jpg
GAMERANT.COM

The upcoming Harry Potter game, Hogwarts Legacy features a judgment-free world that doesn't makes sense considering what players can do in it.

I'll wait until it hits PS+ if this is true.

This reads to me like "there's a chance this story is bad or doesn't make sense depending on the story they decide to tell and how the game is designed."  Which, well, yeah, that's true, but until we actually know the story or how the choices are done in game it's pretty hard to come to a conclusion.

I'm no Potter nerd, but I do know that there have been some evil wizards going to Hogwarts. If they want to make a game where you can be a bad dude, I don't think that necessarily breaks anything in the universe. Hell, if I remember correctly, we're introduced to the bad curses by a teacher using them in class. I understand the circumstances going on there, but it's certainly not the case that using an unforgivable curse equals life in prison.

My concern is more that morality choices in games are rarely done well.

I also expect this game to feature some pretty significant ludonarrative dissonance, but that's far from a deal breaker for me if the game is fun.

54 minutes ago, stepee said:

I guess ai have a hard time connecting the fantasy narrative which doesn’t seem that far off from standard fantasy narrative with the actual hate behind the creator because it comes across as so standard.

It does look bad when you put it that way!

This has never been subtle:

894kwalativ51.png

25 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Holy cow - that's the blood libel practically word-for-word.

It really is. The game’s not out but assuming the plot is what has been teased, it’s wild.

1 hour ago, Moa said:

The main scheme of the primary antagonist is to kidnap the player character, and harvest their blood for a spell that will wipe out his enemies while aligned with a number of dark wizards.

With no other context, that sounds awesome. If this was tied to a Souls-like it would be an insta-buy. "BB2: Escape from New Yharnam"

15 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

This has never been subtle:

894kwalativ51.png

It really is. The game’s not out but assuming the plot is what has been teased, it’s wild.

I think it’s just, especially when I watched them and before JK made it a point to make sure that everyone knew something was wrong, I wasn’t looking for that. Like no way would I notice that without that picture with a circle around it and then put it together. 

It’s just not a series I ever thought deeper about than the pure surface level which came across as pretty standard fantasy fare.

27 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

That description is so very specific in its details that it can't be anything but a conscious decision by someone who is well-versed with the blood libel to incorporate it (barely disguised!) into the game.  There is no way in hell that's a coincidence.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Whoa, whoa. What is being said about the game? I don't have time to read that article.

Can someone summarize what the issue is? I would be really upset if this doesn't do well. 

Long story short JK is a piece of shit transphobe anti semite - and it seems like too many of her unseemly parallels she placed into the world are present in this game to the extent it makes it sus that the devs wouldn’t be aware.

It doesn’t necessarily mean it will be a bad game, but it’s an even more morally difficult product to consume than most releases.

I used videogamer math and came up with my personal solution of buying a key on the grey market and making donations to charities that work to counter the harm that people like her do. 

• Thanks 1