Microsoft/Activision Blizzard Acquisition - Information Thread, update: The Deal Has Closed

Bacon

1 minute ago, johnny said:

I think in the short term it could be helpful to Sony since so many people already have their consoles. but long term I only see it going badly. 

More content is never a bad thing. Why would I buy an xbox if I can get GP on PS5?

Microsoft doesn't care about console sales, only Gamepass. Sony cares about console sales. 

24 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

More content is never a bad thing. Why would I buy an xbox if I can get GP on PS5?

Microsoft doesn't care about console sales, only Gamepass. Sony cares about console sales. 

i just think eventually you'll get people leaving playstation anyway. Maybe not this gen, but generations down the line for sure. That's why I think they need to focus on their own thing. 

10 minutes ago, johnny said:

i just think eventually you'll get people leaving playstation anyway. Maybe not this gen, but generations down the line for sure. That's why I think they need to focus on their own thing. 

My brother started on XBox and then went PS/PC when the PS4 was released. Now he’s back to XSX/PC and it’s all mainly because of gamepass. He’s a dad now, along with a couple of his buddies and this works perfectly for them. If they can put it on PS4/5, I know several newer PS5 owners who would love to play Forza Horizon 5 and Halo on their system. My one manager wants an XBox just to drive the newest Bronco in FH5

53 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

How could it possibly be bad?

Must have ps+ to get gamepass because of online. Sony gets to keep engagement from CoD, instead of people abandoning Sony for Xbox by the millions throughout this generation, and they sell millions of exclusives.

There is absolutely no situation where it is bad for Sony, aside from their pride. 

Royalties from lost game sales on their platform.  It would have to be a very sweet deal / gun-to-the head threat for Sony to give that up.  They’d rather have their own competing subscription if anything, where they set the terms.

But this is Microsoft essentially buying out a huge chunk of the industry here.

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Sony cares about software revenue.  They get that from royalties from selling 3rd party games, subscriptions and selling 1st party games.

Having GamePass on their system would likely hurt those revenue streams.

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Sony cares about software revenue.  They get that from royalties from selling 3rd party games, subscriptions and selling 1st party games.

Having GamePass on their system would likely hurt those revenue streams.

They also care about selling consoles so those console owners buy games on the PlayStation platform. If MS continues buying up major IP like this, Sony will start losing hardware market share. If the only way they can keep these major franchises on their platform is by allowing GamePass, there is certainly the possibility that it is in their best interest even if they don’t get the $$ from the GamePass subs directly. 

We also already see different content between PC and Xbox GamePass, so I could envision a scenario where Sony and MS agree to keep PlayStation GamePass limited to titles not natively available on the PlayStation store, or possibly just a smaller selection.

I would also guess that Sony would be able to secure micro transaction/DLC revenue split for PlayStation users on GamePass titles.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

They also care about selling consoles so those console owners buy games on the PlayStation platform. If MS continues buying up major IP like this, Sony will start losing hardware market share. If the only way they can keep these major franchises on their platform is by allowing GamePass, there is certainly the possibility that it is in their best interest even if they don’t get the $$ from the GamePass subs directly. 

We also already see different content between PC and Xbox GamePass, so I could envision a scenario where Sony and MS agree to keep PlayStation GamePass limited to titles not natively available on the PlayStation store, or possibly just a smaller selection.

I would also guess that Sony would be able to secure micro transaction/DLC revenue split for PlayStation users on GamePass titles.

I think we're splitting hairs here.  They only care about selling consoles insomuch as having a larger user base enables them to collect more money on subscriptions/royalties/game sales.

Adding GamePass to PS5 -- where Xbox keeps all the subscription fees doesn't make any sense.  If MS proposed something that resulted in Sony getting more revenue than they would otherwise get, I can see them agreeing to something.

TBH, I think it would be far more likely for Sony to launch their own similar service, rather than let GamePass on their console.

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Is it?  I haven't been following it closely, and I've heard that it will offer some range of included games.  Have sources suggested that it will include Sony's AAA games at launch?

I am not sure but posts i have seen on resetera seem to indicate no to new releases at launch.

30 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I don't think that's been part of the discussion, at least that I'm aware of.

yeah i dont think there's much information on it, but that just wouldnt make sense with what Sony's strategy has been. However I could see something like it going to their version of gamepass after a year and possibly getting a discount on the game if you have gamepass. 

I would expect their gamepass to have almost every playstation exclusive at least from the ps4 and PS5 (that aren't "new")

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

If they could strike a deal to only have specific games from xbox be available on playstation (like CoD), I think it could be beneficial to both sides in the long term. 

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I think we're splitting hairs here.  They only care about selling consoles insomuch as having a larger user base enables them to collect more money on subscriptions/royalties/game sales.

Adding GamePass to PS5 -- where Xbox keeps all the subscription fees doesn't make any sense.  If MS proposed something that resulted in Sony getting more revenue than they would otherwise get, I can see them agreeing to something.

TBH, I think it would be far more likely for Sony to launch their own similar service, rather than let GamePass on their console.

It isn’t splitting hairs at all. Are you familiar with the idea of a loss leader? Sometimes business will give product away for *below* their own cost to get people in the door for all the other things they sell.

If Sony loses substantial hardware market share, they aren’t just losing out on CoD sales, they are losing out on all lifetime revenue generated by the users who leave the platform.

If keeping a premiere title on their platform keeps users buying hardware and staying in their eco system, it isn’t out of the question that they would take a technically bad deal on GamePass to shore up their lineup for hardware sales reasons.

Another thing to consider here is how Sony allows other media services to have their apps on Sony devices even though Sony gets none of the revenue from their subscriptions. The reason for this is exactly the same as why they would potentially have GamePass on their platform, and it is because they want you turning on their box and engaging with them for as many hours a day as possible. They want more opportunities to show you ads for their products and services. Keeping your attention on their platform, even when you’re doing a particular activity that doesn’t generate revenue for them, is a major goal. They want entertainment in the home to be synonymous with the PlayStation brand.

Obviously their preference would be to continue cashing royalty checks on these titles, but that doesn’t mean there is no business incentive to allow the games on the platform even if they don’t get a cut of GamePass money. AFAIK, none of the platforms get a per unit royalty on F2P titles, yet they love having Warzone and Fortnite on their platforms for the micro transaction revenue. I don’t think GamePass for PlayStation would get rid of those revenue streams.

6 hours ago, johnny said:

If they could strike a deal to only have specific games from xbox be available on playstation (like CoD), I think it could be beneficial to both sides in the long term. 

I just really don't get how you think having a neutered gamepass is good for sony or consumers. 

If its a choice between no new AB games, and Gamepass, the smart choice is clearly gamepass. Sony won't do it out of pride, but it would be a damn stupid move not to.

I know that in one day, my recommendation to friends went from, "Gamepass is great, but Sony still has the best games", to "Series X is the clear choice".

And it's not just CoD. The list of amazing IP's activision owns is long and illustrious. If I could have only bought one console it would have been ps5, and Id be kicking myself right now.

Sony has great IP's, but not great enough to overcome Activision/Blizzard/Bethesda all suddenly becoming exclusive.

"This is how you share games on Playstation" isn't going to work this time.

2 hours ago, Brick said:

Phil Spencer really is the best thing to happen to Xbox since, well possibly ever! The way he's turned the company around since the early, and rather embarrassing days of the Xbox One when Don Mattrick was in charge is to be applauded.

“wE cAn’T mAkE xBoX oNe NoT oNlInE aLl ThE tImE”

*one week later*
”Hey, guys, it’s not always online and you can buy used games now”

13 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I just really don't get how you think having a neutered gamepass is good for sony or consumers. 

If its a choice between no new AB games, and Gamepass, the smart choice is clearly gamepass. Sony won't do it out of pride, but it would be a damn stupid move not to.

I don’t agree with this at all. The end game for MS is that ubiquitous platform in which they profit regardless of hardware. Sony would be actively participating in their own demise from the industry if they allowed game pass to exist on the PlayStation. At best they could hope to produce hardware FOR Microsoft if things go how they seem to be inevitably going. 

Sony needs to carve out its own niche and make its hardware worth owning without whatever Microsoft is becoming, if they actually want to exist as a major gaming platform. I believe if you combine MS + AB they still do not equal the revenue that Sony brings in yearly as a gaming division. So it’s not like it’s not possible. I just think they might have to go a different route than the “let’s try to make our own game pass” thing, which it seems like they’re gonna try. 

I guess I could see a future where streaming tech becomes so good that in a way the ubiquitous nature of game pass (like, say it’s on fuckin EVERYTHING - sans like the Nintendo and Sony consoles - and works really well) actually becomes a selling point for a Sony platform. 

Like ok that’s great and everyone pays like $20 a month or whatever for game pass akin to how everyone and their mom pays for Netflix now, but Sony is out there doing stuff that’s interesting enough to keep people buying their hardware. I dunno. 

Regardless what happens Sony is in a tough spot. 

I can't comment weather this is good for the gaming community but I can say that Microsoft now owns my 2 most favorite developers ever! It's crazy to think about really. I was shocked when they bought Bethesda, but THIS, THIS is the MOTHER ship. This puts Microsoft in the drivers seat and just really shows there commitment to their platform moving forward. There's no way around it, this had to shake up the Sony headquarters. I love Sony, Hell I just love gaming. I own most consoles given the chance {Can I get a PS5 PLZ!!} Game pass really feels like it's the future now too. We'll see if it's sustainable @10.99 / 14.99 a month. For me the price seems almost to good to be true right now even at the top tier 14.99 I pay. This service has saved me several hundreds of dollars already. I don't think that Game pass is Microsoft's way of saving us money, or just trying to do the right thing...lol, no far from it. Only thing that gives me pause is will Developers AAA titles kind of just get lost in the Game pass eco system now? It's just been one year, I'm pretty Excited to own a Series X and watch this all pan out from the comfort of my couch . . . 

On 1/20/2022 at 1:31 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Extensive interview with Phil from Gene Park in the Washington Post

EYJX4US42BAM5HHK4KLOPPFK5U.png&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The newly minted Microsoft Gaming CEO discussed how his company plans to approach its new intellectual properties and its employees.

"You can play any Acti-Blizz game on Playstation, but all the cool skins will be Xbox exclusive."

For all for sub-18 year olds out there, that's Game. Set. Match.

On 1/20/2022 at 5:44 PM, Spork3245 said:

Because it’s only available in one terrible color at launch?

It was available in black too.

11 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I don’t agree with this at all. The end game for MS is that ubiquitous platform in which they profit regardless of hardware. Sony would be actively participating in their own demise from the industry if they allowed game pass to exist on the PlayStation. At best they could hope to produce hardware FOR Microsoft if things go how they seem to be inevitably going. 

Sony needs to carve out its own niche and make its hardware worth owning without whatever Microsoft is becoming, if they actually want to exist as a major gaming platform. I believe if you combine MS + AB they still do not equal the revenue that Sony brings in yearly as a gaming division. So it’s not like it’s not possible. I just think they might have to go a different route than the “let’s try to make our own game pass” thing, which it seems like they’re gonna try. 

You're wrong.

MS only cares about GP.

Sony will still sell millions of exclusives with Gamepass on their console. 

Without it  they will lose millions of console sales, AND millions of software sales. Sony cannot compete with MS. They are a plaything next to a trillion dollar company like MS. Sony can't afford to buy huge publishers. Without Gamepass, ps5 sales will slow down drastically. Only the biggest fanboys are going to pick PS5 over Gamepass when this deal is done. 

A lot of people don't understand how important Activision Blizzard was as a 3rd party dev. Tens of millions of people WILL abandon Sony for MS if they don't accept Gamepass on playstation. And there is no good reason not to. 

21 hours ago, Brick said:

Phil Spencer really is the best thing to happen to Xbox since, well possibly ever! The way he's turned the company around since the early, and rather embarrassing days of the Xbox One when Don Mattrick was in charge is to be applauded.

Have u watched Power On ,the Xbox Documentary on Youtube.  Mattrick is on it quite a bit.

Also, Satya Nadella has beem a huge benefit to Xbox because he believes in Phil.

I think Sony was overly aggressive purseuing 3rd party timed deals because they never anticipated Nadella backing up the Brinks Truck like he has for Xbox.  Thats the biggest difference, Microsoft leadership is all in on gaming now.

6 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Have u watched Power On ,the Xbox Documentary on Youtube.  Mattrick is on it quite a bit.

Also, Satya Nadella has beem a huge benefit to Xbox because he believes in Phil.

I think Sony was overly aggressive purseuing 3rd party timed deals because they never anticipated Nadella backing up the Brinks Truck like he has for Xbox.  Thats the biggest difference, Microsoft leadership is all in on gaming now.

I really need to check that out.

7 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

You're wrong.

MS only cares about GP.

Sony will still sell millions of exclusives with Gamepass on their console. 

Without it  they will lose millions of console sales, AND millions of software sales. Sony cannot compete with MS. They are a plaything next to a trillion dollar company like MS. Sony can't afford to buy huge publishers. Without Gamepass, ps5 sales will slow down drastically. Only the biggest fanboys are going to pick PS5 over Gamepass when this deal is done. 

A lot of people don't understand how important Activision Blizzard was as a 3rd party dev. Tens of millions of people WILL abandon Sony for MS if they don't accept Gamepass on playstation. And there is no good reason not to. 

You’re jumping to simple, massive conclusions without a lot of nuance to them. 

We don’t have their numbers of where most of their revenue comes in. We do know for certain Sony has been the stingiest by far of the companies with things like crossplay, and a primary reason for that is the cut they get when people buy content on their store - not just exclusive games, but DLC and multiplatform games and essentially anything that is sold through their store. 

THAT is why MS “only cares about game pass,” THAT is why there is a massive legal battle between epic and apple, THAT is why Sony is reluctant to even allow their games to play nice with other platform versions. Just at least open yourself to the possibility that even losing “millions in console sales and exclusives,” they would still be better off holding on to their financial power in that way. And that’s besides the point where there’s so much context we don’t know yet: ie will MS actually withhold call of duty or any number of unknown factors. 

Sony will not allow game pass on their machine until they have determined there’s absolutely no other choice. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Sony will not allow game pass on their machine until they have determined there’s absolutely no other choice. 

More accurately, they won’t do it unless it is in their financial interest to do so.