Microsoft/Activision Blizzard Acquisition - Information Thread, update: The Deal Has Closed

Bacon

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

This is all well and good until you remember we are dealing with Sony, which has blocked cross play and compatibility cross platform specially because they wanted a higher cut than companies were willing to pay. 

Agreed. But thats an incredibly dominant Sony. That changed this week.

And to be clear, again, I don't think Sony will allow it. But, I also think this is the end of Sony being the dominant platform. The market had a titanic shift this week. Obviously nothing will change overnight, but its impossible to overestimate AB's effect on the industry. They are by far the biggest publisher in the world. Their Market Cap is bigger than some countries gross gdp.

3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Agreed. But thats an incredibly dominant Sony. That changed this week.

And to be clear, again, I don't think Sony will allow it. But, I also think this is the end of Sony being the dominant platform. The market had a titanic shift this week. Obviously nothing will change overnight, but its impossible to overestimate AB's effect on the industry. They are by far the biggest publisher in the world. Their Market Cap is bigger than some countries gross gdp.

I agree with this. I was surprised to learn however that Sony is still the second biggest player in the gaming space in terms of revenue even if you combine AB and MS’s revenue.

We’ll just have to see and the deal isn’t gonna be done until 2023 it seems so it’s gonna be a while before we truly see the effects of this. I don’t honestly know what I want. I’ve always wanted an ecosystem in which I can play with my friends on other platforms so we didn’t have to align on our hardware purchases. That’s a real thing that actually keeps me from interacting with some of my close friends as much as I’d like. The cross play advancements are nice but it’s like 4 steps removed from being consistently helpful. 

I guess even when I think of how streaming services have gotten so far up their own ass on the video content end of things, I’d still pick how it is now vs when I was a kid. Though I am sort of oddly nostalgic for the monoculture, which is another conversation entirely. 

15 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I agree with this. I was surprised to learn however that Sony is still the second biggest player in the gaming space in terms of revenue even if you combine AB and MS’s revenue.

We’ll just have to see and the deal isn’t gonna be done until 2023 it seems so it’s gonna be a while before we truly see the effects of this. I don’t honestly know what I want. I’ve always wanted an ecosystem in which I can play with my friends on other platforms so we didn’t have to align on our hardware purchases. That’s a real thing that actually keeps me from interacting with some of my close friends as much as I’d like. The cross play advancements are nice but it’s like 4 steps removed from being consistently helpful. 

I guess even when I think of how streaming services have gotten so far up their own ass on the video content end of things, I’d still pick how it is now vs when I was a kid. Though I am sort of oddly nostalgic for the monoculture, which is another conversation entirely. 

Ya, things are more of a zeitgeist now. Huge, very short cultural moments. Uf you aren't a part of them, they lose their lustre when you watch/play them later. It's a strange way to consume content.

I've actually tried my best to stop binging content because I realized how much less respect qnd reverence I have for stuff when I do. Their flaws become even more glaring.

Either way, im glad I have both consoles, because the amount of amazing games coming out is incredible. To the point there isn't enough time to play them all.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chris- said:

Then why even ask me to begin with? I would not like to know, this conservation only started because you asked.

Because I was curious what compelled you to go with an S over an X?
You make a post on a public forum and then are upset someone asks a question…? Who hurt you? None of my replies had any ill intent.

50 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You make a post on a public forum and then are upset someone asks a question…? Who hurt you? None of my replies had any ill intent.

He did his own research on the Xbox Series S. Don't be a snowflake about it! :nottalking:

• Guillotine 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Right, and I answered that question; then you alluded to knowing more without saying anything worthwhile. Which is why I said if there is a reason to consider then say it (otherwise you are just teasing out information, which is annoying and pointless). 

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Possibly.

I'm not sure if that data includes the revenue from Bethesda in the combined Microsoft/Activision Blizzard figures.  If not, then the Bethesda revenue might push them into the #2 slot ahead of Sony.

18 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I’m pretty sure Microsoft was a distant third last gen and had very few 1st party releases outside of Forza that did well. It is why they are pivoting their model away from hardware sales. 

Yeah Microsoft was third place for sure last gen...but what company is #1, if not Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo?

24 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Tencent.

I figured they would be up there, but a lot of reports have conflicting info - some putting Tencent at #1, others putting Sony at #1...Nintendo at #3, Microsoft at #3 sometimes. What the definitive answer to this?

Or now that I think about it, maybe it doesn't really matter. All of these companies make a disgusting amount of money, LOL. 

1 minute ago, GameDadGrant said:

I figured they would be up there, but a lot of reports have conflicting info - some putting Tencent at #1, others putting Sony at #1...Nintendo at #3, Microsoft at #3 sometimes. What the definitive answer to this?

Or now that I think about it, maybe it doesn't really matter. All of these companies make a disgusting amount of money, LOL. 

Tencent reported $29.3 billion in revenue from gaming in 2020.

Sony reported $25.04 billion in revenue from gaming in 2020.

4 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Here is 2020 revenue. Microsoft was 4th

8 hours ago, Chris- said:

Right, and I answered that question; then you alluded to knowing more without saying anything worthwhile. Which is why I said if there is a reason to consider then say it (otherwise you are just teasing out information, which is annoying and pointless). 

I made a statement that there's more to it then a disc drive and 4k, not "teasing" anything. You could easily do your own research, oops, sorry, I forgot that "you did your own research". Lol, what is your problem, seriously? Good lord. A rational reply would be "oh, like what?" instead you were severely triggered by a post that had zero ill intent and was not meant to annoy/tease however you twisted it in your mind.

11 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I made a statement that there's more to it then a disc drive and 4k, not "teasing" anything. You could easily do your own research, oops, sorry, I forgot that "you did your own research". Lol, what is your problem, seriously? Good lord. A rational reply would be "oh, like what?" instead you were severely triggered by a post that had zero ill intent and was not meant to annoy/tease however you twisted it in your mind.

Why make the statement? I already answered your question. 

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Why make the statement? I already answered your question. 

I believe he was just throwing it out there to gauge interest. So if you didn’t want to know more he wouldn’t bother explaining because it is kind of complicated to really detail but if you did want to know more then he was willing to provide more information.

I think that’s all.

• True 2

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

I believe he was just throwing it out there to gauge interest. So if you didn’t want to know more he wouldn’t bother explaining because it is kind of complicated to really detail but if you did want to know more then he was willing to provide more information.

I think that’s all.

Certainly sounds like teasing information to me, but either way I'm not interested. 

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It sounds like he found the information he wanted to justify his decision and got mad when someone tried to "tease" him with information that disputes that.

It's a really weird blow up for him, usually pretty chill.

• True 1

19 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It sounds like he found the information he wanted to justify his decision and got mad when someone tried to "tease" him with information that disputes that.

It's a really weird blow up for him, usually pretty chill.

I don't care about having my reasoning disputed, because ultimately I don't care what anyone else thinks about it. Statements that amount to little more than 'I know something you don't know' are grating, that doesn't seem like a particularly novel perspective. Also, how is this even a blow up? He's doing mock quote posts, and I'm the one getting heated?

49 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I don't care about having my reasoning disputed, because ultimately I don't care what anyone else thinks about it. Statements that amount to little more than 'I know something you don't know' are grating, that doesn't seem like a particularly novel perspective. Also, how is this even a blow up? He's doing mock quote posts, and I'm the one getting heated?

U Mad Reaction GIF

25 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

The day the deal is finalized and COD is on Game Pass, MS needs to finally release this ad.

It’s still a great commercial because everyone is so committed, even they are aren’t. I betcha it would of passed if they had nerf guns instead of “hand guns” Although an actual gun seems possible for passing in an ad now it seems. Besides, it would be the games fault not the guns for any violence that takes place after airing 

I could see Modern Warfare III coming out only for Xbox/PC in 2025. Microsoft might want to make people who played the previous two on Playstation get an Xbox so that they can finish off the trilogy. Then from there, aside from Warzone, CoD is Xbox/PC only.