Microsoft/Activision Blizzard Acquisition - Information Thread, update: The Deal Has Closed

Bacon

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Did Phil pat the Sony executives on the head and reassure them that they're all "such good boys"?

Because that's exactly what it sounds like! 

What a flex. “Hey guys, I am gonna call Sony to reassure them that CoD will remain. Who wants to sit in on this?”

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Brick said:

Given that Phil Spencer is a huge Destiny fan, I wonder if he'll try and get Bungie back. Would Bungie want to keep their independence, or go back to Microsoft if the offer was big enough, and they were promised, "you seem to know what you're doing with Destiny, so just keep doing what you're, and we'll just help finance it" without interference like they had with Activision. If that were to happen though I would hope for the sake of Playstation users that it wouldn't go Xbox exclusive. It would be cool if Bungie was able to get support studios to help out again, and get a bigger budget. 

Is Bungie a publicly traded company? If so, it may not be up to them. Company Boards love buyouts.

Sony should really, really trying to buy Konami, or at least all rights to their properties outside of gambling machines.

17 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Something about that phrasing, “we want to,” makes me feel like very much that they will not keep it on the PlayStation hahaha. 

It means they have a bargaining chip. If Sony doesnt agree to the conditions (i.e. CoD comes to PS via Game Pass) then MS can put the ball in Sony's court and be like "Well we WANTED to, but..."

OR...

Maybe MS forces Sony to abstain from signing anymore third party exclusivity deals. Like a "if you want CoD, no more Squeenix deals"

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Is Bungie a publicly traded company? If so, it may not be up to them. Company Boards love buyouts.

Sony should really, really trying to buy Konami, or at least all rights to their properties outside of gambling machines.

Bungie is private. 

Sony is for sure looking at buying someone, whether it be Konami, Square Enix, or just a bunch more developers (I could see them buying From Software).

Sony would be incredibly dumb not to accept gamepass on PS5, hence why I don't expect it to happen. Instead they'll continue with their own service which just can't compete.

More and more, im glad I got a Series X Instead of a new video card. Sony still has my favorite games, but man, gamepass is a hell of a deal.

26 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

How would GamePass even work on PS5? Just cloud based games?

I think they would install just like xbox.  Of course they would need to be made to work on a PS5... but most of the games already work on xbox and PC and many are already available on PS5 too.  It would be work - but not anything like the PS3 days.  The ports should all be very possible.  But it would probably not be an identical service.  Not every game would be there and not everything would release at the same time.  I doubt the BC games would ever come.  Just like the differences between xbox and pc.

2 minutes ago, number305 said:

I think they would install just like xbox.  Of course they would need to be made to work on a PS5... but most of the games already work on xbox and PC and many are already available on PS5 too.  It would be work - but not anything like the PS3 days.  The ports should all be very possible.  But it would probably not be an identical service.  Not every game would be there and not everything would release at the same time.  I doubt the BC games would ever come.  Just like the differences between xbox and pc.

For third party games, sure, I'm talking about things like Forza. Unless a PS5 GP would be a unique Sony-thing.

3 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Maybe MS forces Sony to abstain from signing anymore third party exclusivity deals. Like a "if you want CoD, no more Squeenix deals"

That is incredibly illegal 

8 minutes ago, Brick said:

Has MS even made any indication they would do Game Pass on Playstation? Everyone seems to keep speculating that it will come to PS5, but is there any reason to believe that it is a possibility? 

He's done interviews in the past saying he wants to have game pass on every device.

This is back in 2018

xbox_game_pass_3.jpg
WWW.GAMESINDUSTRY.BIZ

Xbox boss hints at bold cross-platform strategy for subscription service

17 minutes ago, Brick said:

Has MS even made any indication they would do Game Pass on Playstation? Everyone seems to keep speculating that it will come to PS5, but is there any reason to believe that it is a possibility? 

Phil has said he'd be open to putting it on any device.

It also came out during the Epic vs Apple Trial, Phil had emails with Tim Sweeney saying he was still working on trying to get Game Pass on Playstation and Nintendo.  He did frame it in the context of xCloud on other consoles though.

the-verge-epic-emails-2.jpg

Maybe I'm stupid but I think Sony putting gamepass on playstation would be a terrible idea. Maybe Sony and Xbox can work out some kind of CoD only gamepass. 

I truly do think they are better off doing their own thing. Focus on their already awesome exclusives, PSVR, and maybe their own gamepass. 

16 minutes ago, johnny said:

Maybe I'm stupid but I think Sony putting gamepass on playstation would be a terrible idea. Maybe Sony and Xbox can work out some kind of CoD only gamepass. 

I truly do think they are better off doing their own thing. Focus on their already awesome exclusives, PSVR, and maybe their own gamepass. 

How could it possibly be bad?

Must have ps+ to get gamepass because of online. Sony gets to keep engagement from CoD, instead of people abandoning Sony for Xbox by the millions throughout this generation, and they sell millions of exclusives.

There is absolutely no situation where it is bad for Sony, aside from their pride. 

People who say things like this don't understand how big CoD is. Vanguard released as a mess to shit reviews, in DECEMBER, and is still the best selling game of the year. 

3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

How could it possibly be bad?

Must have ps+ to get gamepass because of online. Sony gets to keep engagement from CoD, instead of people abandoning Sony for Xbox by the millions throughout this generation, and they sell millions of exclusives.

There is absolutely no situation where it is bad for Sony, aside from their pride. 

People who say things like this don't understand how big CoD is. Vanguard released as a mess to shit reviews, in DECEMBER, and is still the best selling game of the year. 

I think in the short term it could be helpful to Sony since so many people already have their consoles. but long term I only see it going badly.