Prey (Hulu, 05 August 2022) - a Predator film set in the Comanche Nation of 1719, update: Official Trailer, option to watch film in Comanche language

Just watched this last night. It's very good. And barring some eyebrow raising moments of, "why did that happen," it's very, very good. The end conclusion to the last fight is a bit of a miss, unfortunately. But the choreography for it and every other fight is surprisingly solid. It's definitely leaps and bounds better than The Predator (the last movie that was God awful). But depending on your own tastes, it stands very solidly with parts 2 and 3 (Predators). Nothing will ever touch the first movie. But this can definitely hang with the franchise.

I watched it in the original English recording, and I'm actually kinda pumped to watch it again in the dubbed Comanche language.

41 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I liked the predator 2 easter egg, anyone else catch it? 
There’s a “kind of” after credits teaser at the end of the part of the credits with the paintings btw.

Yeah, I just showed my wife the other Predator films a month or so ago in preparation for this one (she'd never seen them) and immediately when the pistol showed up in Predator 2 I was like: "this will be in Prey" and, thankfully, it was, and it was cool. Canonizing Predator 2 is a bit strange since it takes place in an alternate "future" LA of 1995 when the real LA of 1995 wasn't quite that (though kind of was at the same time lol) but it's nice to have it canonized since Predators (the third one) only canonized the original film, not Predator 2. 

Also cool to see was the acknowledgement of the Predator healing kits and expanded weapon repertoire from Predator 2 as well. I think people forget Predator and Predator 2 were both written by the same screenwriting duo, so both are legit in that sense even though each had different directors.

11 minutes ago, Brick said:

I'm trying to watch Prey on Disney+ with the Comanche dub, but the only subtitle option is the closed caption, which also lists every sound being made. I don't really need to read [deer grunts]. That's kind of annoying. 

it’s pretty normal for them to include noises being made 

28 minutes ago, Brick said:

I'm trying to watch Prey on Disney+ with the Comanche dub, but the only subtitle option is the closed caption, which also lists every sound being made. I don't really need to read [deer grunts]. That's kind of annoying. 

Yes, it's very annoying when non-closed caption subtitles aren't an option, and it happens too much. Both should always be offered.

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yes, it's very annoying when non-closed caption subtitles aren't an option, and it happens too much. Both should always be offered.

Plus the Comanche version has some errors with the subtitles which I couldn't help but notice while watching. One character says he needs to go to the "bathroom", uh they didn't have bathrooms back then... Went and looked at that scene in the English version, and he says he needs to take a squat, and the weird thing is the subtitles in the English version are "take a squat". I guess it's translating directly from Comanche, so there are some weird translation errors when there isn't really an English word or phrase for what they're saying. For example, the one guy who says he speaks many languages, is instead subtitled as "my tongue is very smart". Also the line 

Spoiler

"If it bleeds we can kill it", has a small error where the subtitles are, "if it bleeds, we'll kill it". 

Anyways very good movie, and yeah now I just want more Predators movies with them hunting different people; vikings, samurai, Shaolin monks. 

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I had the same thought watching this last night. I couldn't help think watching this how cool a Predator movie set in pre-colonial Africa would be. Predator vs Masai or Zulus :o

Honestly this is how Predator movies should be. Forgot "expanding the lore" or whatever bullshit, just give us a Predator going against different people and/or in different scenarios. 

• Halal 1

This is the best Predator movie I've seen since the original but having comanche language only via dub is a definitely a missed opportunity I think. You can't help but wonder why it wasn't filmed in both languages since it's been done in movies before, on indie budgets no less.

I went in to it very open minded & after having had a couple days to mull it over, I feel confident that I would place this 3rd in the rankings for all of the Predator/Pred-adjacent flicks. The CGI still wasn't all that good & made me miss the practical FX all that much more. It was a solid enough story, fun kills for sure, and overall it didn't step on its own feet much so that's progress! I will say that, even if only a "limited engagement", it should have been given a theatrical release.

9 hours ago, silentbob said:

So path going forward for the franchise. Do what Assassins Creed does and drop a Predator into a different time frame to battle the humans. 

Brilliant! As long as they don’t eventually turn them into 7 hour movies where the Predator does the same thing over and over before finishing with a nonsensical and unsatisfying ending. 

On 8/7/2022 at 7:32 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

I had the same thought watching this last night. I couldn't help think watching this how cool a Predator movie set in pre-colonial Africa would be. Predator vs Masai or Zulus :o

I have a couple of thoughts about this.

First - how big a population is the predator race?  I mean how many times have they visited Earth? - With all the planets and species available to hunt why would they be returning to earth so often?

Second - Do the Predators ever win?  (to be fair I have only seen the original, 2, and Prey)  But the same thing kind of keeps happening and the Predators keep getting beat.  That does not seem like the way it should go.  They are supposed to be pro's at this.  I would think they would win more often than lose.  

14 minutes ago, number305 said:

I have a couple of thoughts about this.

First - how big a population is the predator race?  I mean how many times have they visited Earth? - With all the planets and species available to hunt why would they be returning to earth so often?

Second - Do the Predators ever win?  (to be fair I have only seen the original, 2, and Prey)  But the same thing kind of keeps happening and the Predators keep getting beat.  That does not seem like the way it should go.  They are supposed to be pro's at this.  I would think they would win more often than lose.  

There's a lot of them. Hunting is part of their culture. I think they win more than they lose... the movies we watch just shows the losses. I think they learn from each loss though.

1 hour ago, number305 said:

At the end of 2 don't they have a whole trophy room full of skulls? Seems like they win a lot. :p

• Halal 1