Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) announced, launching October 8th (MSRP $349.99), update: reviews are being released

Pikachu

8 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Not cheaper, the screen in vita 2000 was cheaper for sony but they also rolled in a bunch of other stuff and sold at the same price. The OLED only stuck around a little longer in the 3G model for japan.

Nobody has forgotten about the switch because it's practically brought up in almost any discussion on the Vita when people talk about buying one. -.- (I game on a 2k model daily because I prefer the weight).

X2 were on the market (Magic Leap uses them) and nvidia had the next gen tegra chips in production but but Nvidia was more marketing/targeting the car infotainment market instead of gaming. Also the X1 in the shield is underclocked from the stock speed of the X1 in a Shield TV even in docked mode.

Good to know about the Vita. Thanks for that.

For Tegra X2, it's possible Nintendo considered it, but the cost per chip might've been too high compared to X1. Only Nintendo, and nVidia though know the whole story here. Given how both the 3DS, and Wii U were both sold at a loss, Nintendo might've decided it was better to go with something not as powerful, but could make money on each unit sold at a rather affordable price given the hybrid nature of the device.

17 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

Good to know about the Vita. Thanks for that.

For Tegra X2, it's possible Nintendo considered it, but the cost per chip might've been too high compared to X1. Only Nintendo, and nVidia though know the whole story here. Given how both the 3DS, and Wii U were both sold at a loss, Nintendo might've decided it was better to go with something not as powerful, but could make money on each unit sold at a rather affordable price given the hybrid nature of the device.

The simple answer is nintendo is cheap. Always has been and always will be. X2 was never considered. I'm an old game dev and an old boss of mine (who worked at NOA) would tell me about the stories over them cheaping out on the speaker in the GBA. 3DS has a lot of cheap parts used to cover the cost from the screen (which was the expensive part).

7 minutes ago, chakoo said:

The simple answer is nintendo is cheap. Always has been and always will be. X2 was never considered. I'm an old game dev and an old boss of mine (who worked at NOA) would tell me about the stories over them cheaping out on the speaker in the GBA. 3DS has a lot of cheap parts used to cover the cost from the screen (which was the expensive part).

I believe it. I recently replayed Metroid Fusion on my GBASP, and can confirm on the cheap mono speaker it had. It worked for what it did, but there are better options. But hey, the damn thing still works, backlight included, and the battery life is still good. Also currently own a New 3DS XL, but haven't played it as much as I did my GBASP in the day. Would love to homebrew it actually.

8 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Nintendo’s two switch revisions both target handheld users. I think the discussion whether it’s handheld or a console has been decided. Those who play dock are doing it wrong 

Which is strange because around launch when they were doing all those directs they were saying things like how they were surprised how many people used it for handheld, like they had considered this a console. So of course they make no effort to improve the console aspect of it.

7 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Nintendo’s two switch revisions both target handheld users. I think the discussion whether it’s handheld or a console has been decided. Those who play dock are doing it wrong  

suck my dick GIF

After the Switch Lite, I always thought Nintendo were going to make a console-only version of the Switch, call it the Switch Mini, Switch TV, or something. Sell it for $200 dollars, and let the mayhem begin. And who knows? Maybe as a final send off before the Super Switch, they will.

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

A majority in here complaining will end up buying this. I'm a hard fucking pass.

Switch pro better come out next year or I'm pretty much done with Nintendo. 

I wouldn't bet on it. I'd give Nintendo at least two years.

• Haha 1

At this point I’d rather wait another few years for a legit switch 2 around the general time frame of the refreshes from MS and Sony. A Switch 2 more in the neighborhood of the base PS5/Series X in 2024/25 is more interesting than a Switch Pro with PS4 Pro/One X power in 2022 IMO.

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

At this point I’d rather wait another few years for a legit switch 2 around the general time frame of the refreshes from MS and Sony. A Switch 2 more in the neighborhood of the base PS5/Series X in 2024/25 is more interesting than a Switch Pro with PS4 Pro/One X power in 2022 IMO.

Ill be shocked if we see a switch of any type as powerful as a ps4 pro in 2024, but if you mean something that can use dlss to play scaled down versions of current gen games, then I’m kinda with you that since it didn’t happen this year I just kinda want them to do a switch 2 in 23. But I want to see it in 22!

20 hours ago, imthesoldier said:

After the Switch Lite, I always thought Nintendo were going to make a console-only version of the Switch, call it the Switch Mini, Switch TV, or something. Sell it for $200 dollars, and let the mayhem begin. And who knows? Maybe as a final send off before the Super Switch, they will.

I really, really hoped they would make a more powerful, console only version. That would have been something I would be all in on. I have a switch, i would have kept it for work, when I have to be away for weeks at a time, out on the water (I have a second Vita just for this), and had a console only switch for home. Nothing would make me happier than that scenario. A console, 4k switch. Hell, even 1440p would have been a massive upgrade.

But no, instead we get terrible IQ on a great screen (that nobody really wants). Those things do not go together, they are not wine and cheese.

12 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

What games are you guys wanting to play on the hypothetical Switch Pro, anyway? 

Just curious since some of you only play Switch-exclusives, which play fine on the original Switch. 

Anything multi-plat is usually played on your PlayStations or Xboxes. 

A lot of Nintendo's own games chug on a standard switch, including BOTW, which is a launch game. 

I'd love a Switch that doesn't feel like it's struggling to play even native content. 

I suspect one is in the works, though at this point I am curious if it is truly an updated switch or an actual next-gen update. There was just too much 4K smoke for that not to be in development. 

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I really, really hoped they would make a more powerful, console only version. That would have been something I would be all in on. I have a switch, i would have kept it for work, when I have to be away for weeks at a time, out on the water (I have a second Vita just for this), and had a console only switch for home. Nothing would make me happier than that scenario. A console, 4k switch. Hell, even 1440p would have been a massive upgrade.

But no, instead we get terrible IQ on a great screen (that nobody really wants). Those things do not go together, they are not wine and cheese.

Just remember though: It is possible to polish a turd.

15 hours ago, stepee said:

Ill be shocked if we see a switch of any type as powerful as a ps4 pro in 2024, but if you mean something that can use dlss to play scaled down versions of current gen games, then I’m kinda with you that since it didn’t happen this year I just kinda want them to do a switch 2 in 23. But I want to see it in 22!

Tegra Xavier, a possible chip for an upcoming next-gen Switch, would put it broadly similar in performance to PS4 Pro, maybe a little in between Base PS4, and PS4 Pro. And with the addition of Tensor cores built right into the silicon, DLSS would help a lot for such a low-powered system.

Just now, imthesoldier said:

Tegra Xavier, a possible chip for an upcoming next-gen Switch, would put it broadly similar in performance to PS4 Pro, maybe a little in between Base PS4, and PS4 Pro. And with the addition of Tensor cores built right into the silicon, DLSS would help a lot for such a low-powered system.

I’m actually hoping that they have a chip in the works that’ll be better than Xavier, but I’m trying to keep my hopes super super low!

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m actually hoping that they have a chip in the works that’ll be better than Xavier, but I’m trying to keep my hopes super super low!

I know prior to the OLED Switch announcement, and the "leakers" were all salivating at the imminent announcement of the Switch Pro that never happened, there was "talk" of Tegra Orin being lined up for the Switch successor. Not much is known at the moment about Orin, but it's said to have 2048 CUDA cores, which is a massive step above the Tegra X1's mere 256 CUDA cores. I have serious doubts of Orin being the chip, and find Xavier more in line with Nintendo's philosophy of withered technology in their hardware.

Realistically, I could almost see Nintendo asking for a custom-tailored version of the Tegra X1 with more cores, more ram, and MAYBE tensor cores for DLSS.

I sure as hell have been wrong before though. Back prior to the announcement of the Switch in 2016, I was completely against the idea of a hybrid console, and thought Nintendo were surely going to continue to split between consoles, and handhelds. But knowing that a few years prior to that when they merged both their handheld, and console divisions, the writing was already on the wall long before the Switch was announced.

22 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

I know prior to the OLED Switch announcement, and the "leakers" were all salivating at the imminent announcement of the Switch Pro that never happened, there was "talk" of Tegra Orin being lined up for the Switch successor. Not much is known at the moment about Orin, but it's said to have 2048 CUDA cores, which is a massive step above the Tegra X1's mere 256 CUDA cores. I have serious doubts of Orin being the chip, and find Xavier more in line with Nintendo's philosophy of withered technology in their hardware.

Realistically, I could almost see Nintendo asking for a custom-tailored version of the Tegra X1 with more cores, more ram, and MAYBE tensor cores for DLSS.

I sure as hell have been wrong before though. Back prior to the announcement of the Switch in 2016, I was completely against the idea of a hybrid console, and thought Nintendo were surely going to continue to split between consoles, and handhelds. But knowing that a few years prior to that when they merged both their handheld, and console divisions, the writing was already on the wall long before the Switch was announced.

Damnit Nintendo, can’t we just have Orin and charge me $500!

edit: Looks like it can start production in 22, the timing would work for a 23 switch 2! But yeah, I won’t get my hopes up, you are probably right it’ll be less recent.

18 minutes ago, stepee said:

Damnit Nintendo, can’t we just have Orin and charge me $500!

Be careful what you wish for. Super Switch with Orin chip would probably cost at least $400, maybe $450 if the OLED Switch model is anything to go by (pulling those numbers completely out of my ass like a chicken lays an egg).

And then watch the shitshow of everyone comparing the Super Switch to the PS5, and Xbox Series consoles. It would be peanuts compared to that Resetera thread. :nerd:

9 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

Be careful what you wish for. Super Switch with Orin chip would probably cost at least $400, maybe $450 if the OLED Switch model is anything to go by (pulling those numbers completely out of my ass like a chicken lays an egg).

And then watch the shitshow of everyone comparing the Super Switch to the PS5, and Xbox Series consoles. It would be peanuts compared to that Resetera thread. :nerd:

My thing is, fuck ya give me that! I would GLADLY pay $450-$500 (though it really doesn’t have to be that much) for a more cutting edge switch 2 rather than pay $300 and be stuck with the technology for 7 years.

• Like 1

Actually, just in general I would want them targeting a $400 price for Switch 2, especially now that it’s hybrid, I want them to just pack as much as possible, it would still sell at $400 as long as what you get for that makes sense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Actually, just in general I would want them targeting a $400 price for Switch 2, especially now that it’s hybrid, I want them to just pack as much as possible, it would still sell at $400 as long as what you get for that makes sense.

But what incredible tech for as old as it is. ;)

I was chatting with buddy of mine on Discord this morning with regards to the new OLED dev kits having more memory than the standard dev kits (8GB vs. 6GB). It then turned into a short talk about the ram in Nintendo consoles. For only 4GB of LPDDR4 ram in the Switch (3.2GB allocated for devs), it's incredible what has been achieved. Not only that, but go back to the Wii era with Xenoblade Chronicles (My #2 GOAT). That was accomplished on a mere 88MB of total Ram.

Tegra X1 is old in hardware terms, but the fact it can churn out the results it can to begin with is astounding. I distinctly remember when Doom 2016 was announced for Switch, and some speculating it couldn't be done, or it was going to be a cloud version. It was the sequel to Doom 1993 on SNES in terms of the "impossible" port. I own Doom 2016, and just being able to Rip and Tear on the go is amazeballs to me. Switch has become my Doom machine, and only missing Doom 3, and Doom Eternal on it.

Knowing all this, whatever Nintendo, and nVidia decide is best for the Super Switch will probably astound us all yet again, and create a new generation of "impossible" ports. We got Switcher 3 for OG Switch. I expect Cyberpunk 2077 for Super Switch. :feelsgood:

4 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

But what incredible tech for as old as it is. ;)

I was chatting with buddy of mine on Discord this morning with regards to the new OLED dev kits having more memory than the standard dev kits (8GB vs. 6GB). It then turned into a short talk about the ram in Nintendo consoles. For only 4GB of LPDDR4 ram in the Switch (3.2GB allocated for devs), it's incredible what has been achieved. Not only that, but go back to the Wii era with Xenoblade Chronicles (My #2 GOAT). That was accomplished on a mere 88MB of total Ram.

Tegra X1 is old in hardware terms, but the fact it can churn out the results it can to begin with is astounding. I distinctly remember when Doom 2016 was announced for Switch, and some speculating it couldn't be done, or it was going to be a cloud version. It was the sequel to Doom 1993 on SNES in terms of the "impossible" port. I own Doom 2016, and just being able to Rip and Tear on the go is amazeballs to me. Switch has become my Doom machine, and only missing Doom 3, and Doom Eternal on it.

Knowing all this, whatever Nintendo, and nVidia decide is best for the Super Switch will probably astound us all yet again, and create a new generation of "impossible" ports. We got Switcher 3 for OG Switch. I expect Cyberpunk 2077 for Super Switch. :feelsgood:

Hell, the good news is they already down ported the hell out of Cyberpunk to last gen systems so it should be easy for a switch 2 port! It would be like if Witcher 3 already had a 360 port to use.