Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) announced, launching October 8th (MSRP $349.99), update: reviews are being released

Pikachu

Seems incredibly likely this was going to be a unit with updated cpu/gpu/ram, but with the chip situation being what it is there is no chance they could make a reasonable number of the upgraded unit. Would not shock me if Holiday 2022 the upgraded unit is released if chip availability gets better by mid-2022.

Jeff Grubb is still saying he had heard from the start that devs were told to prepare for the higher spec Switch for 2022 timetable.  So he thinks there's still a chance they plan to release a higher spec machine next year, maybe with Zelda?

30 minutes ago, stepee said:

meh dude doesn’t know anything, there could be a model next year, maybe not.  Im sticking with my lite, but man that would be a dick move if this is freakin $350 and just a stop gap to a real upgrade next year.

I don’t believe nobody no more. He said Nintendo dropped a $350 model this year to get you ready for that $400 Nintendo dick next year.  Nobody knows nothing.  

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

• Haha 2

This is an actual post made by a theoretically sentient person on ResetERA:

When the Wii U came out Nintendo realized they had a dud on their hands. They realized they couldn't just dress up the Wii and add 1080P to it and call it a new system. Yes they innovated with the controller which argumentatively could have been sold as an accessory for any game console. The Wii U flopped and Nintendo and the world knew it. Now I have a Wii U and enjoyed it for a couple months before never touching it again. I also have every handheld and home system they have made in the last decade, each variation even. I love to Love Nintendo...but today I had to step into reality. After months of waiting and drooling over the rumors of a 4K switch, to play BOTW and soon Dread on a 4K display...today I was furious. Who asked for this variation of a Switch? Which focus group did they wander upon that said THIS was the Switch the fans wanted this holiday season? 4 years later and the "innovation" they came up with was an OLED display and a stand? A display the PS Vita had TEN years ago? And don't get me started the feature that is a LAN cable...I actually rewatched the entire announcement video in search a number and letter because I thought I missed it, there was NO WAY they would not have it...and 4K was nowhere to be seen.

How are they getting away with these gimmicks??

It seems like they've added a second USB port that you can use  to charge while using the built-in kickstand, which is a nice addition.

But basically this is the clear winner if yours breaks, or if you don't have one yet...but if you already have one then hooray, at least your older Switch will not be meaningfully gimped relative to the newer one for at least another year or two? They're not forcing you to get a new one, and I don't see why you would if yours is fine unless you value the portability improvements but still want to be able to play docked.

17 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

The salt in this thread is delicious.

You're happy that people are even more upset with Nintendo's bs? Its not salt when its justified. The switch is ancient tech, and for those of us sensitive to framerate, its becoming unplayable. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

You're happy that people are even more upset with Nintendo's bs? Its not salt when its justified. The switch is ancient tech, and for those of us sensitive to framerate, its becoming unplayable. 

I get what you’re saying. But you don’t have to buy the new system. I’m not buying. I think it’s a total waste of money. But Nintendo business model has been this way since…..forever. So no new surprise here. Getting upset is a waste of time. 

8 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This is an actual post made by a theoretically sentient person on ResetERA:

Are you really all that shocked by that kind of commentary from there? One guy continues to argue with me and insist that the GBA was very powerful for it's time even after I've corrected him multiple times. -.- Yet I will admit I do enjoy reading the people who were selling the hype now telling people that it's their fault for having high expectations.

7 hours ago, vaxick said:

If it's anything like the Vita, I wouldn't imagine it to be an issue as it never really became one on that platform.

As long as it's not left on in direct sunlight for hours on end the Vita OLED holds up. we sadly had burnins at one company I was at because someone left their devkit in direct sunlight all day. =/

25 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I get what you’re saying. But you don’t have to buy the new system. I’m not buying. I think it’s a total waste of money. But Nintendo business model has been this way since…..forever. So no new surprise here. Getting upset is a waste of time. 

Oh, im definitely not buying it. But I would have bought an actual hardware refresh.

This will doom BotW2 to even worse framerate than the first, and an equally empty world. 

Its time to expect more from them than 10 year old tech at premium prices. I bought Hyrule Warriors at launch, and its still a horrible mess with framerate dropping to unplayable levels. And it might not be a Nintendo game, but their IP is the face of the game. As it is now, I have a worthless game that their "new" console won't play any better. 

Im glad people aren't fawning over them this time though. A lot of people seem upset.

I can't believe they are going to sell this trash for 50$ less than a ps5.

33 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Oh, im definitely not buying it. But I would have bought an actual hardware refresh.

This will doom BotW2 to even worse framerate than the first, and an equally empty world. 

Its time to expect more from them than 10 year old tech at premium prices. I bought Hyrule Warriors at launch, and its still a horrible mess with framerate dropping to unplayable levels. And it might not be a Nintendo game, but their IP is the face of the game. As it is now, I have a worthless game that their "new" console won't play any better. 

Im glad people aren't fawning over them this time though. A lot of people seem upset.

I don’t think BoTW2 is ‘doomed’ by any stretch of the imagination.  The og was still a very compelling game in spite of hardware limitations.  The only worry now is that Nintendo had the Wii U version to keep it in check.

In any case, I think Nintendo is pushing people towards emulation with this new model doing nothing spec wise.  Though to be fair, that also tends to be the case for most of their platforms that stick around this long.

20 minutes ago, Jason said:

qvukfe-lujxWTZc.jpg

Its not about what Nintendo said or didn't say, period. Its about the switch not playing games very well. Some worse than others. 

Its amazing for indie/smaller/sidescrolling games, but larger games are getting worst and worst. 

What should be my favorite console is instead the one I actively acoid buying games for unless they aren't available anywhere else. 

I know they will sell tons of these, but I think they'd have sold even more with an internal upgrade.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

I don’t think BoTW2 is ‘doomed’ by any stretch of the imagination.  The og was still  a very compelling game in spite of hardware limitations.  The only worry now is that Nintendo had the Wii U to keep it in check.

In any case, I think Nintendo is pushing people towards emulation with this new model doing nothing spec wise.  Though to be fair, that tends to be the case for most of their platform that stick around this long.

Doomed is a strong word, but it won't run great, the original certainly didn't.

5 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Doomed is a strong word, but it won't run great, the original certainly didn't.

I beat the original on Wii U and would still say that it was passable after the patches.  Mainly it was the towns where there was big problems.

I found Hyrule Warriors and Xenoblade 2 to be much worse with IQ and framerate.

So, maybe I'm missing the point entirely here, but when I hear some folks mention how the Vita had an OLED screen, do they not also realize Sony switched over to LCD a mere two years after the system came out? And correct me if I'm wrong, but the Vita with the LCD screen was a lot cheaper than the original OLED model, no?

OLED is great tech, but expensive when compared to an IPS LCD panel. And the screen itself is 13% larger in size to boot. Probably explains why the battery life hasn't improved. 13% larger screen with a more power-efficient panel = about the same battery life.

16 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

To be fair to BOTW2, BOTW1 was a cross-platform title originally built for the Wii U, and only later on did the development team add the Switch to the table (And BOTW1 still ran at a higher resolution with a more consistent frame rate on Switch). Switch is the Wii U's horsepower in handheld mode with a more modern feature set (hell, there are some features in the Switch's hardware that the PS4 or Xbox One could not do simply because the Tegra X1 came out later than the other systems) I think it's more likely we'll not only get a better looking game than BOTW1, but will run more consistently because they can now build the whole game around one platform. Time will tell of course though. :shrug:

Is the Tegra X1 old? It came out in 2015, so yes. Yes it is. But we're also talking about an ARM-based SoC that is on par, or exceeds what the PS360, and Wii U could do in terms of horsepower, and yet only does it at a mere 15 watts in your hands. And last year, we also found the answer to the question of "Can it run Crysis?" (on top of all the other "Impossible" ports). If nothing else, this makes me more excited of what the actual next-generation Switch will have. Tegra Xavier? Tegra Orin? Custom-based Tegra X1? Who knows at this point.

No doubt Nintendo make money off of every Switch system sold (I believe a firm analyzed the price breakdown of the Switch back in 2017, and came up with around 260-270$US for the total cost of the system). Surely though, the cost per unit has gone down over time, although they did do the Mariko Chip revision with a smaller 16nm chip instead of the 20nm they started out with. Cost per unit probably went down to 230$ or so (but maybe there was additional R&D to make the chip smaller?)? And with the OLED screen, plus double the NAND storage, and better speakers, Switch most likely pushes above 300 dollars per unit now, maybe more? I'm not an expert on this, and only some Analytics Firm can do a price breakdown.

I genuinely do wonder how much the Xbox Series S/X, and PS5/DE all would cost if they did not lose money on each system sold? Maybe someone has done a price analysis on that.

Bloomberg said in their article that OLED rigid screens supply exceeds demand and its prices have plummeted. Nintendo, being a seasoned flea market buyer, came in and scooped up the extra supply just like they did with the Tegra chip no one wanted. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

That's kind of the issue.

Everyone before the announcement was like

Take My Money GIF by memecandy

But now they are kinda like

Green Bay Packers Text Back GIF by Martellus Bennett's Text Back Pack

Not buying it isn't the problem for people, it's the problem for Nintendo. Had they actually done something I'm pretty sure everyone would be happy.

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I'm a *little* happy about all the internet rage, yeah. I'll admit that. But it's more just how crazy people are flipping out about this, less that people are genuinely sad/annoyed about it. The comments/GIFs, etc. do bring me a bit of amusement. It's funny. The internet flipping out about stuff is so weird and dumb sometimes that I can't help but laugh. 

Remember when everyone lost their minds when the PSN was down for like, a month back during the PS3 era? No one could play online. Or when Sony (or was it Microsoft? Both?) was hacked and everyone's passwords were compromised or whatever? And how that turned out? Wasn't a big deal in the long run, but wow people freaking out is just...LOL. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Bloomberg said in their article that OLED rigid screens supply exceeds demand and its prices have plummeted. Nintendo, being a seasoned flea market buyer, came in and scooped up the extra supply just like they did with the Tegra chip no one wanted. 

Sounds like good business to me actually. Cuts down on the R&D to develop said hardware, and probably allows them to fast-track manufacturing to build the final product. And in defense to Tegra X1, I don't believe there was another SoC with that kind of power in such a small footprint with that much supply available at the time. And given the failure of the Wii U, Nintendo needed a new chip, and fast. nVidia might've also been looking for a slice of the console-space pie, and approached Nintendo with an offer since AMD was already all in with Sony, and Microsoft. Sorry, Intel.

1 hour ago, imthesoldier said:

So, maybe I'm missing the point entirely here, but when I hear some folks mention how the Vita had an OLED screen, do they not also realize Sony switched over to LCD a mere two years after the system came out? And correct me if I'm wrong, but the Vita with the LCD screen was a lot cheaper than the original OLED model, no?

Not cheaper, the screen in vita 2000 was cheaper for sony but they also rolled in a bunch of other stuff and sold at the same price. The OLED only stuck around a little longer in the 3G model for japan.

Nobody has forgotten about the switch because it's practically brought up in almost any discussion on the Vita when people talk about buying one. -.- (I game on a 2k model daily because I prefer the weight).

13 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

Sounds like good business to me actually. Cuts down on the R&D to develop said hardware, and probably allows them to fast-track manufacturing to build the final product. And in defense to Tegra X1, I don't believe there was another SoC with that kind of power in such a small footprint with that much supply available at the time. And given the failure of the Wii U, Nintendo needed a new chip, and fast. nVidia might've also been looking for a slice of the console-space pie, and approached Nintendo with an offer since AMD was already all in with Sony, and Microsoft. Sorry, Intel.

X2 were on the market (Magic Leap uses them) and nvidia had the next gen tegra chips in production but but Nvidia was more marketing/targeting the car infotainment market instead of gaming. Also the X1 in the shield is underclocked from the stock speed of the X1 in a Shield TV even in docked mode.

56 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That's kind of the issue.

Everyone before the announcement was like

Take My Money GIF by memecandy

But now they are kinda like

Green Bay Packers Text Back GIF by Martellus Bennett's Text Back Pack

Not buying it isn't the problem for people, it's the problem for Nintendo. Had they actually done something I'm pretty sure everyone would be happy.

There will be plenty of Nintendo fans who will buy this so Nintendo really has no problems. Certain people have to have every new gadget. Yeah I’m looking at you @stepee @Mr.Vic20👀