Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) announced, launching October 8th (MSRP $349.99), update: reviews are being released

Pikachu

18 hours ago, TheKing23 said:

Fuck this I’m ready for the Switch 2

I’m thinking March 2023 will be the date for Switch 2/Super Switch. 

Prior to that, Nintendo will drop the price of the Switch systems, probably in 2022. And while I doubt it’ll happen, it’d be cool if Nintendo not only supported backwards compatibility for it, but certain games would run better on the newer hardware. 

1 minute ago, imthesoldier said:

I’m thinking March 2023 will be the date for Switch 2/Super Switch. 

Prior to that, Nintendo will drop the price of the Switch systems, probably in 2022. And while I doubt it’ll happen, it’d be cool if Nintendo not only supported backwards compatibility for it, but certain games would run better on the newer hardware. 

No way does Nintendo drop the price of the switch. Why would they? They are making tons of money off of it. Forget about backwards compatibility as well. 

As to when we will see a switch 2? Not in 2023 that's for sure. I suspect a switch pro holiday 22 with the release of botw2.

42 minutes ago, best3444 said:

No way does Nintendo drop the price of the switch. Why would they? They are making tons of money off of it. Forget about backwards compatibility as well. 

As to when we will see a switch 2? Not in 2023 that's for sure. I suspect a switch pro holiday 22 with the release of botw2.

There's no way Nintendo releases a new, full priced handheld and then doesn't keep it a priority for, at least, two holiday seasons. Spring 2023 is likely the soonest we'll see a replacement for the Switch. I would be shocked if we got something sooner than that.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

More often than not, Nintendo does backwards compatibility, especially when it referred to their handhelds. I can see them continuing that trend with the Super Switch with a similar style of cartridge, but with faster read/write speeds. At the same token, I can see Nintendo encouraging UHS 2, or UHS 3 Bus microSD cards in order to maintain that similar read write speeds. Heck, in a further future, SD Express microSD is something I could see them implementing once prices go down. For a small ARM-based platform, developers will be begging for better read write speeds, especially now that Sony, and a Microsoft are embracing it. SD Express also uses PCIe, and they start at just under 1 GB/sec speeds. Not up there with PS5, and Xbox Series, but a step in the right direction. 

As far as price goes, it would indicate a new system is on the way, plus they could sell a new next gen Switch in that 350-400 price point. But sure, the Switch right now is still selling gangbusters, but it won’t last forever. By sometime next year, I could see the momentum to slip a little bit, followed by actually selling Nintendo Selects again. 

7 hours ago, Derek said:

64gb? Come on, man! This might've tickled my fancy if it offered even 256gb internal, then I wouldn't have to worry about switching between my sd cards :(

As Jeff Grubb said on last week's Grubsnacks. The memory is cheap, they doubled the size to make it look good but ultimately putting the cost on the customer to get more memory.

22 hours ago, Derek said:

64gb? Come on, man! This might've tickled my fancy if it offered even 256gb internal, then I wouldn't have to worry about switching between my sd cards :(

Boooooo. But it will sell millions of units, so congrats, Nintendo!

You can actually get a lot of mileage out of even 32GB on a Switch...since most games bought on Switch are tiny indie games. If you're buying nothing but Breath of the Wild-size games, then sure that'll fill fairly quickly. But that's why you can buy games on cart...! 

Anyway, while this new iteration doesn't really pique my interest, my son really wants one. I have no idea why. Maybe it'll end up as a Christmas gift for him later this year. 

On 7/12/2021 at 10:40 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

As Jeff Grubb said on last week's Grubsnacks. The memory is cheap, they doubled the size to make it look good but ultimately putting the cost on the customer to get more memory.

Decided to look on Newegg for kicks, and see how much a standard USB flash drive costs these days, and dayum son, they have gotten cheap. I remember back in maybe 2004 or something I bought a 2GB Flash drive for 90 dollars. Now I can buy a 512GB for half that cost.

The big question now is how much is the OLED screen in relation to the older LCD panel.

2 hours ago, Raggit said:
WWW.BLOOMBERG.COM

Apparently the oled switch costs Nintendo an estimated $10 more per unit compared to the regular switch. 

Don't know if that linked properly.  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-14/nintendo-switch-s-big-price-hike-takes-gamers-into-new-territory

Nintendo has been gouging gamers for decades. This isn't surprising.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) announced, launching October 8th (MSRP $349.99), update: reviews are being released

If you don't own a Switch and you're looking to buy one, this is the one to get. And if you're already a Switch owner and display quality in portable mode is important to you, this is a must-have upgrade.

Did we really need reviews for this? Clearly that is the whole idea, a lot of words to say the screen is better.

18 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Man Nintendo's got some of y'all whipped as fuck.

I’ve posted this before, but my screen has a scratch on it that drive me nuts. I have almost purchased a new switch a few times just because of that, and I have two different friends who would be willing to pay like a cheap price to take the old one if I get a new one. 

It’s a total luxury item for me, but the switch is the first Nintendo console I’ve purchased maybe ever when it wasn’t at the end of its life cycle. So I don’t feel too bad.