Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) announced, launching October 8th (MSRP $349.99), update: reviews are being released

Pikachu

• Pikachu changed the title to Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) announced, launching October 8th (MSRP $349.99)!
16 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I keep wondering if I should just buy a damned Switch and not worry if a Pro version is announced soon.

This is either a mid-generation update like the DS Lite or a quasi upgrade like the DSi.

I wouldn't hold out for another upgrade popping up for at least another two years.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Switch OLED Lite in 2 years

Unlikely. From Nintendo's perspective, the Lite exists as a cheaper alternative for kids.

Nintendo is sometimes really weird about their handheld updates. The DSi, especially. It was a generational upgrade over the DS, but Nintendo didn't treat it as such, nor did they announce it as such. It's entirely possible this is just a 3DS XL-style update. It's also possible that when this thing gets in people's hands they'll find out it's on a new fab with better thermals and throttles less leading to better frame rates; none of which Nintendo will actually announce.

I'll probably pick one up around launch, but it also wouldn't be a bad idea to see what Digital Foundry thinks of it once they've run their tests.

1 hour ago, The def star said:

That's kind of a weird spot to be in. Is there any mention that it's a 1080p screen? Even on cell phones anything less than 1080 is a no for me.

720p. I am gonna pass was hoping for a perf increase.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Slug said:

So better screen, better speakers, twice the storage, and wired ethernet.  No word on any sort of performance improvements.  I doubt there will be.

People on Ars Technica are speculating that since this hit basically all the other checkboxes people were thinking, that this was originally going to have a better chip but then didn't because of the chip shortages.

4 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Yuck, they made it bigger. Hard pass. 

It's only very marginally bigger, most of it is just from shrinking the comically large bezels.

Now what I'm WTFing about is that there's STILL no Netflix, this would be such an awesome travel device with the full suite of streaming services. But as it stands it's currently hard to justify bringing my Switch for very short trips.

As someone who almost exclusively plays docked, this doesn't interest me in the slightest.

I have to give Nintendo credit though. They know their customer base really well. They'll sell a ton of these, many to existing Switch owners, and it probably took them no time at all.

A lot of people bought into unconfirmed leaks and  let speculations and rumors from gaming YouTubers get them convinced this thing would have an Ampere based SoC to support DLSS,  etc.

Not wrong to expect updated specs after nearly five years on the market though.