• Ubisoft
    • Bethesda
    • Rockstar
    • Volition
    • Avalanche
    • Sucker Punch
    • From Software
    • Other

I think we've got a combination of developers/publishers in the list...

My favourites:

Rockstar San Diego

Ubisoft Montreal

Guerilla Games

Rockstar North (I will give GTAV another go, but I bounced off of it relatively quickly...)

Ā 

Surprised to not see CD Project Red on the list...

Editted because I am an idiot:

Playground Games clearly makes the best open world games.

Gosh, I donā€™t know. Iā€™m inclined to say Rockstar is the best at the actual open world part - their worlds are typically filled with the most interesting and polished types of chaos and fun that can be had with an open world game. And personally I think they typically tell a pretty good story (which I know many disagree with).Ā 

Ā 

CDPR made a helluva game with Witcher 3, but I found the open worldness of it to be lacking. It looks gorgeous, and the sound and art design is second to none, but you have such limited ability to actually interface with the NPCs or environment.Ā 

Ā 

And althoughĀ everyone seems to hate Bethesda now, I freaking love their open worlds as well. I guess those would be my top three. I donā€™t really think Fromā€™s games are really all that open world-y.Ā 

• Thanks 1

Rockstar.

Ā 

I may not put something like GTAV above a game like Horizon Zero Dawn or Witcher 3 or MGSV in terms of gameplay and story (though I think GTAV actually had a really cool and involving story), but the actual worlds they create feel so alive, partly aided by interactions with NPCs, partly aided by the radio stations (the talk stations always make the world feel alive to me, and sometimes I forgot that I wasn't actually going to run into Lazlow during his on-the-street interviews in GTAIV), and partly aided by how they construct the cities.

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Gosh, I donā€™t know. Iā€™m inclined to say Rockstar is the best at the actual open world part - their worlds are typically filled with the most interesting and polished types of chaos and fun that can be had with an open world game. And personally I think they typically tell a pretty good story (which I know many disagree with).Ā 

Ā 

CDPR made a helluva game with Witcher 3, but I found the open worldness of it to be lacking. It looks gorgeous, and the sound and art design is second to none, but you have such limited ability to actually interface with the NPCs or environment.Ā 

Ā 

And althoughĀ everyone seems to hate Bethesda now, I freaking love their open worlds as well. I guess those would be my top three. I donā€™t really think Fromā€™s games are really all that open world-y.Ā 

Yes but you can kill enemies in a much more fluid way.Ā  Ie. the combat doesn't suck

I didn't have much time to write my response earlier.

Ā 

The Forza Horizon series is by far my most played series of games over the last 5 years.Ā  Every year they come out, I am absorbed for about 2 months.Ā  The driving is a great balance of arcade and sim, the challenges are fun, and there are tons of great cars to upgrade.Ā  It just makes driving so FUN.Ā  No other games even try to do this.Ā  For this reason, to me, Playground Games is the best open world developer.

12 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

Yes but you can kill enemies in a much more fluid way.Ā  Ie. the combat doesn't suck

Yeah thatā€™s cool, but itā€™s not really enhancing or specific toĀ the open-worldness of the game is what I was getting at. I think people take Rockstarā€™s worlds for granted in some ways since weā€™re so used to a certain quality from them.Ā 

Ā 

As a whole, I think they are a bit above everyone else at it.Ā 

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

Yeah thatā€™s cool, but itā€™s not really enhancing or specific toĀ the open-worldness of the game is what I was getting at. I think people take Rockstarā€™s worlds for granted in some ways since weā€™re so used to a certain quality from them.Ā 

Ā 

As a whole, I think they are a bit above everyone else at it.Ā 

I know. Ā The little things are what makes it. Ā I just restarted Batman arkham knight and was so impressed with the tiny text on newspapersĀ 

Rockstar makes the most believable cities. GTAV has an insane amount of detail in terms of all the small innate qualities of a big city. Trash on the sidewalk, back alleys that have stuff scattered around. Even walking into an area that you really have no reason to walk into will have detail. Any other game will have an empty blank corner where GTA has nuance and character packed into every inch of their map.

Ā 

Rockstar is the best at creating a living, realistic setting.

Ā 

But they're also large, sprawling maps with little to do, where-as developers like Bethesda and CDPR has maps that are crammed with things to do and stuff to find. Bethesda are the masters of map density and consistency.j

Ā 

CDPR are amazing story-tellers, but to be fair, they've only made one open world game. The Witcher 1 and 2 were broken up into chapters and while they had mini hub style maps, the story was very linear. The Witcher 3 was excellent but really the first one they attempted. Time will tell if they can duplicate their success with Cyberpunk 2077.

Ā 

Ubisoft is great at creating a large map collect-a-thons. They took RARE's formula from the N64 days and perfected it. Then they copied/pasted it into every open world game they have. They lose points for The Crew 1 and 2's amazingly large, completely barren maps.

Ā 

Volition made great open world maps for Saints Row but there's no way in a frozen hell they can compare directly to Rockstar's. They just can't.

Ā 

Avalanche makes very beautiful organic maps with amazing foliage tech. They just need to figure out what to do in them. Can't wait for RAGE 2 to blend their tech with Id's and Beth's direction.

Ā 

Can't comment on Sucker Punch or From Software because I'm not a Souls fan nor did I play any of the Infamous games, but if you can convince me they make a better city than Rockstar, so be it. I would argue that From Software is more of a metroidvania than a true open world.

Ā 

In all, ever developer has strengths and weaknesses so I don't know if one can be considered the best. I love Rockstar's cities but ultimately I always get bored with GTA. I've spent the most time with Bethesda's games but they're usually pretty buggy and use the same assets in their games. Skyrim will have House A, B, and C appearing in every town, so it does get a little bland at times.

Ā 

Nintendo loses points because Breath of the Wild's open world was larger and more "flexible" with Link's newfound agility, but their smaller, denser maps in past games were far more interesting to me. I found BotW very boring.Ā 

I donā€™t know that anyone is ā€œthe bestā€ since ā€œopen worldā€ is such a broad cetagory.

Ā 

R* makes really detailed, visually interesting worlds, and then generally populates them with very little of interest to do. Their characters are largely forgettable, as are their stories. Ubisoft gets a lot of crap for their checklist approach, but R* does the same stuff, even if the execution is different. I also think they have some issues with giving the playerĀ the freedom to derp all over the world but have the story and characters completely ignore that. Seems like RDR2 might be an attempt to change that, so Iā€™m cautiously optimistic in that regard.

Ā 

Bethesda gives you the most shit to actually do, but most of their games are just enormous piles of jank that the community has to fix. And have they gotten worse at telling stories? Fallout 4 sure makes me think they have. A modded Bethesda game is still a delight, but what you get out of the box feels like it gets a little less focused and special each time, which is disappointing.

Ā 

CDPR probably has the best implementation between player action and story outcome in Wild Hunt of any of the open world games. Your actions with Ciri matter in interesting ways, much more so than other games with a narrative focus. But it probably also has the least ā€œvarietyā€ in this class which is good and bad. You know most of what youā€™re going to find is monsters and loot, which gets repetitive, but you also know itā€™s going to be of higher quality than most other open world games. SomeĀ of the big quests in Wild Hunt are more interesting and better written than every one of R*ā€™s individual games.

Ā 

Avalanche makes the best sandboxes with Just Cause.

Ā 

Volition just cranks everything up to 11 and makes some really amusing, stupid shit. Theyā€™re much more overtly ā€œfunā€ than most of the other games in this category.

Ā 

Sucker Punch flirts with greatness from time to time, and their open world games have moments but theyā€™re not consistently great.

Ā 

And as other people have said... Nintendo warrants being included here just for Breath of the Wild alone. Itā€™s one of the best open world games ever, and if they can make a couple quality of life improvements for the sequel... man.

Despite however much you love any open world game by any other developer, you can probably admit that Rockstar did it first or does it better. Their open world games have a life of their own and it's incredible every generation. GTA5 isn't my favourite game to play of all time, not by a long shot, but you have to respect the world they built. Can't wait to see first hand what they do with red dead 2.

1 hour ago, mo1518 said:

Despite however much you love any open world game by any other developer, you can probably admit that Rockstar did it first or does it better. Their open world games have a life of their own and it's incredible every generation. GTA5 isn't my favourite game to play of all time, not by a long shot, but you have to respect the world they built. Can't wait to see first hand what they do with red dead 2.

They don't do driving/racing better than Forza Horizon 3 and they don't have anything that comes close to the ship-to-ship combat in ACIV.

Ā 

Their western/Cowboy stuff is second to none.

4 hours ago, mikechorney said:

They don't do driving/racing better than Forza Horizon 3 and they donļ»æ't have anything that comes close to the ship-to-ship combat in ACIV.

Ā 

Forza Horizion 3 does racing better than GTA but GTA does everything else better than Forza Horizon.

ACIV has better ship to ship combat but GTA has better everything else than ACIV, especially after you get off the ship.

5 hours ago, mikechorney said:

They don't do driving/racing better than Forza Horizon 3 and they don't have anything that comes close to the ship-to-ship combat in ACIV.

Ā 

Their western/Cowboy stuff is second to none.

I like the horizon games but itā€™s kind of an odd horse in the race. They do a very specific genre very well - I like ā€˜em too - but theyā€™re not really the same beast as these other games.

4 minutes ago, AshsToAshs said:

Rockstar and CDPR are obvious choices.

Ā 

I'd like to give an honorable mention to: Insomniac
Sunset Overdrive was one of the most fun open world games I've ever played. And Spider-Man looks to be an amazing open world as well.

Ā 

DAMN IT! I knew I forgot one! In fact I meant to put Insomniac instead of Sucker Punch because I always get those two mixed up for some weird reasonĀ :p