Defense rests in the Derek Chauvin case (UPDATE: Guilty on all charges) (2ND UPDATE: 22 1/2 years in prison)

3 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Also take note: every local news story is based almost solely on the accounts of police. How many stories simply never get to this point that actually played out much closer to what was done to Floyd?

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Also take note: every local news story is based almost solely on the accounts of police. How many stories simply never get to this point that actually played out much closer to what was done to Floyd?

Journalists will always lazily default to authority figures when it's the easiest/fastest way to get a story out. For decades, they've just ignored the fact that the official stories come from a party that has a thousand reasons to lie.

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

Journalists will always lazily default to authority figures when it's the easiest/fastest way to get a story out. For decades, they've just ignored the fact that the official stories come from a party that has a thousand reasons to lie.

Indeed. Part of the problem is deadlines, and the want to turn a story every day, or at least even multiple stories a day and decent size markets.

However, since officials rarely make for good soundbites, there are many people in the business who will insist that your story is not just officials. So I wouldn’t lose hope or be pessimistic about the whole thing.

After listening to reporting of it all afternoon and the NPR reporting on my commute home this evening, I can't shake the sadness of how it must feel to have your loved one, your friend turned into a concept and simply a martyr like this. I mean instead of being allowed to be a full person. I don't know, the thought just made me deeply sad for his family who have had to watch him turn into an abstraction for others to trot around. Obviously I understand of the importance of the verdict and the relief they must feel as well but it's just all terrible to watch, the spectacle of this atrocity and this little sacrificial lamb the police is willing to give up this once because even they couldn't bullshit themselves out of it this time. I'm also very happy for the potential impact this verdict will have and that at least his family can have this I guess.

Also, that Pelosi thing and other tweets in here are so crass, so hideously tasteless and disrespectful, it's hard to wrap my head around what the fuck goes on in some people's heads. Even if, for some reason, you still can't see the pure race angle of it all, fuck it's not even about that, this was a person with a life who died so utterly pointlessly and 'thank baby jesus he gave his life for our city and the cause', I mean fuck are you not human at all to be able to see how aggressively crass that is