~*Official Thread of America's Return to Thoughts & Prayers Normalcy*~

12 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I guess it’s a miracle my brother and I didn’t die or kill anyone with a hunting rifle as kids. 

By using firearms at all, you experienced a greater chance of being shot (or shooting someone). No one is saying it was likely that it was going to happen. But even very small % figures add up massively (in the absolute sense) when applied to the entire United States.

As others have said, there is no utility gained from guns that is worth the human sacrifice brought by their existence and sale. 

My entire stance is finding solutions that can work in the current century. Guns aren't going anywhere, especially hunting rifles, which aren't really the issue anyway.You can't create laws that can be enforced like what's being suggested. The problem isn't hunting culture and yeah, teaching your kids basic gun safety is simply a smart move.

Of course, pretty much nothing will be done for the foreseeable future, even the easy stuff.

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

(because we have decided this as a political choice it was not predetermined or ordained to be so)

People don't realize that the complaints people make about shared e-scooters today are verbatim the arguments that people were making for banning cars in cities back in the 1920s and 1930s (and banning cars in cities was very seriously on the table): car companies just dumped their products out onto the market and left it to cities to play catch-up on regulating them.

15 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I guess it’s a miracle my brother and I didn’t die or kill anyone with a hunting rifle as kids. 

Not really. In the US, you have a 0.3% chance of being shot and killed. Look at the gun ownership rate for your state. If 50% of households in your state own a gun, then that 0.3% becomes 1.95% for anyone loving in the house.

15 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Not really. In the US, you have a 0.3% chance of being shot and killed. Look at the gun ownership rate for your state. If 50% of households in your state own a gun, then that 0.3% becomes 1.95% for anyone loving in the house.

Fucking outside is more fun anyway.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Can you explain how you arrived at that conclusion?

all guns should be required to be locked up in a storage facility specifically for guns. throw a shooting range in a place like that for people to have their orgasms. if you want to go hunting you can check your specific approved gun out to go to satiate your bloodlust. 

guns are evil and should be banned. if i had a kid i wouldn’t teach them gun safety. i would teach them to avoid guns. living in california i’ve never even seen a gun besides a place where you might expect one like on an officers hip. it’s actually not that difficult to avoid guns depending on who you spend your time with (at least in a state that is less psycho than others)

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Can you explain how you arrived at that conclusion?

My math could be really wrong as it was dirty and ask that was keeping me awake while in a very boring meeting. It was based on the study I linked to previously that states gun death rates rise by 13% for every additional 10% of households that have a gun. In theory, you should be able to shrink that down to the county level.

16 minutes ago, johnny said:

all guns should be required to be locked up in a storage facility specifically for guns. throw a shooting range in a place like that for people to have their orgasms. if you want to go hunting you can check your specific approved gun out to go to satiate your bloodlust. 

guns are evil and should be banned. if i had a kid i wouldn’t teach them gun safety. i would teach them to avoid guns. living in california i’ve never even seen a gun besides a place where you might expect one like on an officers hip. it’s actually not that difficult to avoid guns depending on who you spend your time with (at least in a state that is less psycho than others)

California has nearly the same gun murder rate as Arizona - which is famous for having a bare minimum of gun laws.  You don't even need a license to carry concealed in Arizona.

Would California have a lower murder rate if their gun laws were even stricter?  I don't know.  But I don't think their current gun laws are actually effective at curbing gun violence.

Credit where credit is due though - I do think California's 10 day waiting period likely does help prevent a nominal number of suicides.  But if you already own one or more guns and have suicidal ideations, this law is probably meaningless. 

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

California has nearly the same gun murder rate as Arizona - which is famous for having a bare minimum of gun laws.  You don't even need a license to carry concealed in Arizona.

Would California have a lower murder rate if their gun laws were even stricter?  I don't know.  But I don't think their current gun laws are actually effective at curbing gun violence.

Credit where credit is due though - I do think California's 10 day waiting period likely does help prevent a nominal number of suicides.  But if you already own one or more guns and have suicidal ideations, this law is probably meaningless. 

i’m not saying there isn’t gun violence. but if you stay away from gun culture your chances of being in a situation involving guns is obviously going to be dramatically lower (but not impossible of course). if everybody had a gun, it’s going to go up. 

I just realized I hate gun nuts like that for the same reason I can't stand religious stoners. 

Like, if you want to smoke weed all day, more power to you, but as soon as someone makes it a core part of their personality, that's when I want to shoot them into the sun. It's not a personality trait or a belief structure, it's a hobby. It's okay to just say you like to get high without boring me with how the certain "bubble butt veloceraptor" or whatever you smoked enhances the sativa you smoked this morning to make you productive throughout the day, as long as you also get your 4 cups of coffee. You like to get high. And that's okay. Stop trying to justify it by making it into this important thing.

Gun nuts are the same. Just say you like to shoot guns. It's okay. You don't have to bore me with your die hard/revolution/zombie apocalypse boners. None of that will ever happen (or if it does, your guns won't save you). Just say you like to shoot guns. It's okay, I like to shoot guns, too.

... I guess the main difference is you can't accidentally kill people with weed. Well, I guess it's possible to like kill a small child, maybe? Like if a toddler found a bucket of edibles and just went to town, I'm sure that wouldn't go well. I don't think they would *die* though. Maybe they would...

(Not referring to cnut here if that wasn't obvious, I think hunting rifles are fine. Difference is things like bolt action rifles aren't really meant to shoot rapidly)

• Thanks 1

Like, I consider my parents gun nuts. They hunt, but they’re also just hardcore 2Aers who do make it part of their identities and their gun ownership goes way beyond hunting. I like to hunt, but my life doesn’t revolve around it or around guns. It’s just something fun I do. 

That said, I don’t even think my family is nutty enough to take photos like that. It’s beyond disturbing. 

8 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Would California have a lower murder rate if their gun laws were even stricter?  I don't know. 

Maybe not, but they'd certainly have a lower murder rate if the laws were stricter in Arizona. 

5 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

That said, I don’t even think my family is nutty enough to take photos like that. It’s beyond disturbing. 

I think it's pretty safe to say these photos are from a bunch of try hards who need to publicly show fealty to the other chuds that "WE LOVE GUNS" because it's no longer enough to have an A+ voting record from the NRA, now you have to "own the libs" by showing how psychotic you are

• True 1

6 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

That said, I don’t even think my family is nutty enough to take photos like that. It’s beyond disturbing

People that believe that type of behavior is normal for most gun owners are the same type of moron that believe Seattle is a war zone held hostage by Antifa or Liberal cities are on the verge of collapse by immigrants. The Left loves to bemoan the Right for being out of touch outside of their little bubble but they are every bit guilty of the same,myself included. 

There is a feedback loop at play here.  Just like when you tell your teenage child they can't wear something because it is inappropriate...Well now they are just going to wear it even harder and more often, and make sure you know they are doing it as a middle finger to you!

Liberals, it's your fault gun culture is what it is.  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I just realized I hate gun nuts like that for the same reason I can't stand religious stoners. 

Like, if you want to smoke weed all day, more power to you, but as soon as someone makes it a core part of their personality, that's when I want to shoot them into the sun. It's not a personality trait or a belief structure, it's a hobby. It's okay to just say you like to get high without boring me with how the certain "bubble butt veloceraptor" or whatever you smoked enhances the sativa you smoked this morning to make you productive throughout the day, as long as you also get your 4 cups of coffee. You like to get high. And that's okay. Stop trying to justify it by making it into this important thing.

Gun nuts are the same. Just say you like to shoot guns. It's okay. You don't have to bore me with your die hard/revolution/zombie apocalypse boners. None of that will ever happen (or if it does, your guns won't save you). Just say you like to shoot guns. It's okay, I like to shoot guns, too.

... I guess the main difference is you can't accidentally kill people with weed. Well, I guess it's possible to like kill a small child, maybe? Like if a toddler found a bucket of edibles and just went to town, I'm sure that wouldn't go well. I don't think they would *die* though. Maybe they would...

(Not referring to cnut here if that wasn't obvious, I think hunting rifles are fine. Difference is things like bolt action rifles aren't really meant to shoot rapidly)

So you're saying people should have balance in their life and I shouldn't continue the spiral towards Dog Dad. 

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

There is a feedback loop at play here.  Just like when you tell your teenage child they can't wear something because it is inappropriate...Well now they are just going to wear it even harder and more often, and make sure you know they are doing it as a middle finger to you!

takes like this you should talk to lopez about a post at the times

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

This is like the same, incorrect take that American alcohol laws lead to being drinking and alcohol abuse. It ignores that in cultures with more lax attitudes around alcohol, like Russia, alcohol abuse is higher, and that in places with stricter laws and cultural norms around alcohol, like Muslim majority countries, alcohol abuse is lower.

bvdjgumkoulrrwa0bh7l.jpg
WWW.THEONION.COM

LOS ANGELES—In the wake of a renewed string of nationwide attacks, the Orange County Sheriff’s Department issued a statement Monday announcing they would no longer be responding to active shooter reports in an effort to deprive the killers of attention. “If you happen to be caught in the midst of a mass shooting, try…

• Haha 1