~*Official Thread of America's Return to Thoughts & Prayers Normalcy*~

I love how they blame video games and it’s digital gore as the reason people kill. Scream had it right (movies=games in this situation) in that they don’t make them killers, just make them more creative. If they did make people into killers, then these boards would be full of them. 

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Looks like TheRock's favorite news program is trying to place the blame of this famous quote on video games

I'm surprised it took as long as it did... blame video games. Not this kid's parents who bought an emotionally disturbed child a gum or a school system that some how failed to get this kid help even though he was clearly crying out for it and then didn't notify the police despite this kid being a danger to him self and others.  Nope. It's Fortnite's fault.

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm surprised it took as long as it did... blame video games. Not this kid's parents who bought an emotionally disturbed child a gum or a school system that some how failed to get this kid help even though he was clearly crying out for it and then didn't notify the police despite this kid being a danger to him self and others.  Nope. It's Fortnite's fault.

The funniest part is it isn’t as though that quote even originated in the game, or was popularized by the game. It’s like if the kid had quoted a Bible verse and these dumb dumbs picked some random TV show that included it to place blame on that show for the bad actions.

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The funniest part is it isn’t as though that quote even originated in the game, or was popularized by the game. It’s like if the kid had quoted a Bible verse and these dumb dumbs picked some random TV show that included it to place blame on that show for the bad actions.

This is the take I was trying to get from the video.

13 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I honestly didn't even remember the quote being in Fallout 4, lol.

211205-michigan-arrest-crumbley-cc-1234a
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Michigan authorities are moving forward with a broad investigation into Tuesday's school shooting, including a probe into the possibility of an accomplice to

Michigan authorities are moving forward with a broad investigation into Tuesday's school shooting, including a probe into the possibility of an accomplice to the suspect's parents and of the actions taken after school officials were warned about the teen's allegedly disturbing behavior.

45 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
211205-michigan-arrest-crumbley-cc-1234a
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Michigan authorities are moving forward with a broad investigation into Tuesday's school shooting, including a probe into the possibility of an accomplice to

The biggest question is if the school had the right to search his bag after his behavior was deemed troubling. If they did and they chose not to then they're partially culpable. Even then, I remember from my school days way back when, locker searches were allowed, but bag checks weren't. However, you had to volunteer a bag check on entering the school or else you'd be turned away at the door (I was in high school during the height of gang violence in the drug hub of New England).

School officials could have coerced a bag check while his parents were there or just send him home for the psych eval had he refused.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

The biggest question is if the school had the right to search his bag after his behavior was deemed troubling. If they did and they chose not to then they're partially culpable. Even then, I remember from my school days way back when, locker searches were allowed, but bag checks weren't. However, you had to volunteer a bag check on entering the school or else you'd be turned away at the door (I was in high school during the height of gang violence in the drug hub of New England).

School officials could have coerced a bag check while his parents were there or just send him home for the psych eval had he refused.

1000000% a school can search your bag in the circumstances described. It is about as close to a textbook example of “reasonable” you can get.

1 minute ago, Jwheel86 said:

Based on what I'm seeing on conservative social media, most of the outrage over the parents being charged is they also do incredibly reckless things and are worried they might get charged now.

Republicans have never faced consequences for their own actions, so they must be shocked.

40 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Based on what I'm seeing on conservative social media, most of the outrage over the parents being charged is they also do incredibly reckless things and are worried they might get charged now.

"I gave my 10yo a gun for Christmas. I shouldn't get in trouble if he shoots my neighbor."

3 hours ago, Brick said:

Letting anyone under 18 ever handle a gun is something I vehemently am against, yes even in supervised conditions like hunting, or at a range. If an accident were to occur the added tragedy of a child being involved would be insurmountable. 

Like this?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/08/26/two-years-after-9-year-olds-fatal-uzi-shooting-instructors-family-files-wrongful-death-suit/

44 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Exactly the incident I was thinking of when I wrote my post. 

6 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Keep them away, then they’re supposed to know how to properly handle them when they turn 18? Nah. 

That's not what I said. When they're 18 then sure take them out to the range to get trained properly on handling and safety, and take them hunting. Before that, nah tell them if they ever see a gun the safest thing they can do is not touch it. 

18 minutes ago, Brick said:

Exactly the incident I was thinking of when I wrote my post. 

That's not what I said. When they're 18 then sure take them out to the range to get trained properly on handling and safety, and take them hunting. Before that, nah tell them if they ever see a gun the safest thing they can do is not touch it. 

So they can’t hunt til they’re legally adults? Nah. History doesn’t agree. 

Again, I was shooting a little rifle at age 6, like countless others who grew up like I did, with no problems. Teach them young, if you’re going to have them around. What you’re suggesting simply isn’t realistic. 

If hunting is the only reason to have a gun then make being a hunter a part time / full time job and make it something you train for and only have access to the guns at the job site.

If the reason guns are safe is because you need to teach someone to use them at age 6 then everyone is going to have to be training their kids to use guns at age 6.

I'm not sure what there is to understand really... I've always thought that guns should be treated like cars at the very least. For some reason that idea is unfathomable to certain parts of the country. Guns are almost like religous objects in America and despite all evidence to the contrary, any sensible attempts at regulating guns in this country is a non starter. So yeah... I guess I don't understand :shrug:

22 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm not sure what there is to understand really... I've always thought that guns should be treated like cars at the very least. For some reason that idea is unfathomable to certain parts of the country. Guns are almost like religous objects in America and despite all evidence to the contrary, any sensible attempts at regulating guns in this country is a non starter. So yeah... I guess I don't understand :shrug:

I’ve advocated many times for much stricter gun regulation, including licensing and registration to own them.  I’m just saying y’all are clearly being unrealistic when you say things like “no touching guns until age 18” and even more absurd shit like making hunting an official job where you only access guns on the job site. Like, how is that supposed to work? So much hunting is done on private land. So where’s the job site? Take an essential recreation that millions of Americans practice and turn it into a job? It’s just not realistic. That’s now t how things work. And these single shot hunting rifles aren’t the real problem. 

If we are going to be modern second amendment America, it is imperative that children learn basic gun safety. I don't own or keep guns in our home, but all three of my children have spent time at the gun range with my dad and have had many discussions regarding gun safety because my parents do keep guns in their home. And the reality is, if you have children in America they will encounter homes with guns in them. I'd much rather they fully understand the implications of these tools so if they ever find themselves in a situation where an irresponsible gun owner leaves access to their weapons, my kids will know exactly what to do. And truthfully, the only way to full conceptualize the power of a firearm for a child is to hold one, shoot one, and give it the complete respect it deserves.

I'd rather they never have to know these things, but 100s of millions of guns and a poster-Heller/McDonald America mean they need to know.

“Lets wait until children are 18 to explain safe sex practices. They will never encounter a situation where they needs such information if we just tell them not to do it.”

:p 

4 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

I'm not sure how often accidents happen when minors are properly supervised while firing guns, but I'd imagine the rate is pretty low.  Of course, when minors are left unsupervised and around guns, then accidents are more likely to happen.

We don't know because the Gun Lobby has successfully prevented the CDC and other Federal Agencies from publishing any real data on the issue for decades. They even prevented your family doctor from being able to talk about "gun safety" which is an oxymoron in itself. Guns aren't safe period. We know that if a gun is in a household, the odds of someone getting shot in that house go UP, not down. And sense we're sharing personal experiences, guns were in my house growing up. My stepfather kept several pistols, my grandfather had shotguns, my dad and grandmother were both law enforcement so their service weapons were around as well. They gun safety talk we got was this: "This is a dangerous weapon and you are NOT TO TOUCH IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PERIOD". They didn't take us to the range, or show us how to unload and dissassemble the guns... none of that. We didn't even know where to FIND their weapons not that we went looking for them anyway. Pretty sure my stepfather kept his guns in a little safe he had in his closet. I didn't TOUCH a gun until I was seventeen or so. My point is that sure teaching kids how to properly use guns if they're going to be in the house may or may not be a smart thing, I don't know. I don't see any logical reason why we should be letting a six year old handle a gun when we wouldn't let them do something else like drive a car or start a fire. Maybe we should teach fire safety by giving kids a book of matches and a fire extinguisher :thinking: 

The only "stupid" thing I see is excepting that we live in a society where we have to teach children how to be gun intsructors in a vain attempt to keep them safe. Its fucking ridiculous but its not gonna change. A maternity ward full of newborn babies could get blown away in this country and gun fetishists would still be making the same tired ass arguments and they would win. So... all of what I typed above is moot and pointless. I'm just a dumb city slicker who doesn't understand "gun culture" so I'll kindly sit down and shut the fuck up.